GM Inside News Forum banner

General Motors Aims to Transform the Auto Insurance Industry with OnStar Insurance

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Ed753 
#1 ·
LINK

General Motors said:
DETROIT – For more than 20 years, General Motors’ OnStar brand has empowered customers to drive with confidence, offering services that provide added peace of mind on the road. GM announced today it will take its relentless focus on safety and delivering a world-class customer experience one step further with OnStar Insurance. GM’s new insurance agency, OnStar Insurance Services, will be the exclusive agent for OnStar Insurance.

A vehicle is one of the most significant purchases a person will make during their lifetime. OnStar Insurance Services intends to leverage its unique understanding of the vehicles GM produces to offer a secure, fair, personalized and easy-to-use digital insurance experience for drivers.

Starting with Arizona residents, OnStar Insurance Services will initially offer OnStar Insurance to GM employees in Q4 2020, expanding to additional customers, including the general public, in early 2021.

Learn more at https://www.onstarinsurance.com/.

#3 ·
Ah, just another one of those, let’s increase revenue from non traditional sources type set up
+1
GM pioneered this type of business strategy in the automotive industry with the original OnStar service almost 25 years ago.

#6 ·
One benefit of Onstar insurance would be I'm certain GM would require proper GM replacement parts in any accident claims. As a former body shop owner I can share that nearly every auto insurer pushes for inferior aftermarket parts once a vehicle is over a year old.

#11 ·
And the bigger most biggliest problem is that all the insurance companies have great PR firms. Their ads are IMO the best on the tube.

GM continues to employ and endorse Half Fast Ad Company, Limited (in talent). They can OnStar up the wazoo, but 90% of the driving public will be unaware because of their pitiful PR department.

#13 ·
I'm guessing this is pretty simple: GM can track your driving behaviors much more easily than a 3rd party insurance company (who, at best, have to convince you to install new widget in your car to get a subset of that info). If so, this is all about having a lot more data on you to estimate your risk profile more accurately than anyone else can.

#17 ·
I'm guessing this is pretty simple: GM can track your driving behaviors much more easily than a 3rd party insurance company (who, at best, have to convince you to install new widget in your car to get a subset of that info). If so, this is all about having a lot more data on you to estimate your risk profile more accurately than anyone else can.
That's it in a nutshell. And I do mean nutshell. ConStar is a spy agency, just like Google and all the other tech freaks/geeks. Watch enough COPS episodes--if they ever come back on in PC Universe--and you'll see the cops contact Con* to turn off a vehicle's power during a chase. That would be a GM vehicle only. A little good with a whole lotta bad.

The trick with that is to have Your vehicle towed to a GM facility, I was once rammed by a girl with wawanisa insurance, the conversation with her agent was so predictable, like, you need to move your car to one of our approved repairs facilities, my answer was, I knew you were going to try and pull a stunt like this, that is why I took it to a GM facility since they are required to use only genuine OEM parts..

Loong silence, then,, ok...
Ha. What is that insurance company? Is it Havana-based?

You got it Ed753. The original OnStar service is a perfect example of where GM's engineering capabilities exceeded its marketing capabilities. EDS (now DXC) and Hughes (now DirecTV) - both GM subsidiaries at the time - worked with engineers at the GM Technical Center in Warren, Michigan to create it, making GM the first automotive OEM to offer satellite based telematics services in its vehicles.

As Neanderthal mentioned, GM's marketing and PR dweebs remain several steps behind their counterparts in the property and casualty insurance industry.
Yeah. Schwinn bicycles engineering capabilities exceed GM's "marketing" capabilities. And thanks for the mention, gkr, but I think GM's "PR" folks are more than a few steps behind. They would never make it through the first week of Basic Training, they don't know how to march and it appears they probably will never learn. $3 billion/year down the sewer. They're almost like a government agency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.