Ford extends transmission warranty for 560K Fiestas, Focuses

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford extends transmission warranty for 560K Fiestas, Focuses

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 650 Posts

Ford extends transmission warranty for 560K Fiestas, Focuses

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/ford-ex...uses-1.4549171

The Associated Press
    Published Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:45AM EDT
    Last Updated Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:08AM EDT

DETROIT -- Ford is extending the warranties on about 560,000 small cars in the U.S. and Canada to cover a litany of problems with a troubled six-speed automatic transmission.

The company has faced a string of lawsuits and complaints about the transmissions, which can lurch into gear or feel like they are slipping.

The latest move covers 2014 through 2016 model year Focuses built before Nov. 5, 2015, as well as 2014 and 2015 Fiestas built before Oct. 15, 2014.

It extends clutch warranties to seven years or 100,000 miles, while the warranty on the transmission control computer goes to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Ford also will reimburse customers in this group who paid for clutch repairs out of their own pockets, and it's giving owners of older Focuses and Fiestas another chance to get a free transmission software update.

The extension, coupled with previous Ford actions, means that all Focuses and Fiestas built before the second half of 2015 will get the extended warranties. The company says fixes were made at the factory for cars built after that time.

It's another development in a long string of problems with the Ford transmissions, which have resulted in a lawsuit settlement in the U.S. and a fine in Australia. In 2017, Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford settled a class-action lawsuit and agreed to pay owners of 2012 to 2016 Focus and 2011 to 2016 Fiesta cars up to $2,325. Those who paid for repairs could also be reimbursed in the complex settlement.

Vice-President of Powertrain engineering Dave Filipe says tests show that customers are satisfied with cars that have received transmission hardware and software updates. Third-party surveys such as J.D. Power & Associates show the transmission "provides a competitive level of shift quality," Filipe said. The warranty extensions are not related to the lawsuit settlement, Filipe said.

The latest batch of cars originally had a five-year, 60,000-mile transmission warranty, but didn't get the extended warranties offered on older models until now. Filipe said Ford fixed clutch seals on many of the cars but realized later that customers still were unhappy. The company also saw an uptick in clutch repairs from the latest group of cars, he said.

In July, the Detroit Free Press reported that Ford knew the transmissions had problems before they went on sale, and that thousands of people have complained to the government about safety problems with them. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the U.S. government's road safety agency, said Wednesday that it reviewed complaints about the transmissions and other data and "has not found evidence of an unreasonable risk to safety."

"The customer satisfaction campaigns announced by Ford are intended to address reports involving shuddering and loss of power of affected vehicles," the agency said in a statement. "The agency will continue to monitor complaints and other data, maintain communication with Ford, and take action as necessary."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,868 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Ford extends transmission warranty for 560K Fiestas, Focuses

I wonder why Ford would do this for 560k vehicles when I was told that this is a minor problem isolated to a handful of vehicles. Must be Ford just being a good bunch of guys and making people happy by arbitrarily extending their warranties.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (08-14-2019),JimmyDiablo (08-14-2019),Neanderthal (08-14-2019),TruckMan (08-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,038 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Must be Ford just being a good bunch of guys and making people happy by arbitrarily extending their warranties.

Pheobe Howard from Detroit Free Press deserves a lot of credit for turning Ford into a "good bunch of guys", if only temporarily. Had it not been for Howard's investigative report - along with multiple lawsuits - it's unlikely that Ford would have implemented this warranty extension.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-14-2019),jesda1 (08-14-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,694 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I wonder why Ford would do this for 560k vehicles when I was told that this is a minor problem isolated to a handful of vehicles. Must be Ford just being a good bunch of guys and making people happy by arbitrarily extending their warranties.
    They're all a problem but most of them have managed to stay together.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,309 Times in 3,958 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

They're just a bunch of Swell Guys! You should know this by now, GTP.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,868 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    They're just a bunch of Swell Guys! You should know this by now, GTP.
    I learned on GMI that only GM is evil and the grass is greener everywhere else, especially at Ford. Ford's grass is super green, they use a lot of fertilizer there!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-15-2019),TruckMan (08-14-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 657 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Good move. All it took was years of bad publicity and lawsuits.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-15-2019),gkr778 (08-15-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

I learned on GMI that only GM is evil and the grass is greener everywhere else, especially at Ford. Ford's grass is super green, they use a lot of fertilizer there!
    GMI has telling me for years that GM transmissions are crap and Fords are the best.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-15-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 657 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

The GM transmission in my BMW is the best functioning, most reliable part.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-15-2019)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements