Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

  1. #1
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    930
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 279 Times in 145 Posts

    Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    With pickups being GM's cash cow, you'd think they would be the first to offer a small pickup.

    https://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-hyu...l&uh_test=1_04

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,954
    Thanks
    5,540
    Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,958 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...s-away-295409/

    A thread on this was started a couple of days ago.

    I suspect this will be a small niche at best. Small, car based "trucks" have been tried over the years with minimal success, my thought is nothing much has changed. Honda has their car based truck, albeit bigger, and it doesn't sell well.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (11-18-2019)

  5. #3
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 374 Times in 199 Posts

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I suspect this will be a small niche at best. Small, car based "trucks" have been tried over the years with minimal success, my thought is nothing much has changed. Honda has their car based truck, albeit bigger, and it doesn't sell well.
    You mean the pickup which stores the spare in a location that is only accessible if you unload whatever you have in the bed? Have fun shoveling out that load of garden mulch on the side of the road and reloading it. It was probably loaded for you with a skid loader so you left your shovel at home.
    It is this kind of stupidity on the part of automakers that have resulted in many of their products not being as successful as the marketing department thought.
    The Subaru Baja was too much car and not enough truck(underneath), but at least the bed size was right.
    The Jeep Gladiator on the other hand is too much truck (length and bed length) and not enough Jeep.

    Make something just a bit bigger than the old XJ Cherokee, 4 door with a mini bed with a real 4x4 suspension and drive train. A true lifestyle truck.
    Can carry the family and handle the small hauling chores of a suburban family without making the vehicle so long it is a pain in the butt in traffic as a daily driver.

    Chevy had the right idea back before the 4 door S-10 came out. They build a race support vehicle based off an S-10 extended cab frame but with the body of the S-10 Blazer and added a mini bed. Perfect. Instead they built the too long S-10 4 door pickup.

    I admit I am looking at a Colorado. What I wish was that the short bed was available on the 2 door extended cab. Keep the length down, more maneuverable, easier to fit in my garage.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myron 65 For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (11-18-2019),sledgehammer777 (11-19-2019)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    29,388
    Thanks
    4,639
    Thanked 6,691 Times in 3,249 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Hyundai corp is now probably bigger than GM

  9. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    8,672
    Thanks
    9,772
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,199 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Myron 65 View Post
    You mean the pickup which stores the spare in a location that is only accessible if you unload whatever you have in the bed? Have fun shoveling out that load of garden mulch on the side of the road and reloading it. It was probably loaded for you with a skid loader so you left your shovel at home.
    It is this kind of stupidity on the part of automakers that have resulted in many of their products not being as successful as the marketing department thought.
    The Subaru Baja was too much car and not enough truck(underneath), but at least the bed size was right.
    The Jeep Gladiator on the other hand is too much truck (length and bed length) and not enough Jeep.

    Make something just a bit bigger than the old XJ Cherokee, 4 door with a mini bed with a real 4x4 suspension and drive train. A true lifestyle truck.
    Can carry the family and handle the small hauling chores of a suburban family without making the vehicle so long it is a pain in the butt in traffic as a daily driver.

    Chevy had the right idea back before the 4 door S-10 came out. They build a race support vehicle based off an S-10 extended cab frame but with the body of the S-10 Blazer and added a mini bed. Perfect. Instead they built the too long S-10 4 door pickup.

    I admit I am looking at a Colorado. What I wish was that the short bed was available on the 2 door extended cab. Keep the length down, more maneuverable, easier to fit in my garage.
    Toyota makes a "truck" based truck and can't sell it ether so I doubt it is much to do with utility VS stupid design and MORE about BRAND loyalty AND MASSIVE DISCOUNTS to the points that a Pickup is almost the cheapest option to buy

  10. #6
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    1,485
    Thanked 3,541 Times in 2,306 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    I wonder if GM will object to Hyundai using Cruz In the name,
    Might end up being the Hyundai Santa.....

  11. #7
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 JimmyDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,855
    Thanks
    1,679
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I wonder if GM will object to Hyundai using Cruz In the name,
    Might end up being the Hyundai Santa.....
    If they are not spelled the same there is no standing, legal or moral, to object.

    Ford had the Cyclone, GMC had the Syclone. The last time 2 OEMS had vehicles named the same were "Suburban" because GM was dumb and didn't trademark it. They had to wait until ChryCo stopped selling it to run out and TM it.

  12. #8
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    1,485
    Thanked 3,541 Times in 2,306 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    If they are not spelled the same there is no standing, legal or moral, to object.

    Ford had the Cyclone, GMC had the Syclone. The last time 2 OEMS had vehicles named the same were "Suburban" because GM was dumb and didn't trademark it. They had to wait until ChryCo stopped selling it to run out and TM it.
    Cyclone is an engine series, not a vehicle. but i get what you're saying about Cruze and Cruz.

  13. #9
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 JimmyDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,855
    Thanks
    1,679
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,080 Posts

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Cyclone is an engine series, not a vehicle. but i get what you're saying about Cruze and Cruz.
    My bad, Mercury Cyclone. I knew it was a car, just got the wrong brand..


  14. #10
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    1,485
    Thanked 3,541 Times in 2,306 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    My bad, Mercury Cyclone. I knew it was a car, just got the wrong brand..

    As you say, the difference is the spelling but also neither the Cyclone or GMC Sonoma Syclone was sold at the same time, so no surprise that Ford had no case or no desire to challenge in any regard.

  15. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,482
    Thanks
    680
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,806 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    GMC and Ford have both used Sierra.

  16. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    5,941
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 609 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    I've wanted GM to bring back the El Camino for years! Sadly there is no RWD midsize car to base one on anymore. I can't imagine an El Camino based off the current Malibu...

  17. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    8,672
    Thanks
    9,772
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,199 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    GMC and Ford have both used Sierra.
    everywhere else a Wrangler gotr you a GM PICKUP not a JEEP YJ / TJ

  18. #14
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,034
    Thanks
    8,160
    Thanked 6,605 Times in 4,105 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I've wanted GM to bring back the El Camino for years! Sadly there is no RWD midsize car to base one on anymore. I can't imagine an El Camino based off the current Malibu...
    Charger.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (11-20-2019)

  20. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    8,672
    Thanks
    9,772
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,199 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Hyundai Will Build Its Own Pickup, the Santa Cruz

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Charger.
    also a BETTER chance FCA would do it then current "safe" GM

  21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2