Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Challenger Charger 300.
    Losing sales every year, 300 is down to 29k/yr. Can only sell the same car for so long before people stop paying new car money for a 10yo car.
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 01-11-2020 at 09:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think the Challenger is a fleet queen, and I am always seeing low lease offers on them too. And quality wise, I don't think you want to be still owning one long after the warranty is over.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,413 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadNaughty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Ford had new versions of Focus and Mondeo/ Fusion planned but cancelled them for North America, the CD6 RWD larger cars cancelled years ago, SAN Louis Ptosi plant started and then cancelled

Ford did have choices but chose to kill cars to maximise utility sales.
    Seems they care far more about utility profits, then sales. Who can blame them.
    And again, updating even the Focus and Fusion/Mondeo, requires massive capital. I believe Europe Mondeo still rides on modified old Mazda platform. Seems to me that if a Focus generates almost no profit, why not clear the way for higher profit, like that Puma. That is quite attractive for a small vehicle. And you said it yourself, they can always bring back sedans, but my guess, it would be BEV. That makes far more sense.
    Euro Mondeo was never Mazda based, EUCD was reworked to CD4 but new Focus is C2, next gen Chinese Mondeo is in the works. All the money on development has already been spent.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Euro Mondeo was never Mazda based, EUCD was reworked to CD4 but new Focus is C2, next gen Chinese Mondeo is in the works. All the money on development has already been spent.
    Did not know that. Thanks for correcting.

So, it appears then that Ford can offer cars in the US, but is still more interested in profit. Again, I find it hard to fault that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DreadNaughty For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (01-11-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,413 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Did not know that. Thanks for correcting.

So, it appears then that Ford can offer cars in the US, but is still more interested in profit. Again, I find it hard to fault that.
    Yeah but equally, those "white spaced" vehicles are crossovers with a lot of car like attributes.. so it's not like Ford is giving up on cars entirely and the only reason we don't have an imported Focus now is simply due to China-USA issues.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supermoto View Post
    Tundra sales in the toilet. Anyone who buys an F150 or Ram 1500 will never touch a Tundra with a 10' pole.
    Old tranny, abysmal mpg, but reliability of a tank. If they bring an 8 speed with an update engine and modern tech at the same price level with Ram and F150, the scene will look totally different.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 523 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    It isn't just about the bottom line. While sedan sales are down, there are still a lot of them sold.

I find the complete elimination of them to be very short sighted. GM and Ford are / were making the best sedans they had ever made. In the case of the Fusion, it sold very well. To completely eliminate it alienates a bunch of customers.

It just feels like, in the quest to pander to the few electric car buyers out there, GM and Ford are willing to throw a bunch of customers away. Electric cars will not be mainstream for a LONG time. Yes, Tesla's sell, as do Prius's, but they are a rounding error. I just find both GM and Ford to be incredibly short sighted.
    I agree, I think it's a shortsighted move - I could see dropping Fiesta and Taurus, but Focus and Fusion should've stayed.

Ford was trapped really. They had very old sedan platforms that were in desperate need of modernization. There choices seemed to be either invest massive capital in all new and modern platforms on a low margin segment that is dropping rapidly, or, move that capital into the uber competitive and high margin CUV/SUV segments while also investing signficantly in their future which appears to be lots of BEV. Ford can always introduce a BEV sedan if they see the market demand.
    They just came out with a brand new Focus overseas, and Fusion was on CD4.

Seems they care far more about utility profits, then sales. Who can blame them.
    And again, updating even the Focus and Fusion/Mondeo, requires massive capital. I believe Europe Mondeo still rides on modified old Mazda platform. Seems to me that if a Focus generates almost no profit, why not clear the way for higher profit, like that Puma. That is quite attractive for a small vehicle. And you said it yourself, they can always bring back sedans, but my guess, it would be BEV. That makes far more sense.
    The Mondeo is the same as our Fusion.

Yeah but equally, those "white spaced" vehicles are crossovers with a lot of car like attributes.. so it's not like Ford is giving up on cars entirely and the only reason we don't have an imported Focus now is simply due to China-USA issues.
    Yeah, I think they'll make "cars" they just won't be called cars.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Ford and GM's car buyers are not running to other manufacturers for cars...
    No, those people are turning around and buying $70k GM and Ford trucks!.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Total sales for those brands may be up but their car sales are all down
    and here's the figures.......
    by my count, the popular non-detroit brands have lost collectively over 200,000 car sales. There is a rebalance in sales towards utilities and trucks going on across the entire market, the Detroit manufacturers just happen to be at the leading edge of it.

Kia car sales, down over 6%.........331,107 (352,844) -6.2%

Hyundai car sales, down 11%......320,611 (361,198) -11.2%

Nissan car sales, down 8.7%........510,553 (559,059) -8.7%

Subaru car sales, down over 15%.......125,650 (149,073) -15.7%

Lexus car sales, down over 12%........80,975 (92,660) -12.6%

Toyota car sales, down 4%.........769,022 (801,407) -4.0%

Honda car sales, down 3%..........663,973 684,853 -3.0%
    if you want to spin it the other way those sales were GM/Ford/Chrysler car deliveries back in 70s-90s, also the worst Toyota/Honda months in Camry/Corolla and Civic/Accord sales reports would be High 5s victory dances for Big 3 if they ever reached those numbers in last 20 years or so...and they still eat their lunch for compact SUV sales.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information