Kia Unveils Premium Minivan "Grand Carnival"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kia Unveils Premium Minivan "Grand Carnival"

Thanks

Kia Unveils Premium Minivan "Grand Carnival"

Kia Unveils Premium Minivan

By Na Jeong-ju
    Staff Reporter
    Kia Motors, South Korea’s second largest carmaker, yesterday unveiled a premium mini van, aiming to challenge the industry’s big guns, such as the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna and Dodge Caravan.

Grand Carnival is the result of a 250 billion won ($240 million) investment over the past 26 months, and was engineered to match world-class vans in terms of driving technologies, convenience and safety features, the carmaker said.

Kia will export the vehicle to the United States in September and explore other markets next year in hopes of achieving annual sales of 200,000 units.

``We’ve developed the Grand Carnival to target global mini van markets, and it surely stands over all existing models in South Korea in most technological aspects,’’ Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group chairman Chung Mong-koo said during a launch in Seoul.

``Kia applied its know-how and top technologies to manufacturing the Grand Carnival. We believe the car will open our export market wider.’’

Kia plans to sell 50,000 Grand Carnivals this year. Next year, its Korean sales are expected to reach 40,000 units, and overseas sales will be over 160,000 units, the company said.

The 11-seat Grand Carnival is a revamped version of the Carnival recreation vehicle, which was first introduced in 1998. New safety features include a variable rack stroke system and a vehicle dynamic control system, which are aimed at enhancing stability while driving. It also adopted an integrated memory system, which adjusts the seat for a driver automatically when the engine starts.

Kia officials said the vehicle’s 170-horsepower engine and state-of-the-art entertainment features are also some of the advantages for customers.

Owners of the Grand Carnival can enjoy a tax deduction for mini vans in South Korea. In 2008, when a new tax system is applied, Carnival owners will pay some 760,000 won less tax than the owners of sports utility vehicles with the same engine capacity, Kia officials said.
    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...9312111910.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Kia Unveils Premium Minivan "Grand Carnival"

so it's better than a sedona, but has less HP, well it looks like a good replacement for sedona, but needs the 3.5L V6 not a 170 HP engine

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Wait wait, 4 rows of seating? Am I seeing that correctly? The exterior doesn't look large enough for it. Nice looking interior, though.

And "Grand Carnival"? I hope they change the name when they bring it over here. And there's no way that engine will make it to our shores.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see the U.S. spec version.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

O my lord it has 11 seats???!!?? That could be a whole soccer team, you could take both teams from basketball out for an ice cream. Man, what is the legroom and wheelbase going to be like on this thing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    so it's better than a sedona, but has less HP, well it looks like a good replacement for sedona, but needs the 3.5L V6 not a 170 HP engine
    Well the 170hp engine is a diesel, so the hp deficency is made up in torque and fuel economy.

Eleven-pasenger seating is innovative in a minivan but it looks like access to the 4th row is going to be quite a feat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevynj
    O my lord it has 11 seats???!!?? That could be a whole soccer team, you could take both teams from basketball out for an ice cream. Man, what is the legroom and wheelbase going to be like on this thing?
    This thing must be frickin huge and frickin slow cuz it's HEAVY!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    This thing must be frickin huge and frickin slow cuz it's HEAVY!!!
    Gonna need a whole lot more engine to move that flock and that metal....if its actually metal...

But i must say the interior look real nice. I still think its weird to have the shifter center forward like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevynj
    Gonna need a whole lot more engine to move that flock and that metal....if its actually metal...

But i must say the interior look real nice. I still think its weird to have the shifter center forward like that.
    yah, i kinda like a column shifter in a minivan

Thanks

this also looks like its the KDM spec/gloabl vehicle. the US market isn't as diesel friendly, so we'll get a good strong V-6. and 11 seats?? though in europe and asia they have 6/7 seaters based on focus sized wagons... so for them our minivans are huge.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it going to be called "Grand Carnival" for the U.S. or are they still calling it Sedona?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad they went from a Windstar rear end to a Caravan rear end. They even borrowed the Dodge van's name!

Great interior, though.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll be the Sedona in the US (the Korean model was always called Carnival), will have more than 170hp, and only 7 seats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson
    It'll be the Sedona in the US (the Korean model was always called Carnival), will have more than 170hp, and only 7 seats.
    You'd think they'd at least offer the 11 seating option here. There are a lot of people with more kids than seats. It would be an unchallenged, and therefore lucrative, segment.

Thanks

I Loved that blond chick in the red dress.

The Asian ones are just too skinny... :p That blond one dressed in red was the only one, who caught my entire attention to the KIA...whatever that thing is...
    Last edited by Kowalski; 07-17-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

I can't believe we all forgot that the U.S. Spec Sedona debuted at the Chicago show

Tada: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11268

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast