Ford shakes up leadership after missing 2019 earnings targets

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford shakes up leadership after missing 2019 earnings targets

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 715 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Ford shakes up leadership after missing 2019 earnings targets

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/4689277002/

Ford Motor Co. on Friday named strategy chief Jim Farley as its chief operating officer in a leadership shakeup after the Dearborn automaker missed 2019 earnings expectations.

Ford CEO Jim Hackett had hailed 2019 to be a "year of execution" as Ford since 2017 has undergone an $11 billion global restructuring, which included cutting costs and layoffs. But operational challenges with the launch of the Explorer SUV last summer sent profits declining 99% year-over-year in 2019, the automaker reported Tuesday. Ford shares took a beating, falling to their lowest price in more than a year.

Farley will take over automotive operations from Joe Hinrichs, president of automotive, who will retire after 19 years at the Blue Oval effective March 1.

"The launch of the Explorer is a company issue that involved a lot of aspects, including Joe's role and others," Hackett said on a conference call. "We share that with others. This, in fact, is not tied to that at all. I want to make that really clear that we're all accountable for that performance."

In addition to overseeing Ford's global markets, Farley, 57, will continue to lead Ford's mobility and autonomous-vehicle ventures as he has since April. The transition, which Hackett said has been in the works for more than a year, is meant to bridge the old auto industry with the new mobility sector involving autonomous, connected and electric vehicles. Farley is charged with nearly doubling global margins to 8%.

"It is my judgment the time is to move with urgency now to fully integrate and accelerate Ford's transformation into this higher-growth and higher-margin business, and leverage the smart connected-vehicles," Hackett said.

By the end of the year, the company expects 75% of its lineup to be new since 2017. The automaker will roll out this year a small off-road vehicle; the all-electric Mustang Mach-E SUV; and the redesigned F-150 pickup, including plug-in hybrid versions. Ford also will introduce region-specific vehicles in places like China.

"We have all the foundation elements of this transformation Jim talked about," Farley said. "Now it's go-time, execution. I'm really excited to lead the team to bring this mission toward visions to life."

The Explorer is Ford's best-selling SUV, but sales declined more than 26% last year as production problems led to months of delays and vehicles coming off the line with buggy software, loose wiring and faulty seats, forcing them to be shipped from Chicago to Flat Rock to be repaired.

"There are only three programs you don’t screw up at Ford: F-150, Mustang and Explorer," Marcus Hudson, executive director of Calderone Advisory Group in Birmingham, said in a statement. "The Explorer launch was Hinrich’s audition for the top post; his leaving speaks directly to the internal view of how well manufacturing is doing at Ford. The Explorer launch obviously didn’t go well; couple that with ongoing warranty issues which imply a drop in quality, which has a direct correlation with customer loyalty, then someone’s head had to roll.”

Hackett, meanwhile, has no plans on leaving: "I plan on staying in this job and working with Jim tightly to now realize the value that we’ve been promising."

Shares continued to fall by more than 1% Friday morning more than equity indexes. Its stock was about $8.15 per share, down from $9.21 prior to Ford reporting earnings Tuesday after the market closed.

Tuesday's results had led Adam Jonas, managing director of research at Morgan Stanley, to blast the Dearborn automaker a day later during an investor presentation held by General Motors Co. that highlighted its future plans.

“I noticed that you were videotaping today’s investor day, it’d be great if someone could send that tape to Ford in Dearborn," he said. "I’m serious. I’ll hand-deliver it myself to them if you don’t send it to them. Your team is really airtight. You should be very proud of this presentation you gave. It’s a kick-(explicit) management team up here in front of us. You are executing."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,533 Times in 2,294 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Ford shakes up leadership after missing 2019 earnings targets

Tuesday's results had led Adam Jonas, managing director of research at Morgan Stanley, to blast the Dearborn automaker a day later during an investor presentation held by General Motors Co. that highlighted its future plans.

“I noticed that you were videotaping today’s investor day, it’d be great if someone could send that tape to Ford in Dearborn," he said. "I’m serious. I’ll hand-deliver it myself to them if you don’t send it to them. Your team is really airtight. You should be very proud of this presentation you gave. It’s a kick-(explicit) management team up here in front of us. You are executing."
    WOE and WOW! Some shake up at Ford, but as more of a GM fan I liked this part the best There is hope on both fronts.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-09-2020),IROCNROL1 (02-09-2020),jzchev28 (02-07-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Even though I’m a Chevy fan with deep disdain for Ford and Ford fans I don’t want to see such an iconic American company go down. They better get their act together.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RamJet502 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-09-2020),bongos2u (02-10-2020),impala02 (02-08-2020),jzchev28 (02-07-2020),mbukukanyau (02-08-2020),nadepalma (02-08-2020),richmond2000 (02-08-2020),Stéphane Dumas (02-09-2020),Syclone478 (02-08-2020),wallus13 (02-09-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,254 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Yikes!
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 715 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

After the Explorer an Escape Redo, Ford had better get the Bronco and 2021 F150 RIGHT!

There is Nothing left after those units.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    After the Explorer an Escape Redo, Ford had better get the Bronco and 2021 F150 RIGHT!

that and the MACH E is all they have "to excite" consumers into the showrooms

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

So they can redeem themselves this year with new F150, Bronco and Maverick. I never thought much of Joe, but Jim Farley worries me. Perhaps he will better serve when not challenged. Cut him loose, in a sense. We shall see. No doubt, they are all under a microscope. I still think they have a solid plan that is diversified with electrification (hybrid, PHEV, BEV), rather than "all in" and too soon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DreadNaughty For This Useful Post:

InCogKneeToe (02-08-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,495 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

We were told that Ford losing profitability was a good thing by some here.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (02-09-2020),RamJet502 (02-10-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,718 Times in 2,414 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    We were told that Ford losing profitability was a good thing by some here.
    Citation please....

Ford had a shocker of a year but not so bad in North America with $6.6 billion EBIT,
    that's why workers getting $6,600 bonus checks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

DreadNaughty (02-09-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post

that and the MACH E is all they have "to excite" consumers into the showrooms
    Bronco, Baby Bronco, Mustang Mach E, hybrid F150, Hybrid Mustang and of course
    Super Duty with all conquering 7.3 gas engine roll out is in full swing.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Citation please....

Ford had a shocker of a year but not so bad in North America with $6.6 billion EBIT,
    that's why workers getting $6,600 bonus checks
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...r-woes-296283/

read all the positive spin there

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post

WOE and WOW! Some shake up at Ford, but as more of a GM fan I liked this part the best [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] There is hope on both fronts.
    Adam Jonas can talk, his company was right up there with other wall street bankers/ratings companies in the middle of the biggest financing debacle bar none. Watch the big short.

Ford is not the darlings of the stock market because it pumps profits into future change and Wall Street cannot see that until after it happens nor can it influence Ford via stock holders due to the Ford family holding so many original undiluted B stock.

One thing we do know is that if Ford gets in trouble, it will take it's licks
    and pay off its own debts.
    Last edited by jpd80; 02-08-2020 at 02:35 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,336 Times in 4,476 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Year of execution. Careful with your words, Jimbo.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-09-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Syclone478's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Adam Jonas can talk, his company was right up there with other wall street bankers/ratings companies in the middle of the biggest financing debacle bar none. Watch the big short.

Ford is not the darlings of the stock market because it pumps profits into future change and Wall Street cannot see that until after it happens nor can it influence Ford via stock holders due to the Ford family holding so many original undiluted B stock.

One thing we do know is that if Ford gets in trouble, it will take it's licks
    and pay off its own debts.
    I'm no stock market mogul but that seems backwards. Pumping profits into future change seems to be exactly what investors are looking for; obviously Wall Street has no problem with Tesla doing that. The market's willingness or resistance to invest appears tied to whether Ford has been investing wisely in their future.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (02-10-2020),TruckMan (02-08-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    I'm no stock market mogul but that seems backwards. Pumping profits into future change seems to be exactly what investors are looking for; obviously Wall Street has no problem with Tesla doing that. The market's willingness or resistance to invest appears tied to whether Ford has been investing wisely in their future.
    You disappoint me Obi one, the Blue Oval has not convinced you yet

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast