Lincoln MKZ Could Be Replaced With All-New Zephyr RWD Sedan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln MKZ Could Be Replaced With All-New Zephyr RWD Sedan

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

18 Apr 2019
    by Mircea Panait
    autoevolution.com

Fresh from revealing the Corsair in New York as the replacement for the MKC, the Lincoln Motor Company could replace the MKZ with the Zephyr in 2021. As opposed to the current generation and the Continental, the CD6 vehicle architecture would allow rear- and all-wheel drive.

Car & Driver found a trademark of the Zephyr from 2016, filed anew instead of being renewed from earlier trademarks. The last time Lincoln used this name was in 2005, then switched to MKZ two years later. According to the motoring publication, “Lincoln may show a concept version of the Zephyr at some point in 2020.”

As you’re well aware, there’s no solid proof the Zephyr will come back. As a matter of fact, the Black Label has been discontinued for the 2019 model year and the MKZ is one of the two “value destroyers” in the lineup. The other one is the slow-selling Continental.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

steve333 (05-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Lincoln MKZ Could Be Replaced With All-New Zephyr RWD Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by autoevolution.com
    On the other hand, the S650 generation of the Mustang will transition to the CD6. This means that Ford still believes in passenger cars, paving the way for the Zephyr in 2021.

In the case of the Explorer and Aviator, the CD6 has proven itself with hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains. The Explorer ST develops 400 horsepower from the 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6, which tops at 143 miles per hour thanks to the 10R80 automatic transmission and Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System.

If Lincoln were to use the CD6 for the Zephyr, then we wouldn’t be surprised if the Fusion would go rear- and all-wheel drive in the nearest of futures as well. For the time being, Ford plans to kill off the mid-size sedan in the United States of America.
    I don't know if I buy the idea of the Fusion moving to CD6 and going RWD. However, the fact that Lincoln's Aviator rides on CD6, and is making a real go of it in China besides, makes one wonder if any future mid-sized sedan (whether called Zephyr or otherwise) wouldn't be in the offering at Lincoln.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,382 Times in 3,106 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Let’s hear how it’s superior to Cadillac next

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (05-28-2019),Vagon11 (05-26-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,310 Posts

Makes sense as the Zephyr will share parts with the Corsair and/or Mustang - probably both.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 Times in 3,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

No more Black Label? Black Label was one of the things they were doing that I liked. My assumption is there was a low take rate due to the sky high cost, but because of the low take rate that sky high cost wasn't enough to cover the cost.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    No more Black Label? Black Label was one of the things they were doing that I liked. My assumption is there was a low take rate due to the sky high cost, but because of the low take rate that sky high cost wasn't enough to cover the cost.
    I think it’s only the BL trim on MKZ that was discontinued. Afaik, BL has been very successful for Lincoln otherwise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,870 Posts

"Could"?

I think if this happens, it will replace Continental as well.
    Last edited by megeebee; 05-26-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    "The Four Most Over-Rated Things In Life Are Champagne, Lobster, An*l Sex, And Picnics."

-Christopher Hitchens

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,068 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

LastI heard, this long talked about mystical RWD Lincoln was dead and buried.

For all the money Ford peed up against the wall building Meh FWD AWD vehicles, it could have had an cost effective Falcon based MKZ and Continental years ago but too obstinate to evolve the Falcon platform into its RWD CD4....
    I mean, that was the original global RWD plan that Mulally scotched back in 2008, I ttruly was a worthy successor to Crown Victoria.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-27-2019 at 07:28 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (05-27-2019),chinamonty (05-27-2019),SierraGS (05-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    LastI heard, this long talked about mystical RWD Lincoln was dead and buried.

For all the money Ford peed up against the wall building Meh FWD AWD vehicles, it could have had an cost effective Falcon based MKZ and Continental years ago but too obstinate to evolve the Falcon platform into its RWD CD4....
    I mean, that was the original global RWD plan that Mulally scotched back in 2008, I ttruly was a worthy successor to Crown Victoria.
    But the FWD platforms get 1 more MPG!!

Now they won't exist.

Nice move.

At least Ford has finally figured it out and is not bankrupting the company building two RWD platforms that had no reason to exist.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

If Zephyr goes RWD, you can almost guarantee the next gen Continental will as well. To leverage cost, a Ford Falcon for Australia would make sense with sales to police departments who still want sedans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    If Zephyr goes RWD, you can almost guarantee the next gen Continental will as well.
    The last thing Lincoln needs is 2 sedans no matter which set of wheels is doing the work. 1 would be plenty.
    "The Four Most Over-Rated Things In Life Are Champagne, Lobster, An*l Sex, And Picnics."

-Christopher Hitchens

18. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

Greg Burr (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

They need to place an emphasis on getting CUV's out first (same with GM), but I think it is a mistake to overlook sedans, even in this shrinking market. CUV's are about functionality, luxury sedans are about passion and styling, they will define the brand. They don't need a full lineup of sedans, but they need something, and it needs to be rwd for the proportions. If Cadillac or Lincoln want to be all CUV/SUV's, then I think they need to look at Land Rover and build an off road capability image. Or they need to figure out something that they'll be known for - I say off road capable because it is something tangible to target and test. Just like luxury cars with excessive amounts of speed/handling capability that most don't use, CUV's/SUV's need that off road capability that won't be used - excess.

Thanks

Also, just because an Automaker registers or re-registers a trademark name does not mean it has any definite plans to attach it to a production vehicle.

-Christopher Hitchens

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-27-2019),Greg Burr (05-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    They need to place an emphasis on getting CUV's out first (same with GM), but I think it is a mistake to overlook sedans, even in this shrinking market. CUV's are about functionality, luxury sedans are about passion and styling, they will define the brand. They don't need a full lineup of sedans, but they need something. If Cadillac or Lincoln want to be all CUV/SUV's, then I think they need to look at Land Rover and build an off road capability image. Or they need to figure out something that they'll be known for - I say off road capable because it is something tangible to target and test. Just like luxury cars with excessive amounts of speed/handling capability that most don't use, CUV's/SUV's need that off road capability that won't be used - excess.
    Disagree on Land Rover, which only really sell Range Rovers in the U.S., the Off-Road image does not fit either brand and would be better off looking at what Porsche has done with their SUV's which are their best sellers yet still retain a connection to Porsche's heritage and there is a far larger market for SUV's that can ride and handle well, have all off the luxury amenities but can handle foul weather driving and the odd occasion you need to actually drive off road or avoid an obstacle. Same strategy has worked for Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
    Last edited by SierraGS; 05-27-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Disagree on Land Rover, which only really sell Range Rovers in the U.S., the Off-Road image does not fit either brand and would be better off looking at what Porsche has done with their SUV's which are their best sellers yet still retain a connection to Porsche's heritage and there is a far larger market for SUV's that can ride and handle well, have all off the luxury amenities but can handle foul weather driving and the odd occasion you need to actually drive off road or avoid an obstacle. Same strategy has worked for Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
    Porsche is fine too, they just need some kind of excess capability. The difference in comparing to the established Euro brands is exactly that, they are established and can get away with boring, mainstream type CUV's as they already have images. Lincoln and Cadillac at best have no image and more realistically have tarnished old man car images - they need to really step up their CUV/SUV images. And yes, though I hate the styling inside and out, I think Lincoln did a good job with the Aviator. Cadillac did phone it in with the XT6, but I do think it isn't a killer to Cadillac's growing reputation because they've been trying to rebuild the brand a lot longer than Lincoln; and Cadillac has more credible vehicles on the market (even though some don't sell).

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information