Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

Thanks
    Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,814 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ct/1701433001/
    July 11, 2019
    Phoebe Wall Howard

Ford Motor Co. knowingly launched two low-priced, fuel-efficient cars with defective transmissions and continued selling the troubled Focus and Fiesta despite thousands of complaints and an avalanche of repairs, a Free Press investigation found.

The cars, many of which randomly lose power on freeways and have unexpectedly bolted into intersections, were put on sale in 2010-11 as the nation emerged from the Great Recession. At least 1.5 million remain on the road and continue to torment their owners — and Ford.

The automaker pushed past company lawyers’ early safety questions and a veteran development engineer’s warning that the cars weren’t roadworthy, internal emails and documents show. Ford then declined, after the depth of the problem was obvious, to make an expensive change in the transmission technology.

Instead, the company kept trying to find a fix for the faulty transmission for five years while complaints and costs piled up. In the interim, Ford officials prepared talking points for dealers to tell customers that the cars operated normally when, in fact, internal documents are peppered with safety concerns and descriptions of the defects.

The automaker faces thousands of angry customers, including former loyalists who say they will never buy another Ford; hundreds of millions in repair costs, many times without actually fixing the cars; and litigation so serious the company this spring warned investors of the financial threat posed by defects in what Ford called its DPS6 transmission.

Apart from the legal risks, “Total quality related spending for DPS6 could reach $3 billion,” read a 2016 internal report that projected the costs through 2020.

In a statement Wednesday to the Free Press, Ford said conversations about "challenges common to innovative new technology" were "normal exchanges." It said many customers were unaccustomed to the feel of the transmission and acknowledged that, "After the new transmission was on the road, other problems developed. We acted quickly and determinedly to investigate the problems. ... While we eventually resolved the quality issues, the solutions were more complex and took longer than we expected. We regret the inconvenience and frustration that caused some consumers." It acknowledged discussion of switching to a different transmission and said it made choices based on what it thought "best for customers."

Continues at link

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-11-2019),jzchev28 (07-12-2019),Neanderthal (07-11-2019),Oldsmobile stopped (07-12-2019),RamJet502 (07-15-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

Really long read, but interesting. Fraud stories always pique my interest, especially what drives otherwise good people to do wrong.

I wonder if issues like these are why GM has stayed away from such transmissions.

Somewhere in the article it mentions that VW had reported a few issues. I'd put money on it that VW had a lot of issues and covered it up based on what the VW emissions scandal tells us about their corporate culture.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

I remember reading at the time when major problems were being reported that some were saying it was because they were a dry clutch setup vs a wet clutch setup and that's why they felt so different vs their euro counterparts. Not sure how true that is or not but makes you wonder why they didn't just swap over to what the euro Fords were using for a transmissions instead if that's the case.

Either way this was a poor move on Ford's part. They should have just stuck with a normal 6 speed auto.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (07-12-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

So....GM shipped eleventybillion cars with 3100s and 3400s knowing those motors were absolute garbage
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (07-16-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 642 Posts

Ford has offered Compensation to purchasers by way of "Trade in Cash" of up to $2000, extra. But that offer went away when the Class Action Lawsuit went through.

The "Getrag" 6 DC has been an issue, Jerky, Oil Leaks, Clutch wear. But there wasn't a choice, (other than a Manual, or a 6 Speed Auto with the 1.0L)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DequindreToo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo

Ford deserves every bit of grief they get for this. These vehicles have been absolute nightmares for owners.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DequindreToo For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (07-12-2019),RamJet502 (07-16-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,126 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Really long read, but interesting.

I wonder if issues like these are why GM has stayed away from such transmissions.

Somewhere in the article it mentions that VW had reported a few issues. I'd put money on it that VW had a lot of issues and covered it up based on what the VW emissions scandal tells us about their corporate culture.
    I recall VW in Australia having lawsuits filed against them over cars stalling OR taking off into traffic and someone's daughter was killed or some other "headline" event

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    So....GM shipped eleventybillion cars with 3100s and 3400s knowing those motors were absolute garbage
    And that triggered Ford to use a flawed transmission?

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-11-2019),criticalmass (07-11-2019),FenwickHockey65 (07-11-2019),jzchev28 (07-12-2019),Neanderthal (07-11-2019),Oldsmobile stopped (07-12-2019),RamJet502 (07-16-2019),Syclone478 (07-11-2019),TruckMan (07-11-2019),wallus13 (07-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    And that triggered Ford to use a flawed transmission?
    no, but it just shows it is not only ford that chases quick quarter profits regardless of what the next year might look like.

this time it came back to bite them good, 3 bil is not easy to swallow

I bet the new 5.3 dfm will be a total disaster and it will make the oil consumption on the old 5.3 look like a sippy cup
    Last edited by canadian.bacon; 07-11-2019 at 12:40 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 Times in 2,183 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

As a Ford fan,
    The most damning thing for Ford was that its 2015 Global refresh of Focus included the 1.5 EB /6F auto trans while North America kept selling the 2.0 DI/Powershift auto....they had the solution four years ago but refused to budge in North America.

This is all on Mark Fields and to a degree Alan Mulally for cheaping out on customers and just burying their head in the sand. No wonder Fields was fighting not to testify... I wonder how long his nose is gonna grow on the stand...I wonder if he tried to pin it all on Joe Hinrichs and fire him..

IMO, this was Ford executing a massive end run around lemon laws, the courts need to send a big message on doing that. Personally, I hope they rub Ford's nose in it and order Ford to to buy back every one of them and settle with customers, the trans can't be fixed and should be regarded as a massive lemon. The fact that Ford has been dragged to litigation shows just how ARROGANT and UNCARING Ford is on this matter when they know damned well know the customer was right.

Someone at Ford decided that it was cheaper to tough this out and keep customers angry. it's time the court showed Ford just hwo wrong it was by giving them a bill with lots and lots of zeros.

Also, every other Ford buyer has it within theeir power to show Ford their displeasure, i'm not saying don't buy Ford but, you could delay your purchase for 6 or 12 months or whenever this is settled and tell the dealer that.
    That would send Ford an even bigger message
    Last edited by jpd80; 07-11-2019 at 01:10 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-11-2019),Chassis Guy (07-11-2019),DequindreToo (07-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Fanbois to the rescue! Really??

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-11-2019),big swede (07-14-2019),FenwickHockey65 (07-11-2019),jzchev28 (07-12-2019),megeebee (07-11-2019),RamJet502 (07-16-2019),Syclone478 (07-11-2019),TruckMan (07-11-2019),Vagon11 (07-11-2019),wallus13 (07-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

looked around a bit, so it seems due to 1 individual, ford screwed up good:

"A month before the Focus went to dealers, Craig Renneker, then acting director of transmission and driveline engineering, emailed Richard Bonifas, a customer service manager at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, where the cars were being built.

“The 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with the DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop … ship the vehicles to the dealers with the level of shudder we currently have and continue our efforts towards a permanent resolution ASAP,” Renneker wrote on Feb. 21, 2011. “That’s just my opinion and it’s not a popular one.”

Now he is no longer at Ford, but why would you hire somebody like him in a such a high position:

Craig Renneker
    Vice President- Driveline Product Engineering
    AAM - American Axle & Manufacturing

22. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (07-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    no, but it just shows it is not only ford that chases quick quarter profits regardless of what the next year might look like.

this time it came back to bite them good, 3 bil is not easy to swallow

I bet the new 5.3 dfm will be a total disaster and it will make the oil consumption on the old 5.3 look like a sippy cup
    I doubt that anyone on GMI thinks GM is above doing stuff like this, especially after the ignition switch scandal.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    looked around a bit, so it seems due to 1 individual, ford screwed up good:

"A month before the Focus went to dealers, Craig Renneker, then acting director of transmission and driveline engineering, emailed Richard Bonifas, a customer service manager at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, where the cars were being built.

“The 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with the DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop … ship the vehicles to the dealers with the level of shudder we currently have and continue our efforts towards a permanent resolution ASAP,” Renneker wrote on Feb. 21, 2011. “That’s just my opinion and it’s not a popular one.”

Now he is no longer at Ford, but why would you hire somebody like him in a such a high position:

Craig Renneker
    Vice President- Driveline Product Engineering
    AAM - American Axle & Manufacturing
    My take was a lot of Ford employees could have "blown the whistle", but didn't. Though I do agree the highest ranking person in the know should take it on the chin.

I do and don't understand the lower level employee's point of view. I do get how the higher levels wave their magic wands and expect the lower levels to exclusively work around the clock to resolve a problem but offer no assistance to help get day to day stuff done. That can run you into the ground quickly.

But at the same token, people are getting hurt and could die. I don't want that on my conscience. And to a lesser extent, those poor people with cars that are basically worthless - that is a very hard and painful financial hit to take if you aren't making a lot of money - I don't want that on my conscience either.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (07-12-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    As a Ford fan,
    The most damning thing for Ford was that its 2015 Global refresh of Focus included the 1.5 EB /6F auto trans while North America kept selling the 2.0 DI/Powershift auto....they had the solution four years ago but refused to budge in North America.

This is all on Mark Fields and to a degree Alan Mulally for cheaping out on customers and just burying their head in the sand. No wonder Fields was fighting not to testify... I wonder how long his nose is gonna grow on the stand...I wonder if he tried to pin it all on Joe Hinrichs and fire him..

IMO, this was Ford executing a massive end run around lemon laws, the courts need to send a big message on doing that. Personally, I hope they rub Ford's nose in it and order Ford to to buy back every one of them and settle with customers, the trans can't be fixed and should be regarded as a massive lemon. The fact that Ford has been dragged to litigation shows just how ARROGANT and UNCARING Ford is on this matter whan they know damned well
    It's Pinto 2.0

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Burr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-11-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast