Jaguar Land Rover debuts new inline 6 on Range Rover Sport HST

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Jaguar Land Rover debuts new inline 6 on Range Rover Sport HST

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Motorauthority
    by Sean Szymkowski
    02/13/2019

As we've speculated for years, Jaguar-Land Rover has a new inline-6 engine, and on Tuesday the company announced it will first find a home in the Land Rover Range Rover Sport HST.

The new 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 replaces the dated supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 and is part of the Ingenium family of engines The supercharged V-6 suffers from numerous inefficiencies, including the fact that it is actually a V-8 that simply doesn't use two cylinders. The inline-6 shares components with the company's 2.0-liter inline-4 engine, itself part of the Ingenium engine family.
    Unlike the inline-4, the new inline-6 features a 48-volt electrical system that gathers energy during braking. It also has an electric supercharger that spools up to 65,000 rpm in just 0.5 seconds to virtually eliminate turbo lag. The electric supercharger then hands off to a twin-scroll turbocharger that is supported by continuously variable valve lift. The 48-volt electrical system also helps power the automatic stop/start system. The efficiencies and mild electrification help improve fuel economy over the previous supercharged V-6 engine by about 20 percent.
    In its first application, the inline-6 makes 395 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque in the Range Rover Sport HST special edition, which is 15 more hp than the previous 3.0-liter V-6 engine. Those numbers are converted from the British figures, so the official U.S. numbers could differ. The SUV clocks a 0-60 mph time of 5.9 seconds before topping out at 140 mph.

We're eager to see where the inline-6 engine ends up next, and what its performance boundaries are. We can only imagine what JLR's Special Vehicle Operations may have cooking. Land Rover did note, however, that there will also be a 355-hp version of the engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,818 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Re: Jaguar Land Rover debuts new inline 6 on Range Rover Sport HST

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    Motorauthority
    by Sean Szymkowski
    02/13/2019

It'll be interesting to see how much power they'll get out of this in subsequent versions. I'm sure we'll see a 500HP version at some point. With JLR's current money problems, and how much an all new engine costs to develop, they'll be buying in a V8 from BMW (so the rumor goes) to replace the one that Ford makes for them. I'd love to see them take two of these straight six engines and make a V12 out of them for the top Range Rover, if that is even possible?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,344 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how much power they'll get out of this in subsequent versions. I'm sure we'll see a 500HP version at some point. With JLR's current money problems, and how much an all new engine costs to develop, they'll be buying in a V8 from BMW (so the rumor goes) to replace the one that Ford makes for them. I'd love to see them take two of these straight six engines and make a V12 out of them for the top Range Rover, if that is even possible?
    how about 2 ingenium 4 CYL's for a V8

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,818 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    how about 2 ingenium 4 CYL's for a V8
    I did wonder when Ingenium was being introduced if JLR was planning for a V8 version using as many of the 4 cylinder parts as possible. If a 12 is doable then so is an eight, but the numbers for both likely don't add up and buying from BMW is cheaper, which is a damn shame. I'd sooner see the Cadillac Blackwing in top JLR products.
    Last edited by SKH; 02-14-2019 at 01:07 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information