Ford Stock Value Passes Tesla

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Stock Value Passes Tesla

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,251 Times in 3,943 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Ford Stock Value Passes Tesla

For those who watch such things.

Ford is once again more valuable than Tesla (F, TSLA, GM)
    Jonathan Garber
    Apr. 26, 2019, 03:42 PM

Ford has passed Tesla as the No. 2 US automaker by market capitalization.
    General Motors is the largest US automaker by market value.

It took more than two years, but Ford is once again more valuable than Tesla.
    Ford shares surged more than 10%, up $1.04, on Friday after the company posted first-quarter results that topped Wall Street estimates. The gains ran Ford's market cap to more than $41 billion, putting it ahead of Tesla's $40 billion valuation. Both automakers trail General Motors, which had a market value of $56 billion.
    It's been a long road back to the No. 2 spot for Ford, which had remained the third-largest US automaker by market cap since it was surpassed by Tesla in April 2017.

For much of the past two years Tesla and GM flip-flopped between the top two spots. But in January, GM reclaimed the No. 1 spot and has not relinquished it as Tesla has struggled with demand issues and just posted a big first-quarter loss.
    In terms of 2018 sales, General Motors was No. 1 (2.95 million), followed by Ford (2.5 million) and Fiat Chrysler (2.24 million). By comparison, Tesla sold more than 200,000 vehicles in a year for the first time in 2018.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-4-1028143794
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 04-29-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Ford Stock Value Passes Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    For much of the past two years Tesla and GM flip-flopped between the top two spots. But in January, GM reclaimed the No. 1 spot and has not relinquished it as Tesla has struggled with demand issues and just posted a big first-quarter loss.
    In terms of 2018 sales, General Motors was No. 1 (2.95 million), followed by Ford (2.5 million) and Fiat Chrysler (2.24 million). By comparison, Tesla sold more than 200,000 vehicles in a year for the first time in 2018.[/I]

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-4-1028143794
    True that, but GM and Ford have been making automobiles for 100 years now. For a baby like Tesla to come and play with the big boys in the top 3 is quite a feat, however you take it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (04-30-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    True that, but GM and Ford have been making automobiles for 100 years now. For a baby like Tesla to come and play with the big boys in the top 3 is quite a feat, however you take it.
    200,000 annual sales is not big boy territory

6. The Following User Says Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (04-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    200,000 annual sales is not big boy territory
    RTFA: The gains ran Ford's market cap to more than $41 billion, putting it ahead of Tesla's $40 billion valuation.

Thanks
    My Ride

One is a business. One is a fad.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

None of your so-called "businesses" can say this
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The real question is which one gets to a $100 billion market cap first. My money on Tesla.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,517 Times in 3,168 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Member17739 View Post
    The real question is which one gets to a $100 billion market cap first. My money on Tesla.
    Tesla is on an uphill task, as they ramp up production and rivals catch up on technology, they have to be asking themselves how to go tech heavy outside 'mobility' to keep the stock price up.
    Meanwhile, GM has a play in Lyft, Maven and Cruise automation all potential upsides.. we will see..

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Tesla is on an uphill task, as they ramp up production and rivals catch up on technology, they have to be asking themselves how to go tech heavy outside 'mobility' to keep the stock price up.
    Meanwhile, GM has a play in Lyft, Maven and Cruise automation all potential upsides.. we will see..
    Falcon Heavy.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

GM's investments in Maven, Lyft, and Cruise are only that right now--investments. As investments, the only reason why GM has made them is they believe that there is growth in their value. All of them are on the road towards IPO and because GM has a huge stake in them (that's from their perspective--not GM's), GM looks to make good coin out of them...without risk.

At the same time, should the markets actually move in that direction (the jury is still out and many on this blog would love to see these trends actually go away), then GM has access to technology allowing them to stay relevant.

But, in the end, it is a shallow investment for GM where they only see upside from their part--they really don't care where the market goes. They are just hedging their bets to see which one actually sticks to the wall.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,517 Times in 3,168 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by GMOwner View Post
    GM's investments in Maven, Lyft, and Cruise are only that right now--investments. As investments, the only reason why GM has made them is they believe that there is growth in their value. All of them are on the road towards IPO and because GM has a huge stake in them (that's from their perspective--not GM's), GM looks to make good coin out of them...without risk.

At the same time, should the markets actually move in that direction (the jury is still out and many on this blog would love to see these trends actually go away), then GM has access to technology allowing them to stay relevant.

But, in the end, it is a shallow investment for GM where they only see upside from their part--they really don't care where the market goes. They are just hedging their bets to see which one actually sticks to the wall.
    Cruise Automation is really the only one that I think has any prayer for real upside. Buick should take lead in the Technology.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

I thought the same thing until my buddy bought a 2016 Tesla Model S P85D and he let me drive it. Faster than anything I’ve ever driven or been a passenger in. And watching it drive itself was unbelievable. Then for the real kicker, if you charge it at a Tesla charging station it’s FREE!

If I could afford a Model X P100D, I’d never look back.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RamJet502 For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (05-02-2019)

Thanks

Cruise Automation is really the only one that I think has any prayer for real upside. Buick should take lead in the Technology.
    Why not Cadillac? Makes more sense to me.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

One thing I can’t figure out is the people hooked on the speed of the Tesla. Yes, they can indeed make petroleum powered cars that are just as fast or faster. Cadillac and Lincoln could readily build you all the 10 second, all wheel drive sedans your heart desires if they believed people would buy them. In fact BMW already gets pretty close to p100D acceleration with the current gen M5 and for quite a bit less. The problem is, people seem a lot more impressed when a Tesla does it. Actually, a lot of people seem more impressed with everything when a Tesla does it. I don’t get it.

I guess I just want excellence and, seemingly, live in a world where the masses just want something new.

Edited to add: The furor surrounding automated driving blows my mind as well, particularly when I see it on enthusiast forums. It’s just weird. We supposedly love cars for the sake of driving and yet I regularly see people who claim to be enthusiasts openly supporting the biggest threat to driving for pleasure since the car was invented.

I think the truth is that 90% of people don’t even pretend to be enthusiasts, and of the 10% who do, about a tenth of them are actually enthusiasts. Most everyone else is buying a bigger, fancier, or faster car for the same reason they do most other things, and that reasons isn’t enthusiasm.
    Last edited by SVT74; 05-01-2019 at 06:17 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-07-2019),Neanderthal (05-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    One thing I can’t figure out is the people hooked on the speed of the Tesla. Yes, they can indeed make petroleum powered cars that are just as fast or faster. Cadillac and Lincoln could readily build you all the 10 second, all wheel drive sedans your heart desires if they believed people would buy them. In fact BMW already gets pretty close to p100D acceleration with the current gen M5 and for quite a bit less. The problem is, people seem a lot more impressed when a Tesla does it. Actually, a lot of people seem more impressed with everything when a Tesla does it. I don’t get it..
    1. We are talking Competition BMW model vs top Tesla. 3.3s vs 2.6s - I don't think you realize how much of a difference that is. And to beat that, you have to go in super car territory; that is well beyond a daily driver price and maintenance. Not to mention reliability.
    2. No other vehicle gives you all the torque starting at 0 RPM.
    3. BMW is about $35.000 cheaper in Canada. I'd still get the Tesla. No more oil changes, no more gas, yaaay !

But wait...there is more...if they ever release the Roadster and if they are true to it, 1.9s. Even if they are off a bit, even a 2.2s is an absolute top tier for any production car.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information