Grand Cherokee's current generation is returning for 2021

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Grand Cherokee's current generation is returning for 2021

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 1,008 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Grand Cherokee's current generation is returning for 2021

Jeep Grand Cherokee's current generation is returning for 2021 after all
    Jeep is making a handful of changes to the SUV
    RONAN GLON
    Jul 24th 2020
    autonews.com

Jeep is busily putting the final touches on the fifth-generation Grand Cherokee, but the SUV isn't ready yet, so the current-generation model will allegedly return for one final model year. Although it won't receive major changes, a recent report claims the company is planning several minor tweaks to keep its biggest SUV looking fresh.

Introduced at the 2009 edition of the New York Auto Show, the fourth-generation Grand Cherokee is the oldest model in the Jeep line-up by a significant margin. Even Ralph Gilles, the head of design for Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), recently admitted that "it's getting on." Enthusiast website Mopar Insiders learned from anonymous dealers that the SUV will return for 2021 and gain a package named 80th Anniversary Edition that will commemorate the original Jeep's 80th birthday. It will be based on the mid-range Limited trim level.

We don't know what the 80th Anniversary Edition package will consist of, or whether it will also be available on other Jeep models. Mopar Insiders added the Limited and Limited X will also gain an option package named Sun & Sound that will add a dual-pane panoramic sunroof and a 506-watt Alpine stereo with nine speakers.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-25-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,329 Posts

Re: Grand Cherokee's current generation is returning for 2021

Well that sucks...there's been a lot of pushed back until next year from FCA. The Charger/Challenger revamp can wait as they still generate excitement, but the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, Grand Cherokee, and Durango products should be getting way more attention from the mothership than what they're getting. Its frustrating to say the least.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-25-2020),DequindreToo (07-24-2020),ryannel2003 (Today)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Well that sucks...there's been a lot of pushed back until next year from FCA. The Charger/Challenger revamp can wait as they still generate excitement, but the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, Grand Cherokee, and Durango products should be getting way more attention from the mothership than what they're getting. Its frustrating to say the least.
    Well first of all this particular delay is purely because the plant set up for the next-gen GC was delayed due to the pandemic. Development on the vehicle itself is practically finished.

What's interesting is how many times they've changed direction on the next gen GC/Durango/Wagoneer in the last decade. So many platform changes and design changes and the Durango still isn't set in stone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-25-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 2,488 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Next we will hear they're going to do like GM and make both old and new and call the old one "Classic"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Next we will hear they're going to do like GM and make both old and new and call the old one "Classic"
    In a way they already did that. The ZJ Grand Cherokee originally was going to be the next generation XJ Cherokee. But the XJ was selling so well they kept it in production and created the Grand Cherokee. Then the XJ was going to stay in production for a couple of years and be sold alongside the KJ Liberty before that plan was canceled. In that case I think they were afraid the basically 18 year old XJ would show up the KJ by outselling it.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    They are doing that with different branded vehicles... Durango will go on to continue its life cycle while the New 3 row GC will be produced.

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,002 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I've been disappointed they haven't revealed the next Gen, when it was scheduled for Detroit. Obviously things have changed, but that didn't stop Ford from revealing the Bronco. Give us something for Pete's sake!! Bummed its been pushed back.

A three row GC would be the sweet spot for me, perfect size + blend of luxury & off road chops. The current 2-row is soooo good despite its age, I am very excited to see how/what they improve with the next Gen. Looking forward to seeing the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, but probably a little big for me, unless its just insanely good. Loved the old school Wagoneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    Well first of all this particular delay is purely because the plant set up for the next-gen GC was delayed due to the pandemic. Development on the vehicle itself is practically finished.

What's interesting is how many times they've changed direction on the next gen GC/Durango/Wagoneer in the last decade. So many platform changes and design changes and the Durango still isn't set in stone.
    Figured it was a combo of Pandemic/factory setup for the delay. Its amazing to me that THE SUV brand/company hasn't had a 3-row Ute since '93(?) ? Absolute massive hole in their lineup considering how that market + huge margin have grown. They've missed out on a lot of sales + profitability not having one.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I've been disappointed they haven't revealed the next Gen, when it was scheduled for Detroit. Obviously things have changed, but that didn't stop Ford from revealing the Bronco. Give us something for Pete's sake!! Bummed its been pushed back.

A three row GC would be the sweet spot for me, perfect size + blend of luxury & off road chops. The current 2-row is soooo good despite its age, I am very excited to see how/what they improve with the next Gen. Looking forward to seeing the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, but probably a little big for me, unless its just insanely good. Loved the old school Wagoneers.

Figured it was a combo of Pandemic/factory setup for the delay. Its amazing to me that THE SUV brand/company hasn't had a 3-row Ute since '93(?) ? Absolute massive hole in their lineup considering how that market + huge margin have grown. They've missed out on a lot of sales + profitability not having one.
    You’re forgetting the 2005-2010 Commander. It’s easy to forget- compromises were made because they wanted to make it on the same line as the GC. Too narrow, too short of a wheelbase, and too little a development budget made that car a compromised effort.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-25-2020),richmond2000 (Today)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 715 Posts

Youíre forgetting the 2005-2010 Commander. Itís easy to forget- compromises were made because they wanted to make it on the same line as the GC. Too narrow, too short of a wheelbase, and too little a development budget made that car a compromised effort.
    Sounds like what went on with the XT6.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 07-25-2020 at 11:46 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Sounds like what went on with the XT6.
    Kinda...but at least the COmmander was built on bones that had some off road capability...the XTsux OTOH came out 20k more expensive than a mechanically similar crossover that was actually bigger in size. So you gained night vision in the gauge cluster but lost 8" of wheelbase and 1-2 passenger capacity and 10 sq/ft cargo space. Most expensive Cadillac badge ever.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-25-2020)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,002 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Youíre forgetting the 2005-2010 Commander. Itís easy to forget- compromises were made because they wanted to make it on the same line as the GC. Too narrow, too short of a wheelbase, and too little a development budget made that car a compromised effort.
    You're right. That was such a bad effort, I think my brain deleted it from my memory. Still out of almost 30 years, that's still only five - that's a huge gap in the portfolio. Think how much money GM made off their 3 row SUV's during that time frame?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

The current JGC is one of the best driving, refined, efficient, value, etc. packages you can get, and nothing like it in this class of "we crammed a 3rd row in".

We're going on year 2 of a 2018, and oddly good timing, when the lease is up, maybe a late year 2021 could be a great hurrah perfect, before moving to an early Alfa lighter weight platform one. Looking forward to the new one, but the current one is so great, no concern. Literally nothing about it, that's not enjoyable.

Jeep owners are happy, and any that couldn't get a 2020 custom order in, now have more time to do a 2021 "so we can skip the early part of the all new".
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information