More details emerge on Jeep's mystery 3-row SUV

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More details emerge on Jeep's mystery 3-row SUV

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

More details emerge on Jeep's mystery 3-row SUV

Jeep mystery three-row SUV: More details emerge
    Will sit above Grand Cherokee, but below Grand Wagoneer
    ZAC PALMER
    Mar 11th 2019
    autoblog.com

Jeep said it was going to add an unspecified three-row model to its lineup a few weeks ago without elaborating on the topic. FCA CEO Mike Manley offered a little more detail when talking to Auto Express that helps us figure out where this Jeep will slot in the lineup.

"One is the large SUV segment. There are relatively few competitors in there, but it could be a great segment for Jeep, and we'll bring back the Grand Wagoneer at that time," Manley says. "Then the second is a three-row Jeep, which will technically play in the same segment as Grand Cherokee. Roughly 60 percent of that segment is three-row, so Grand Cherokee has really only played in 40 percent. That will open up that part of the segment for us."

These details make it clear where Jeep is positioning this three-rower for the future ó below the Grand Wagoneer, but above the Grand Cherokee. It's starting to look like a true competitor to vehicles like the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse and Honda Pilot. The five-seat Grand Cherokee is the only SUV Jeep has to go up against those models in the midsize SUV segment now, which ices out folks in need of those couple extra seats. The Grand Wagoneer is still expected to be the larger, more luxurious three-row vehicle of these two, as well.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: More details emerge on Jeep's mystery 3-row SUV

Quote Originally Posted by autoblog.com
    "We'll have the choice of Grand Cherokee or a different model," Manley says. "For me, the Grand Cherokee is such an icon, so that's why I talk about [the new model] as a three row Jeep."
    If Manley is saying this, and he is technically still running Jeep while he searches for his replacement, it's likely that the product will have another name.

However, how this gets ultimately rationalized as new models are added to the lineup (the interplay between "Wagoneer" and "Grand Wagoneer" will NOT be the same as the same distinction between the "Cherokee" and "Grand Cherokee") is yet to be seen.
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks

You guys must be psychic...I was just searching for news on the wagoneer/grand wagoneer.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,760 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Jeep mystery three-row SUV: More details emerge
    Will sit above Grand Cherokee, but below Grand Wagoneer
    ZAC PALMER
    Mar 11th 2019
    autoblog.com

Jeep said it was going to add an unspecified three-row model to its lineup a few weeks ago without elaborating on the topic. FCA CEO Mike Manley offered a little more detail when talking to Auto Express that helps us figure out where this Jeep will slot in the lineup.

"One is the large SUV segment. There are relatively few competitors in there, but it could be a great segment for Jeep, and we'll bring back the Grand Wagoneer at that time," Manley says. "Then the second is a three-row Jeep, which will technically play in the same segment as Grand Cherokee. Roughly 60 percent of that segment is three-row, so Grand Cherokee has really only played in 40 percent. That will open up that part of the segment for us."

These details make it clear where Jeep is positioning this three-rower for the future ó below the Grand Wagoneer, but above the Grand Cherokee. It's starting to look like a true competitor to vehicles like the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse and Honda Pilot. The five-seat Grand Cherokee is the only SUV Jeep has to go up against those models in the midsize SUV segment now, which ices out folks in need of those couple extra seats. The Grand Wagoneer is still expected to be the larger, more luxurious three-row vehicle of these two, as well.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

It may be worth remembering that RoW markets use 3-row SUVs a size below North America - for example the Hyundai Santa Fe has two versions in North America, the 2-row SWB Sport and the 3-row LWB version, but RoW markets get a 3-row SWB version as well as a 2-row version while the LWB version is only sold in a few markets.

People size and expectation make the difference between the various markets.

I've no idea what FCA's plans are but the Grand Cherokee is quite big enough to be engineered for 3-rows for RoW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    It may be worth remembering that RoW markets use 3-row SUVs a size below North America - for example the Hyundai Santa Fe has two versions in North America, the 2-row SWB Sport and the 3-row LWB version, but RoW markets get a 3-row SWB version as well as a 2-row version while the LWB version is only sold in a few markets.

People size and expectation make the difference between the various markets.

I've no idea what FCA's plans are but the Grand Cherokee is quite big enough to be engineered for 3-rows for RoW.
    You would think that since it shares its architecture with the Durango that we would've seen a 3 row variant by now.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (03-21-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 547 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Allpar says this will be named Grand Cherokee Unlimited and should be out around 2020 for a 2021 model year introduction along with an all new Grand Cherokee. Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer will follow after this around 2021.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,760 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    You would think that since it shares its architecture with the Durango that we would've seen a 3 row variant by now.
    For a car introduced 8 years ago, it may have been a case of market focus - similar to the VW Touareg (SWB 2-row) and Audi Q7 (LWB 3-row) avoiding internal competition.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 547 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

I never understood this since it's literally the same chassis the Grand Cherokee rides on now with some modifications. I've read when the three row GC comes out the Durango is gone and supposedly Chrysler is getting a three row SUV as well.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

My thoughts:

Cherokee--FWD as is.

Grand Cherokee-- Unibody As is moves to its Next Gen Platform.

Wagoneer-- Unibody "Mysterious" 3 row SUV built on the Next Gen Grand Cherokee Platform.

Grand Wagoneer--- BOF SUV, Shared with Durango since Durango its moving from its Unibody platform.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtsdart For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (03-25-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I never understood this since it's literally the same chassis the Grand Cherokee rides on now with some modifications. I've read when the three row GC comes out the Durango is gone and supposedly Chrysler is getting a three row SUV as well.
    I would bet nothing on this. Chrysler doesn't seem to be getting anything product-wise, and Durango is going nowhere. You want a 2021 Durango? It will definitely be there, in a new form.

Thanks

I actually read somewhere that the GW was going to be Ram 1500 based
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-22-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I actually read somewhere that the GW was going to be Ram 1500 based
    It is along with the Durango.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    For a car introduced 8 years ago, it may have been a case of market focus - similar to the VW Touareg (SWB 2-row) and Audi Q7 (LWB 3-row) avoiding internal competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The reason we havenít seen a 3-row Grand Cherokee is all because of plant capacity. They crank down Durango capacity because they need to move GCís. Thereís no room for another variant. Thatís obviously being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    I would bet nothing on this. Chrysler doesn't seem to be getting anything product-wise, and Durango is going nowhere. You want a 2021 Durango? It will definitely be there, in a new form.
    Thereís a pattern that you must follow with FCA announcements. Nowadays they donít say anything about new product until the plant strategy has been aligned. News on Windsor and other FWD platform plants will be coming soon. News about Chrysler vehicles will follow soon.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (03-22-2019),ryannel2003 (03-22-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,752 Times in 3,690 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

This is just grand!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. Winston Churchill

Life is hard; itís harder if youíre stupid. John Wayne

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

69gtsdart (03-22-2019),richmond2000 (03-22-2019)

Thanks

RoW = Rest of World?

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information