India: Ford join forces with Mahindra, plans to end independent business

811 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ed753 
#1 ·
Ford plans to end independent India business, join forces with Mahindra
'It's like a partial exit,' one source says
REUTERS
Apr 9th 2019
autoblog.com

NEW DELHI, India — Ford is nearing a deal with Mahindra & Mahindra to form a new joint-venture company in India, a move that will likely see the U.S. automaker cease independent operations in the country, two sources with direct knowledge of the talks told Reuters.

The deal would make Ford the latest automaker to pare back its interests in India. At the end of 2017, General Motors downsized its Indian operations and stopped selling cars locally, dealing a blow to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's strategy to encourage domestic manufacturing.

Over two decades, Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford invested more than $2 billion in India but has consistently struggled — it currently has a market share of just 3 percent in India, one of the world's fastest-growing car markets.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 ·
GM beware! The same will happen in China. The Chinese gov will welcome US investment with false promises of giant future profits, then require profits stay in China or limit sales to local companies only. China will take all of GM's IP on EV production, then turn around and sell low cost EV to the EU when they enact more zero emission requirements.

#5 ·
A buddy of mine worked for Ford, during the downturn he took a role in India, he was trying to get out (and back home) for the longest time, I think he got downsized out and "sent home" about a year ago. Based on what he told me this, or something like this was a long-time coming.

(and the reason he couldn't just quit and leave is he married a girl there, her parents were resisting her moving to the US, especially if he didn't have a job; hard to interview in the US when you live in India)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.