Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,931 Times in 961 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

The Fiesta outsold the Honda Fit nearly 2-1 despite going out of production
    SVEN GUSTAFSON
    Jan 6th 2020
    autoblog.com

Ford closed out 2019 with a 3% drop in full-year U.S. sales as the continued phase-out of models including the Focus and Taurus helped offset strong performance from its F-Series trucks, Transit vans and Lincoln luxury SUVs. But combing through its year-end sales data revealed two peculiar trends: the surprisingly persistent sales of two of its endangered small cars and the decline in sales of the Escape crossover, one of the vehicles meant to plug the gap they leave behind and despite a redesign for 2020.

Lets look at Fords endangered cars first, remembering that Ford in 2018 announced plans to end production of all its cars and sedans for the U.S. to focus (sorry) on hot-selling trucks and SUVs. And the results are largely as youd expect, with steep declines for the Focus, which is now phased out in the U.S., and the once-mighty Taurus, which ended production in March.

But lo, here comes the pint-sized Fiesta, which ended the year up a hefty 16.3% to 60,148 units, despite a sizable fourth-quarter decline likely due to dwindling inventory. That dwarfs sales of the Honda Fit subcompact hatchback, which managed sales of 35,414 last year. Clearing them off lots with substantial discounts might have had something to do with it, but perhaps consumers were eager to snatch up the hatchback while they still can, since production ended earlier this year.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

Juche (01-11-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,931 Times in 961 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Ford still sold 226,193 endangered Fusions and Fiestas in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by autoblog.com
    The Fusion sedan also saw a big drop in sales during the fourth quarter, yet Ford still managed to sell a very respectable 166,045 of them last year, down just 4.4% year over year. That compares favorably to competitors: the Chevrolet Malibu sold 131,917 in 2019, the Kia Optima 96,623 and the Hyundai Sonata (87,466).
    Quote Originally Posted by autoblog.com
    It's worth noting that Ford made its decision to ditch cars when it was still selling more than 400,000 of them annually because it saw declining sales and, perhaps more importantly, profits from the segment. So it's not likely that anyone is second-guessing themselves in Dearborn.
    I understand profitability and volume. And by any measure, such factors must be taken into consideration when deciding a vehicle program.

And yet, I can't help but wonder if Ford (or GM or FCA, for that matter) will regret their decision to abandon entire segments of the market when they're still putting up numbers like this and spotting their competitors additional volume. Even if the actuarial numbers are right (and fatter-profits reaped from SUV/crossovers will help buoy margins over lower-profits from sedan/economy cars) you may be losing a customer forever.
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

dannyg (01-09-2020),Juche (01-11-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    I understand profitability and volume. And by any measure, such factors must be taken into consideration when deciding a vehicle program.

And yet, I can't help but wonder if Ford (or GM or FCA, for that matter) will regret their decision to abandon entire segments of the market when they're still putting up numbers like this and spotting their competitors additional volume. Even if the actuarial numbers are right (and fatter-profits reaped from SUV/crossovers will help buoy margins over lower-profits from sedan/economy cars) you may be losing a customer forever.
    To me that's as big as any piece of the equation and something that the pointy-heads on the top floor have little grasp of. Well, after all, it's just the Little People buying Little Cars so who cares if we eventually dump 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 or more formerly-loyal customers? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Blinders and no historical points of reference. How long ago was it that gas prices spiked, and sales of big critters tanked? Seems like decades... zerozerozero
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (01-10-2020),Mr.Buttons (01-13-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,687 Times in 2,392 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

The difference is that the trim mix has changed with very few Titaniums sold these days. One could easily argue that Ford engineered this demise form the underwhelming 2015 update but the truth is that Ford chooses to run its company as capacity limited.

Fusion production ends June.

Focus/C-max gives way for Ranger/Bronco
    Taurus gives way for Aviator
    Fiesta gives way for Mustang Mach E
    Fusion gives way for Baby Bronco/Transit Connect/TC based Pick Up.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,442 Times in 2,230 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Agreed. I think it is a mistake but many refuse to want to accept it as being one. They have effectively handed the sales over to their competition.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It's a broken record, but again sales don't equal profits. Ford has new vehicles for new customers, perhaps not the same customers, but Ford doesn't necessarily want every existing car customer and they are doing their best to retain the ones that matter. Otherwise Ford has pulled off quite an achievement in 2019 by somehow maintaining sales despite shedding a ton of car customers and up-ending their volume Utility portfolio (Escape/Explorer). Once you have Explorer and Escape at 100% alongside 3 new nameplates by the end of 2021 (Bronco Sport, Bronco Prime, Mach E) followed in 2021 with a compact pickup and new entry-level utility, the car volume is going to be a distant memory. And don't forget the all-new F-150. It's going to be quite a transformation and we'll end up with more vehicles than we lost.
    Last edited by BORG; 01-09-2020 at 08:49 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 783 Posts

Ford and GM-Moron Twins.
    2 companies run by idiots who couldn't manage to find their way out of a paper bag.
    Truly an embarrassment to the USA that 2 once proud companies are gutless shells of their former selves

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Ford and GM's car buyers are not running to other manufacturers for cars...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Ford and GM's car buyers are not running to other manufacturers for cars...
    Spoken like a true GM exec.

Kia up. Hyundai up. Toyota up. I think once a customer buys a Honda or a Toyota , they will never touch GM again with a 10' pole.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

steve333 (01-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post

Kia up. Hyundai up. Toyota up. I think once a customer buys a Honda or a Toyota , they will never touch GM again with a 10' pole.
    Or a KIA. My '07 Specta was flawless and excellent, no need for a Civic. That led to three more robust, flawless KIAs and two Sorentos for d-i-l.
    She, I believe, has her eyes set on a Yukon now, because true love knows no logic. Hope that works out well.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Later this year.

The theory (hypothesis?) here for GM and Ford is to slough off sales of low/no profit vehicles to their competitors. Thereby they will weaken their competition because they will only be building high profit/high volume vehicles themselves. A brilliant ploy.

The only problem I can see with this strategy is the considerable amount of potential customers who have no interest in 100,000 dollar pickups and SUVs. Like millennials. A lot of whom see personal transportation as a means of getting from point A to point B, not as a lifestyle. If said millennials do ever change their minds and decide to upgrade, odds are it will be from a Toyota, Hyundai, or Kia to a more expensive Toyota, Hyundai, or Kia. Familiarity builds comfort, not contempt.

Then again, millennials will only be around for a generation or so. So maybe the plan is to outlast them. Sure wish I was smart enough to have come up with such an impressive long range business strategy. I would have sold it to GM and Ford and became a millionaire.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Juche (01-11-2020),Neanderthal (01-10-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I can see it now - in 10 years, Ford and GM will be trying to figure out how to get “new” customers to buy their vehicles (and hoping for lifetime customers). But the will be only offering trucks / SUV’s / CUV’s - and wondering why other manufacturers are selling so many “cars”, and trucks / SUV’s / CUV’s to their lifelong customers.

People looking to buy a new vehicle for their teenage child or grandchild will be looking at Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Hyundai.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (01-10-2020),Juche (01-11-2020),Neanderthal (01-10-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Ford and GM were also really bad at making compact cars for American customers, and consequently they earned less from every customer they had to incentivize. I think that's forgotten, these are segments that never played to their core strengths and I'm honestly glad they finally put them out of their misery. They were well past the point it made sense to continue investing in them when that unprofitable segment was shrinking and already spoken for. These are segments they lost permanently, and both Ford and GM are thriving by getting away from them. It's a great thing, while the other automakers are staying put on the old stuff, Ford and GM are innovating and moving forward.
    Last edited by BORG; 01-10-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Total sales for those brands may be up but their car sales are all down
    and here's the figures.......
    by my count, the popular non-detroit brands have lost collectively over 200,000 car sales. There is a rebalance in sales towards utilities and trucks going on across the entire market, the Detroit manufacturers just happen to be at the leading edge of it.

Kia car sales, down over 6%.........331,107 (352,844) -6.2%

Hyundai car sales, down 11%......320,611 (361,198) -11.2%

Nissan car sales, down 8.7%........510,553 (559,059) -8.7%

Subaru car sales, down over 15%.......125,650 (149,073) -15.7%

Lexus car sales, down over 12%........80,975 (92,660) -12.6%

Toyota car sales, down 4%.........769,022 (801,407) -4.0%

Honda car sales, down 3%..........663,973 684,853 -3.0%
    Last edited by jpd80; 01-10-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Ford and GM were also really bad at making compact cars for American customers, and consequently they earned less from every customer they had to incentivize. I think that's forgotten, these are segments that never played to their core strengths and I'm honestly glad they finally put them out of their misery. They were well past the point it made sense to continue investing in them when that unprofitable segment was shrinking and already spoken for. These are segments they lost permanently, and both Ford and GM are thriving by getting away from them. It's a great thing, while the other automakers are staying put on the old stuff, Ford and GM are innovating and moving forward.
    Don't forget the $700 UAW penalty per car.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (01-10-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information