Jeep plug-in hybrids are coming, will be called '4xe'

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Jeep plug-in hybrids are coming, will be called '4xe'

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 957 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

The Compass and Renegade will be joined by a Wrangler PHEV
    JOEL STOCKSDALE
    Jan 2nd 2020
    autoblog.com

Jeep will announce the name of its future hybrid models at CES: 4xe, a badge that will be worn by all electrified vehicles from the marque. That applies to both Jeeps with a mild-hybrid assist like the eTorque system available on the 2020 Jeep Wrangler, but also on models that are more fully hybridized, such as the previously revealed Jeep Compass and Renegade plug-in hybrids.

In addition to the new naming scheme, Jeep made more concrete announcements for the upcoming Wrangler plug-in hybrid as well as the aforementioned Compass and Renegade. All three will have production models shown with details through this coming year. We already know that the small Jeeps will feature a turbocharged 1.3-liter inline-four with electric motors, one of which exclusively powers the rear wheels. Full electric range is estimated at about 31 miles, and maximum horsepower is 240.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com

"La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

Juche (01-11-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: Jeep plug-in hybrids are coming, will be called '4xe'

It's just not Jeep hybrids that are coming really like the sound of the new baby Jeep EV, that FCA PSA are jointly developing for the European markets it will have 211 EV mile range.

Auto Express

New baby Jeep SUV set for 2022 launch

Baby Jeep SUV set to offer a rugged alternative to the Nissan Juke and likely to feature petrol, diesel and electric powertrains

Jeep has wasted no time in making use of the new partnership between FCA and PSA by starting development on a new ‘ultra-compact’ SUV that will be pitched as a more rugged alternative to the likes of the Nissan Juke and Volkswagen T-Cross. And Auto Express can reveal that it’s going to be offered as a fully electric vehicle, too.

Senior Jeep officials have confirmed to us that the as-yet-unnamed model will be in showrooms by 2022. The small SUV is being developed with European markets in mind, because the segment is one of the fastest growing in a region where Jeep still sees significant scope for higher sales.

When quizzed about the vehicle’s brief and styling, Marco Pigozzi, Jeep’s European Head of Brand Marketing, said the crossover would offer plenty of day-to-day practicality, but without compromising Jeep’s renowned off-road capability. “The car will be able to be used as a bad-ass Jeep, but it has also been designed to be used every day,” Pigozzi told us.

Previewed by our exclusive images, the forthcoming baby SUV will be around four metres in length – which will make it slightly longer than a Suzuki Jimny, but a few millimetres shorter than the recently-launched Juke. It will retain Jeep’s chunky styling cues and boxy proportions.

Given Jeep’s recent push towards electrification (starting with the launch of plug-in hybrid versions of the Renegade and Compass), it’s almost certain that the brand’s new small crossover will feature some form of battery power. When asked about the possibility of electric drive, Pigozzi stated: “We have the capability to deliver the electrification we need.”

That’s a strong hint that the car is almost certain to adopt the Common Modular Platform (CMP) architecture used for the Peugeot 2008 and DS 3 Crossback, among others. As well as being able to accommodate petrol and diesel power, the platform can also feature fully electric drive with a range of up to 211 miles on a single charge.

Pigozzi outlined to us the benefits of electric motors when driving off road. “The move from mechanical to ‘e’ all-wheel-drive is a massive improvement – it’s more capable than a conventionally powered Jeep,” he said. “The enormous torque on offer from the electric motor allows [the car] to easily crawl over rocks and obstacles. And the fact that it’s mounted on the rear axle means [the car] is pushed up hills rather than pulled.”

Jeep’s rapid shift to electrification, with its forthcoming range of all-electric and plug-in hybrid models, should help the brand pull its average emissions below the forthcoming EU-regulated range average target of 95g/km, which is being phased in this year and will come into force by 2021.

LINK

Can see one of these new Jeeps sitting on the driveway in the future, love the practical spacious boxy shape just what a proper SUV should look like. I think Jeep will be onto a massive sale winner with this one when it comes out with a 211 mile EV range, it's got winner written all over it much better than a cramped little Bolt golf cart.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 01-10-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

I'm actually quite interested in how they use it in the Wrangler.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 921 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    I'm actually quite interested in how they use it in the Wrangler.
    Yeah, if you can get full TQ right off the line and modulate it, that would have to be good for rock crawling/off roading.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,177 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

It will be interesting to see how this goes over. My brother has a new Wrangler Hybrid and it really gets up and goes in off the line acceleration.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,007 Times in 3,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Then Hummer wants a piece of the action

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements