Ford Maverick rumor predicts 'a Transit Connect pickup'

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford Maverick rumor predicts 'a Transit Connect pickup'

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Supplier employee claims a four-door cab and 'fairly small bed'
    JONATHON RAMSEY
    Aug 3rd 2020
    autoblog.com

Over the weekend, spy shots of a coming Ford vehicle ignited debate around the Autoblog offices as to whether we were looking at a next-generation Ford Flex or the coming Maverick compact pickup. A surfeit of circumstantial evidence and an amicus curiae contribution from Dan Edmunds made a strong case for the latter. In response to our assertions of a crew cab and a small backside, a commenter on the post noted, "that's [an] awfully short bed, totally defeating the purpose of producing a small pickup with almost zero usability." We can't render verdict on usability yet, but according to a post on the Maverick Chat forum, a big cab and a short bed could be exactly what we're getting. Someone who allegedly works at a supplier posted a few Maverick tidbits, opening with the claims that the pickup will come with "4 doors only at first" and a "fairly small bed."

Work-focused buyers looking for a compact truck have repeatedly informed the Internet that they want a sturdy single-cab pickup with a decent-sized bed, akin to the old Ford Ranger. That won't be the Maverick, if these rumors are true. The forum poster admitted he hadn't seen the final truck, but described the coming pickup to other members as "mechanically a Transit Connect pickup but finished with an exterior and interior intended for active lifestyle retail customers, not a commercial truck at all. If you are someone who does not go off road, does not need a huge truck, but you want to carry things sometimes and stick to a budget, this will be a great truck."

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Ford Maverick rumor predicts 'a Transit Connect pickup'

The marketplace is so hungry for a small, entry level, affordable pickup that they could resurrect the Ford Pinto station wagon chassis and sell every unit they could produce. Imagine a starting price of $17,999 with a manual transmission and front wheel drive. Every independent cable installer in the country would want one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020),buildacariwant (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 496 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It's not based on the Transit Connect (which is on an older platform btw), nor does it use the NA 2.0L I4. It does get the 2.5L Hybrid FWD and the 2.0L EcoBoost with optional AWD. I'm still trying to lock down which engine is standard, but I know the Hybrid is available on all trims and the 2.0L EB is listed as standard. XL, XLT, Lariat are the trim levels, same colors as the Bronco Sport.
    Last edited by BORG; 08-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020),passis (08-11-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    The marketplace is so hungry for a small, entry level, affordable pickup that they could resurrect the Ford Pinto station wagon chassis and sell every unit they could produce. Imagine a starting price of $17,999 with a manual transmission and front wheel drive. Every independent cable installer in the country would want one.
    I think you're right.

Honestly, if there was a business case Ford to have kept the old Ranger going, I'm sure they'd love to have it on hand right now. Fuel-economy, crash regulations, market-segment volume, and contributing factors at that time aside, the small-footprint Ranger would be an almost perfect foray into such a segment.

That aside (and closer to this forthcoming product), something like GM do Brasil's Chevy Montana or Fiat's Strada pick-up would fit the mold really well (but would be very unlikely to pass crash standards or emissions here). One has to wonder if GM is even looking at this right now. I could almost imagine such a product working well at GMC or Chevrolet.

And yes, offering it with a stick would be a huge boon to us three-pedal-people
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2020),richmond2000 (08-10-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,642 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    It's not based on the Transit Connect (which is on an older platform btw), nor does it use the NA 2.0L I4. It does get the 2.5L Hybrid FWD and the 2.0L EcoBoost with optional AWD. I'm still trying to lock down which engine is standard, but I know the Hybrid is available on all trims and the 2.0L EB is listed as standard. XL, XLT, Lariat are the trim levels, same colors as the Bronco Sport.
    Originally, the plan was to produce the TC along side of two low cost close cousins, a utility band a pick-up
    but the alliance with VW changed all of that and the pickup can now stand on its own merits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

passis (08-11-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

It's too bad this can't spawn a regular cab, regular bed model even with a sort of stripper, manual tranny version as a base model. That is if indeed it is a four door short box little critter. I sure wish they would deem it far enough along in development and considering what is already well known about it to shed some camo so we could get a better idea on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 496 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

There are two news stories that drive me a little nuts to the point I feel compelled to debunk them. The Fusion Active (which is actually the Mondeo replacement and is not coming to the US) and the Transit Connect based Maverick.

FWIW, the same C2 FWD architecture underpins the new/next Focus, Escape, Corsair, Bronco Sport, Maverick, Mondeo Crossover, Edge, Nautilus.

Ford was developing a C2 based next-gen Transit Connect and A/V and until I hear otherwise, I can't help but assume it's still coming. But now that VW is taking that over, I really don't know now where that stands or why Ford handed that over now. I do know that the new TC is no longer part of North American production plans. I wonder if it has anything to do with VW's huge investment into Argo, the TC was a big part of getting that product to the market.
    Last edited by BORG; 08-10-2020 at 05:48 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

passis (08-11-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC buildacariwant's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    TOWN CAR WRX EXPLORER V8

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

my mom had a blue pinto wagon for a while when I was a kid. she drove it like a 2 seater pickup with a cab top with her rear seats always folded down. it really would make a good base for a small pick up.
    gone but not forgetten: 77 grand prix, 70 buick estate wagon, 90 eldorado, 07 si sedan

no manual = not on the shopping list...Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,642 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    There are two news stories that drive me a little nuts to the point I feel compelled to debunk them. The Fusion Active (which is actually the Mondeo replacement and is not coming to the US) and the Transit Connect based Maverick.

FWIW, the same C2 FWD architecture underpins the new/next Focus, Escape, Corsair, Bronco Sport, Maverick, Mondeo Crossover, Edge, Nautilus.

Ford was developing a C2 based next-gen Transit Connect and A/V and until I hear otherwise, I can't help but assume it's still coming. But now that VW is taking that over, I really don't know now where that stands or why Ford handed that over now. I do know that the new TC is no longer part of North American production plans. I wonder if it has anything to do with VW's huge investment into Argo, the TC was a big part of getting that product to the market.
    That evolved TC you're talking bit the dust and is being replaced by a version of the Caddy
    which will use AV from Argo. The eng modules from that TC (not the current one) were
    used to develop Maverick Utility and Pickup but late in the piece, Ford realised that the
    pickup could cover both segments.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

passis (08-11-2020)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information