Mazda developing an all new straight six engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda developing an all new straight six engine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 598 Posts

Mazda developing an all new straight six engine

Mazda Challenges BMW and Mercedes, Shames Toyota With Development of New Straight-Six Skyactiv-X Engine
    Jalopnik
    05/09/2019
    Justin T. Westbrook

According to the March 2019 fiscal year results report, Mazda is apparently developing an all-new straight-six engine with Skyactiv-X technology, joining BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar with renewed commitment to the best engine you can put in a car, and making Toyota look a little silly.

In this presentation titled Fiscal Year 2019 March Results on Mazda’s investor website, page 25 details some future product plans for the company going forward, including expanding on its fantastic Kodo design language, developing a mild-hybrid system and its own electric vehicle technology, and then seemingly out of nowhere casually lists a Skyactiv-X straight-six, as well as a Skyactiv-D straight-six diesel.
    The straight-six engine is on a bit of a comeback, with Mercedes developing a new modular engine which can be paired with a mile hybrid setup, Jaguar developing its own similar straight-six mild hybrid setup, BMW sticking to its straight-six roots, and then Toyota borrowing BMW’s engine (and a lot more) for the new Supra.

Just this week, Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer of the new Supra, told Jalopnik it would have been a logistical nightmare for Toyota to develop its own new straight-six for the Supra, involving years of development, a new factory, and would have driven up the cost of the car.

That’s why it’s so surprising, and kind of entertaining, for Mazda to come along and quietly announce its developing a straight-six, as it’s a much smaller car company than Toyota.
    In Europe, where the Skactiv-X is due to go on sale next month, the four-cylinder version of the engine makes about 178 horsepower and 163 lb-ft of torque, and it’s paired with the GT and GT Plus trims of the new Mazda 3.

A Skyactiv-X straight-six would likely be packaged with Mazda’s large-architecture cars, including a next-generation Mazda 6 and its lineup of larger crossovers, though that’s purely speculation.

Jalopnik reached out to Mazda just to make sure we weren’t seeing things and a spokesperson confirmed the development of both straight-sixes. The statement reads, “We’re excited to bring these powertrains to our future vehicles as we continue on our path to premium. We know our fans will be yearning for additional details, however specific models, performance figures and market rollout will be disclosed at an appropriate time.”

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-13-2019),AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019),Ed753 (05-10-2019),Evo69 (05-13-2019),megeebee (05-10-2019),StarCruiser (05-13-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 644 Posts

Re: Mazda developing an all new straight six engine

More importantly to note is that they're planning to use a longitudinal engine layout in their large architecture which will likely underpin the next Mazda6, CX5, and CX9. ZoomZoom...it is about to get serious @ Mazda.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019),buildacariwant (05-10-2019),CJH (05-10-2019),megeebee (05-10-2019),StarCruiser (05-13-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Volvo had a Twin Scroll Turbo Straight six in the last 60 and 90 series. To this day it is one of the sweetest engines I have ever driven. The midrange punch was downright silly. Shame it didn't carry on.

As a huge fan of the Straight 6, I'm really happy to see more automakers embracing it than seeing it go away forever.
    Last edited by Let Them Fail; 05-10-2019 at 10:54 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Let Them Fail For This Useful Post:

jesda1 (05-12-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

So am I reading this right. A 2L turbo engine is making 178HP? Isn't that like really low. I would expect 230-275 for a 2L turbo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    So am I reading this right. A 2L turbo engine is making 178HP? Isn't that like really low. I would expect 230-275 for a 2L turbo.
    Skyactiv-X doesn't have turbos
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (05-10-2019),CJH (05-10-2019),Ruperts Trooper (05-10-2019),Voltastic (06-21-2019)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 865 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    More importantly to note is that they're planning to use a longitudinal engine layout in their large architecture which will likely underpin the next Mazda6, CX5, and CX9. ZoomZoom...it is about to get serious @ Mazda.
    The lack of performance engines are their really only downfall, their exterior & interior designs are already top notch. The turbo 4 helped, but straight 6's are sweeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Let Them Fail View Post
    Volvo had a Twin Scroll Turbo Straight six in the last 60 and 90 series. To this day it is one of the sweetest engines I have ever driven. The midrange punch was downright silly. Shame it didn't carry on.
    Having driven the XC90 as a rental, it could use a straight 6. Not a fan of their current engines.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (05-13-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    The lack of performance engines are their really only downfall, their exterior & interior designs are already top notch. The turbo 4 helped, but straight 6's are sweeet.
    Couldn't agree more. Every time I see a modern Mazda on the road it grabs my attention, and I'd replace my wife's Equinox with a CX something if their engines had enough oomph to get out of their own way.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Every time I see a modern Mazda on the road it grabs my attention, and I'd replace my wife's Equinox with a CX something if their engines had enough oomph to get out of their own way.
    Ever thought about replacing her Equinox w/ a Mazda6. The '18.5s and '19s have the 2.3T from the CX9 as an available option. A friend of mine recently picked up a Soul Red Mazda6 Grand Touring for his wife and they absolutely love it.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If Mazda offers a manual with their straight 6 I will throw my money at them right now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-14-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I find it odd that Mazda is spending so much on this engine with so many limitations of being used in most of their products.

I6 engines are great but the packaging is difficult and in this day and age of high development cost it could hurt them in the long run.

GM found out the hard way with the high cost and limited use of the DOHC I6 they had. Cost stopped use in the full size trucks as it was cheaper to put a V8 in it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to scott3 For This Useful Post:

geozinger_again (05-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scott3 View Post
    I find it odd that Mazda is spending so much on this engine with so many limitations of being used in most of their products.

I6 engines are great but the packaging is difficult and in this day and age of high development cost it could hurt them in the long run.

GM found out the hard way with the high cost and limited use of the DOHC I6 they had. Cost stopped use in the full size trucks as it was cheaper to put a V8 in it.
    GMs I6 was giant wasn't it? Like 4.2 Liters or something? I'd imagine a DOHC engine that tall would have packaging issues.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks

Here Mazda is going to do what Cadillac has only tried to do for itself and failed.
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

VS Ute 5Litre (05-10-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,270 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

You watch

GM pulls out of making mainstream RWD cars and now we have Koreans and **** eating their lunch

sometimes you just have to sit and shake your head in the stupidity of this company
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (05-19-2019),hq308 (05-12-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    The lack of performance engines are their really only downfall, their exterior & interior designs are already top notch.
    Yeah I don't have a lot of faith in them coming up with a top notch engine.
    The common theme is:
    I4=2.0
    I6=3.0
    V8=4.0

That means Mazda will do something goofy and come up with a 2.5 liter I6 and be underpowered compared to everyone else.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Yeah I don't have a lot of faith in them coming up with a top notch engine.
    The common theme is:
    I4=2.0
    I6=3.0
    V8=4.0

That means Mazda will do something goofy and come up with a 2.5 liter I6 and be underpowered compared to everyone else.
    At least they didnt decide to build a full size truck with an I-4 that makes less power and torque then their direct competitors V6 while having the same exact displacement and getting worse fuel economy.

Kudos to Mazda, if they make a rwd sedan or wagon with a straight 6 I would certainly bail on GM and give them a try.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information