Massive Manufacturing Problems with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator - Page 7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Massive Manufacturing Problems with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,291 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    (fixed)

.... and they still can't get it right.

The XT6 has much less in common with the Acadia than the Aviator does with the Explorer. The 2 Fords have the same track and wheelbase. The XT6 and Acadia differ in both. That indicates a level of differentiation that the Fords simply don't show. The Aviator was much easier to bring to Market.
    Holy ****, Ford really screwed the pooch here! I cannot believe they didn't realize that what truly makes a vehicle different is track and wheelbase, ****ing amateurs! I sure hope for the mental health of some here that the Escalade lives up to expectaions... and has those all important track and wheelbase differences from the Chevy!
    LOL, yeah.
    As we know differentiation is all about what the customer sees and feels, so a different top hat is required first and foremost, be that with or without changes to track and wheelbase.

Explorer and Aviator sharing the new RWD 119” wheelbase and same track means that both are seen as fresh and new as well as different to each other.
    GM with Acadia, XT6, Enclave and Traverse has two short wheelbase and two long wheelbase vehicle groups, the added width in XT6 is needed to distinguish it more from its three brothers as much as anything but that’s not to say it’s not effective, i and others would have been happy if Lincoln had produced a FWD Aviator in 2011 instead of the MKT, IMO, that’s a fitting frame of reference to this discussion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Re: Massive Manufacturing Problems with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    LOL, yeah.
    As we know differentiation is all about what the customer sees and feels, so a different top hat is required first and foremost, be that with or without changes to track and wheelbase.

Explorer and Aviator sharing the new RWD 119” wheelbase and same track means that both are seen as fresh and new as well as different to each other.
    GM with Acadia, XT6, Enclave and Traverse has two short wheelbase and two long wheelbase vehicle groups, the added width in XT6 is needed to distinguish it more from its three brothers as much as anything but that’s not to say it’s not effective, i and others would have been happy if Lincoln had produced a FWD Aviator in 2011 instead of the MKT, IMO, that’s a fitting frame of reference to this discussion.
    Come on guy. What the heck does that sentence even mean?? Jeez.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (10-09-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    In this particular case, I'd say its best to pass on buying the 1st year production vehicle and let them work out the bugs.
    almost nothing changes the first two years nowdays. 3rd year is probably the best but then you're so close to that MCE... LOL.

I'd probably avoid any all new vehicle until the MCE, assuming there are no huge changes. Maybe just go for the last year of that style?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,291 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: Massive Manufacturing Problems with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Come on guy. What the heck does that sentence even mean?? Jeez.
    Your confusion is understandable if you read just that sentence and not understand the lead up to it.

My post started with
    LOL, Yeah.

then, this follows,
    Explorer and Aviator sharing the new RWD 119” wheelbase and same track means that both are seen as fresh and new as well as different to each other. (courtesy of different top hats)

And the difference to GM is,
    Last edited by jpd80; 10-09-2019 at 07:17 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,352 Posts

This is what happens when you cut the Engineering staff and think they will "Do More with Less"

No, they will do "Less with Less" since they were already far past the breaking point.

Worst thing is it will cost you 10X what you "Saved" by getting rid of the wrong people.

Development Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering must be staffed with enough personnel to get the job done and remain with the company to maintain continuity, this does not happen a U.S. based companies who think that Engineering can be handled by short term "Contractors" who bounce from company to company. Most U.S. based Automakers still have far too many non-technical Salary personnel as a percentage of their "Indirect" workforce compared to Asian Automakers who prioritize their Technical "Indirect" over "Non-Technical" and have a much smaller number of "Indirect" workers vs. "Direct Labor".

Designing and building today's automotive products takes a cohesive staff who can work together efficiently to create and manufacture the product from initial design to final production.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-12-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Here is an update; the 2020 Ford Police Interceptor models (based on the 2020 Explorer) are also delayed: https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...er/3929903002/

Ford is still being tight-lipped about the delays and quality issues.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

samesun (10-14-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Here is an update; the 2020 Ford Police Interceptor models (based on the 2020 Explorer) are also delayed: https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...er/3929903002/

Ford is still being tight-lipped about the delays and quality issues.
    That’s a disturbing article. So a big problem is the retooling of the factory. How long has ford been making cars? Smh.

All I can say is that I wouldn’t touch a 2020 explorer/aviator model for anything close to msrp. Even then, many 2020’s may be a turd with schitt resale value

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567