Honda 1.5t Troubles, Warranty Extended

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda 1.5t Troubles, Warranty Extended

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 3,692 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Honda 1.5t Troubles, Warranty Extended

Honda extends CR-V, Civic warranty over 1.5L engine problems
    May 24, 2019, 3:24pm ET
    by Justin King
    Oil in the turbocharged engine may become mixed with fuel.
    Honda has reportedly launched an extended warranty program for certain 2017-2018 CR-Vs and 2016-2018 Civics powered by the company's 1.5-liter turbocharged engine.

Oil in the engines can become contaminated with fuel, causing reduced power or misfiring, according to a memo to dealers obtained by Consumer Reports. The issue is said to be rare and tied to software settings or hardware failures.

Buyers will have an extra year of powertrain coverage, totaling six years from the date of purchase with no mileage cap.

"Abnormal oil dilution remains extremely rare, especially outside of extremely cold weather,” Honda spokesman Chris Martin said in an emailed statement. "In extreme and rare cases in the cold-weather states, where abnormal oil dilution has occurred prior to a vehicle receiving the software updates, this extension will provide extra time for any undetected engine damage to become apparent and be covered by the warranty."

Despite the comments, CR has heard complaints from owners in warmer climates such as California and Texas. A free software fix is available for around 239,000 vehicles. The magazine has called on Honda to treat the issue as a safety recall, however, as some owners are reporting stalling problems.

https://leftlanenews.com/honda/honda...nbsp-problems/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. Winston Churchill

Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid. John Wayne

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

rougeriver (05-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    That sucks.. Continuously confirming my accessment that the Asian makes once perceived reputation of bulletproof reliability was just a myth. 20 years of problems and if there were American we'd want their heads on a pike
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 05-28-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (05-26-2019),rougeriver (05-26-2019)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

Re: Honda 1.5t Troubles, Warranty Extended

Fuel contamination of oil is very bad. One of the reasons my brother started buying Japanese cars was that his Trans Am had a main bearing failure due to gasoline in the oil. Back in those days, the fuel pump was actuated by a drive off of the camshaft that drove the diaphragm. Well, the diaphragm failed, and gasoline started bleeding down to the pan. But that was years ago. Today, he is back into buying American cars. For example, his wife's so-called "bulletproof" Subaru had a head gasket failure at 100,000 miles and the mechanic told them that this is a "common" problem. I contrast that with his Mustang GT which keeps on ticking like the Energizer Bunny. I drove that Mustang. Although over 10 years old, I told them it felt new. The Subaru, OTH, has vibration and steering slop indicative of worn linkages.

I just got off of a non-automotive forum with a thread bashing American cars. One person claimed their car was junk because the freeze plugs would pop - her hubby was using water as coolant. And when the head gasket blew (gee I wonder why), she said that there was a bunch of rust inside. Stupid people will blame the OEM for crap their cheapness brings on themselves. A car comes with an owners manual that has recommended maintenance and fluids.

I don't work on my cars any more, but have trusted mechanics. These days, mainly to repair tire and wheel damage due to our crappy roads. One time, he told me about how a plugged PCV valve can cause a mess. So he takes me into the bay and shows me a Nissan with oil blown all over and even into the spark plug wells.

Or as a friend of mine once said:

If Japanese cars are so great, then why do I see a bunch of them on lifts getting repaired, when I take my car to the shop?

It is my opinion that 80% of car troubles can be traced to use/abuse by the owner and the other 20% to the OEM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rougeriver For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (05-28-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

They still make a great lawn mower and a generator, cars are overpriced for what they are.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

How do you fix an oil leak with software? Article did not say why it is happening or how software will fix it. Is the fix to dial down the power?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,382 Times in 3,106 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

But Honda last for ever..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (05-28-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

I fail to see how a "software change" can affect fuel in the oil. Hardware failure, yes ... software failure, no.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    They still make a great lawn mower and a generator, cars are overpriced for what they are.
    I bought a factory-refurbished Honda power washer. It would only run a few minutes before stalling out. Two hundred dollars later, after checking all over by a reputable repair shop, the vent in the gas cap turned out to be faulty causing the carburetor to starve of fuel. A stupid gas cap! I am unconvinced as to the infallibility of Japanese manufacturers. It's a myth.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, and lots more (garage queen)
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (hooked up to 220v right now)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 3,692 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    How do you fix an oil leak with software? Article did not say why it is happening or how software will fix it. Is the fix to dial down the power?
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I fail to see how a "software change" can affect fuel in the oil. Hardware failure, yes ... software failure, no.

I bought a factory-refurbished Honda power washer. It would only run a few minutes before stalling out. Two hundred dollars later, after checking all over by a reputable repair shop, the vent in the gas cap turned out to be faulty causing the carburetor to starve of fuel. A stupid gas cap! I am unconvinced as to the infallibility of Japanese manufacturers. It's a myth.
    That is easy-peezey! Just consult with Elon and do it over the air! Problem solved!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. Winston Churchill

Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid. John Wayne

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

joey (05-27-2019),mbukukanyau (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,937 Times in 2,270 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Same way GM fixed timing chain stretch.... They shortened the oil change interval.

GM has the same issue on the 2.4 in the Thetas with the HPFP delivering far more fuel than needed and then washing down the oil. My old Terrain had the HPFP replaced around 20k miles due to it. Was a failure by Bosch and a lot of vehicles were involved.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

At least Honda will stand behind the fault and offer extended warranties. Many makers would just stick the consumer with the issue if it failed outside standard warranty.

And fuel in the oil is troubling. A co-worker has this issue with his Ecoboost Ford.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 634 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Ive got a 97 CRV with 300k. Cheap to maintain and insanely durable, physically and mechanically.

I was strongly considering a new 1.5L manual Accord but I'm going to pause on that.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 563 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

There is nothing special about Honda in 2019 - people still living in the 80's and 90's.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

We just replaces our old Kia Soul with a new 2020 Kia Soul last month. A LOT of thought went to possibly getting something bigger and moving 'up' to a Honda CRV. While I feel confident that 95%+ (at least) of CR-V's won't have a major problem because of this...with the continued news coming out regarding this issue I feel a bit better about staying away from the Honda this time.

I do like how they CR-V drove when we took it out (CVT didn't bother me), and while I'm not a fan of the 'look' of the interior...it was very roomy and bright and open. I like the CR-V a lot..maybe we will revisit it if/when they re-do the engine (or give it a different top engine choice.)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-27-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The issue with oil dilution is occurring specifically in very cold weather during the start up of the engines. I read about this several months ago, so my memory is hazy, but IIRC the 'software fix' related to changing the fueling strategy at start up on very cold mornings in cold climates, i.e. I *think* the fix was to program the engine to run leaner under those circumstances.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (05-27-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,082 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    At least Honda will stand behind the fault and offer extended warranties. Many makers would just stick the consumer with the issue if it failed outside standard warranty.

And fuel in the oil is troubling. A co-worker has this issue with his Ecoboost Ford.
    IMHO the "dealer experience" had/has more to do with the "perfect" reputation the Japanese EX Toyota/Honda

long history of the "Domestic"makers sticking the owners and AVOIDING admitting they screwed up VS Toyota/Honda USUALLY "comes clean" quicker and offer SOME help to customers

Honda had a porous block casting issue and replaced a LOT of engines for free / Toyota replaced OR bought back OLD Tundra's and Tacoma's due to rusted frames

25. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

jesda1 (05-27-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast