GM Inside News Forum banner

Jeep Wrangler with 392 6.4L Hemi Teased.....

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  big swede 
#1 ·
Jeep Wrangler with 392 6.4L V8 teased ahead of Ford Bronco Reveal
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128831_jeep-wrangler-with-392-6-4-liter-v-8-teased-ahead-of-ford-bronco-reveal
July 11, 2020
By: Joel Feder

Jeep may crash the 2021 Ford Bronco's party early. On Saturday, the off-road brand teased a Jeep Wrangler with a 392 cubic-inch V-8 on Facebook.

The single shadowy teaser image shows a 392 badge on the hood of a Wrangler. A raised hood scoop appears to be a functional and feed cold air to cool the big V-8. The fender flares are painted body color as is the roof, but the side view mirrors are black.

Expect more information to come on Monday regarding the Jeep Wrangler 392 to try and steal the Bronco's spotlight.

---

I have been waiting for Jeep to throw the Hemi in the Wrangler, and now the Gladiator, however I expected it to be the 5.7L, not the 6.4L. Its kind of the one thing that has been missing since the range has grown in size. I have a feeling they know they need more power, especially for the Gladiator, but until the new I6 Turbo is ready looks like its the Hemi......and perfect timing to defend its turf.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I wonder how many Jeep could afford to sell before CAFE became a big problem
and there's is a very good reason why big engines in small vehicles are not seen today.

I also think that this is the very reaction that Ford was expecting in front of Bronco launch,
pretty much a given the moment Farley said that Bronco would be a better than Wrangler.

#8 ·
Most definitely, Jeep will either announce this as a limited run or price it high enough to keep it exclusive.
I'm hoping that Bronco's V6 will actually be the 3.0 nano from Explorer with 400 HP, not the 325 HP 2.7 V6.
Now that would make things very interesting, especially if Ford also had a power up kit like the 2.3 EB.

#11 ·
I really believe that this was one of the several concepts that were going to be shown at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari. Road and Track was claiming earlier this morning that this is now a go for production.

If I remember correctly Jeep always said that there wouldn't be a JK with a V8 from the factory because it wouldn't meet crash standards as is.

Either way, very cool and I'm excited to see the Bronco reveal tonight.

#12 ·
I too am looking forward to the Bronco unveil. IMO styling will dictate if this is a hit or...another Toyota FJ. TBH, I really don't see this making much a dent in Jeeps volume, it'll have a greater effect on the Explorer's sales #s

#16 ·
The problem with building thirsty v8s on SWB vehicles is that CAFE is calculated on the inverse mean of all vehicles to represent gallons per mile. It’s to stop people hiding thirsty vehicles in group as you just can’t average then out against say, diesels, it takes like five or ten times as many efficient vehicles to cover the naughty ones.

#17 · (Edited)
FCA's solution to everything is to slip a Hellcat in it, they know Ford won't do V8s, even if their EcoBoost engines can outperform them with less weight and better economy. It's the exclusivity and sound of a V8 more than than performance at this point.

Ford can easily match or best this with the 3.0T. The NG Ranger Raptor is getting the 3.0T so stay tuned. If you actually want to go fast across rough terrain, you don't want a heavy V8 and solid front axle, that's a pretty terrible combo. This has the aura of a pavement princess rather than a real off-roader.

Regardless, the standard and available engines of Bronco still best all of the Wrangler engines. The engines you buy are more important than the ones you fantasize about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.