Maserati names new small SUV Grecale for 2021 launch

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Maserati names new small SUV Grecale for 2021 launch

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Maserati's relaunch plan includes sub-Levante SUV to arrive next year; electric version due in 2022

The brand's important second SUV, following the larger Levante, will be called the Grecale - named after the "fierce north-east wind of the Mediterranean Sea".

estined to play "a key role in the brand's development", the Porsche Macan rival will be built on the same production line as the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) plant in Cassino, Italy.

It will also share much of its underpinnings with the Stelvio, and a fully electric version is also due to arrive by 2022. However, the combustion engined models will use Maserati rather than Alfa-sourced engines.

Maserati global planning boss Francesco Tonon told Autocar that the Grecale will be "the most practical in its class, but it will also be luxurious", adding: "It will feature the best in class design and features. Of course it's still a Maserati, but it will also offer best-in-class performance and handling".

SUVs are expected to account for 70% of Maserati's sales by 2025, with saloons reduced to 15% and sports cars, such as the newly launched MC20, making up 5%.

The new SUV was first confirmed back in 2018 by former FCA boss Sergio Marchionne as part of a total overhaul of its product line-up. Also included are the MC20 in three variants: coupé, 'Spider' convertible and fully electric, plus a new Granturismo and Grancabrio, due in both internal-combustion and electric forms.

By 2023/2024, the brand will also have a new-generation Levante and Quattroporte, also both available with an electric powertrain. In top-spec form, this will use an 800V electrical system and three motors.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...le-2021-launch

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bare For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-16-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Maserati names new small SUV Grecale for 2021 launch

Maserati global planning boss Francesco Tonon told Autocar that the Grecale will be "the most practical in its class, but it will also be luxurious", adding: "It will feature the best in class design and features. Of course it's still a Maserati, but it will also offer best-in-class performance and handling".
    It will be the best at everything! I love marketing! Be interesting to see it. My manager has the Levante, Covid-19 got in the way of me getting a ride in it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It will be the best at everything! I love marketing! Be interesting to see it. My manager has the Levante, Covid-19 got in the way of me getting a ride in it.

Stelvio right now is the best performing or the best handling SUV in that particular class. It's more so for base versions without special suspension and with 235 mm wide tires all around. This car is based on Stelvio withIt few years of additional development which will help.

It will be most spacious in class. Insiders said that wheelbase will be around 10 cm (4") longer than on Stelvio.

Most luxurious? That's up for debate.

Base engine will be 2.0 I4 with 330 HP and 450 Nm of torque at just 1500 rpm due to electric supercharger which also means no turbo lag and 48V tech on board.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bare For This Useful Post:

CJH (09-16-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,051 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    Stelvio right now is the best performing or the best handling SUV in that particular class.
    Stelvio is a little under appreciated in its class IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    Base engine will be 2.0 I4 with 330 HP and 450 Nm of torque at just 1500 rpm due to electric supercharger which also means no turbo lag and 48V tech on board.
    That sounds interesting.......

It seems like they have accepted the fact that most of the market is CUV's now. Also interesting that everything will be electrified in the not to distant future. I kept hearing on here that Fiatsler had no "e" plans and is a dead man walking.....
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (09-18-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I kept hearing on here that Fiatsler had no "e" plans and is a dead man walking.....
    I've been laughing at this for quite some time. The internet also said FCA couldn't produce a hybrid if they tried. The Pacifica Hybrid came out and people ignored it willfully. The FCA portfolio will be full of electrified products by 2023. And the danger of them being cancelled is relatively low at this point- all the plant moves and powertrain mules are already in testing and the Renegade and Wrangler 4xe are about to hit the road.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

Bare (09-16-2020),Greg Burr (09-16-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (09-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Stelvio is a little under appreciated in its class IMHO.

That sounds interesting.......

It seems like they have accepted the fact that most of the market is CUV's now. Also interesting that everything will be electrified in the not to distant future. I kept hearing on here that Fiatsler had no "e" plans and is a dead man walking.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    I've been laughing at this for quite some time. The internet also said FCA couldn't produce a hybrid if they tried. The Pacifica Hybrid came out and people ignored it willfully. The FCA portfolio will be full of electrified products by 2023. And the danger of them being cancelled is relatively low at this point- all the plant moves and powertrain mules are already in testing and the Renegade and Wrangler 4xe are about to hit the road.
    Agreed...I don't understand why some keep beating this "Dodge/Chrysler is going to die and Ram/Jeep are going to be sold off to China" drum. Dodge's death would be one of the worst things to happen to the automotive world since....**** ever, it won't be close to how easy it was to say goodbye to Pontiac because at the time of its demise it was a shell of its former self peddling G6, G5, G3, and Torrids.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information