Jaguar Seeks to Block U.S. Imports of Porsche, Audi SUVs

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Jaguar Seeks to Block U.S. Imports of Porsche, Audi SUVs

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...?ocid=msedgntp

November 19, 2020
    Christopher Yasiejko and Susan Decke

(Bloomberg) -- You wouldn’t know it was about Jags and Lambos, to judge by its rather dry name: In the Matter of Certain Vehicle Control Systems.

But that’s the complaint Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Plc filed on Thursday to block U.S. imports of Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi and Volkswagen sport utility vehicles it says are using its patented Terrain Response technology without permission.

Jaguar Land Rover, a British carmaker owned by India’s Tata Motors Ltd., said in its filing with the U.S. International Trade Commission that the technology helps negotiate a “broad range of surfaces” and is a key feature in Jaguar’s F-Pace and Land Rover Discovery vehicles.

continues at link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Re: Jaguar Seeks to Block U.S. Imports of Porsche, Audi SUVs

This should be interesting to follow. If true, VW is rotten to the core; but the world won't care.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (11-20-2020),Robert1969 (11-20-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,580 Times in 4,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    This should be interesting to follow. If true, VW is rotten to the core; but the world won't care.
    No surprises there

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

I read the patent issue. https://www.patentdocs.org/2019/09/j...d-va-2019.html Seems kind of broad what JLR is patenting. It is the old "computer controls X" is a patent. Doesn't practically every off road vehicle have computer control of subsystems and multiple mode settings for ice/mud/rock etc? Now if VW group stole the code, I could definitely see the lawsuit. But that is not what is alleged.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I read the patent issue. https://www.patentdocs.org/2019/09/j...d-va-2019.html Seems kind of broad what JLR is patenting. It is the old "computer controls X" is a patent. Doesn't practically every off road vehicle have computer control of subsystems and multiple mode settings for ice/mud/rock etc? Now if VW group stole the code, I could definitely see the lawsuit. But that is not what is alleged.
    If so, why would they only target VW? Unless this is the tip of the iceberg and there will be more lawsuits coming.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    No surprises there
    I saw a teleconference with a German tort lawyer based in the state of Lower Saxony in Germany. Since the state owns 20% of VW, the company has a measure of immunity because of the state's conflict of interest. They are miscreants, but he says that D Bank is the worst of all.

Remember during the 90's the GM executive in Europe who wore his watch on his right wrist because he said that it was wartime for GM? Who then absconded with Opel designs to his next employer? That was VW.
    Last edited by Greg Burr; 11-20-2020 at 11:25 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Burr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-20-2020),mbukukanyau (11-20-2020),Rumpole (11-22-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

If so, why would they only target VW? Unless this is the tip of the iceberg and there will be more lawsuits coming.
    Patent trolls tend to target one at a time. It helps build the war chest for the next target. I despise patent trolls. Despise. They count on settling before trial since they make it cheaper to settle than to litigate for the opponent. Remember rarely when a troll loses do they pay opponent legal fees. I've been involved in one case where the "infringer" was not going to settle to make a point. They "won" and spent well over 10m defending themselves from an absurd patent. But the troll did not get any money. The US patent system has been better since inter partes review became the law in 2011, although there have been several challenges to it all denied by the Supreme Court.

In this case it appears JLR is using the ITC as leverage instead and probably hoping to extort money from VW group with the threat of an import suspension while it works its way thru ITC. Again, I despise patent trolls. Despise.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Patent trolls tend to target one at a time. It helps build the war chest for the next target. I despise patent trolls. Despise. They count on settling before trial since they make it cheaper to settle than to litigate for the opponent. Remember rarely when a troll loses do they pay opponent legal fees. I've been involved in one case where the "infringer" was not going to settle to make a point. They "won" and spent well over 10m defending themselves from an absurd patent. But the troll did not get any money. The US patent system has been better since inter partes review became the law in 2011, although there have been several challenges to it all denied by the Supreme Court.

In this case it appears JLR is using the ITC as leverage instead and probably hoping to extort money from VW group with the threat of an import suspension while it works its way thru ITC. Again, I despise patent trolls. Despise.
    I can see that as Jaguar appears to be struggling, maybe even enough to offset the profits from LR (just my guy feeling, I haven't seen their financials) - a little litigation to bring in needed cash. But at the same time, VW, as Greg Burr noted above, is a pretty sleazy company - I find it believable that they've stolen tech. So, two lines of thinking that I find plausible - I'll have to wait and see what the courts say!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 2,167 Posts

I can see that as Jaguar appears to be struggling, maybe even enough to offset the profits from LR (just my guy feeling, I haven't seen their financials) - a little litigation to bring in needed cash. But at the same time, VW, as Greg Burr noted above, is a pretty sleazy company - I find it believable that they've stolen tech. So, two lines of thinking that I find plausible - I'll have to wait and see what the courts say!
    It's interesting that JLR would do this. But hey, if it's their patent, and they're not actually patent trolling, then it's their right to protect it.
    I'm no patent lawyer so...

That being said, JLR has run into a financial issues, so having another cash stream for them would be nice.
    But they're also pretty ahead of the game when it comes to electric power trains and BEV product timelines. So we know where their investment dollars are going.

Terrain Response is a cool technology that is perfect for LR and one they've had for some time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-20-2020)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information