Ford to eliminate 7,000 jobs - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ford to eliminate 7,000 jobs

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,484 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: Ford to eliminate 7,000 jobs

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I think what most upsets about GM’s plant and production changes is simply how rapidly it was executed compared to Ford. I’ll give G this, they do Chang in a grand scale while Ford is much slower and saving money by adding new products in existing car plants. A little more humane on production workers.

But what most are missing with Ford’s 7,000 global jobs is that they are salaried positions which are usually longer term / career employees, I don’t think Adam Jonas’ extrapolation of Ford needing to end another 23,000 jobs is at all accurate and looks at the problem in isolation while disregarding the cumulative affects of multiple changes that includes new products that buyers want with higher profit margins.

None of this is to place Ford above GM or even FCA, simply pointing out that again, the two are at different places with their respective transformations...starting next year, Ford will have a lot more products flowing from is Mexican plants.
    It seems like 23,000 is an absolute extreme number. How many salary positions do they have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,121 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It seems like 23,000 is an absolute extreme number. How many salary positions do they have?
    About 70,000.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thanks
    Thanked 7,871 Times in 3,954 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I think what most upsets about GM’s plant and production changes is simply how rapidly it was executed compared to Ford. I’ll give G this, they do Chang in a grand scale while Ford is much slower and saving money by adding new products in existing car plants. A little more humane on production workers.

But what most are missing with Ford’s 7,000 global jobs is that they are salaried positions which are usually longer term / career employees, I don’t think Adam Jonas’ extrapolation of Ford needing to end another 23,000 jobs is at all accurate and looks at the problem in isolation while disregarding the cumulative affects of multiple changes that includes new products that buyers want with higher profit margins.

None of this is to place Ford above GM or even FCA, simply pointing out that again, the two are at different places with their respective transformations...starting next year, Ford will have a lot more products flowing from is Mexican plants.
    Being white collar, it always irks me that it's tragic when the blue collar guy gets laid off but ok for the "rich" white collar guy is let go. White collar doesn't necessarily mean rich - the round of layoffs my company did was a combination of blue and white collar. I worked at the HQ, in the white collar group were a lot of admins - who are paid a lot less than most blue collar folks. And just because you are a director level or higher doesn't mean you have a ton of cash, mortgages are bigger, you don't qualify for college grants so you are paying $80k a year to send Johnny to college, etc.. It sucks for almost everyone to lose their job.

Somehow on GMI some people paint Ford as this great company that treats their employees so much better. After GM announced the shutdown of plants I was told how Ford doesn't let employees go, they just find other work for them, Ford is awesome! Not to shortly later we hear Ford laying people off, not so awesome. But that's the thing, there is this perception of how great Ford is. Yes, maybe they have a little less production in Mexico, but they still do have production, they lay people off. The grass is always greener....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-22-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (05-22-2019),TruckMan (05-22-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,484 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Being white collar, it always irks me that it's tragic when the blue collar guy gets laid off but ok for the "rich" white collar guy is let go. White collar doesn't necessarily mean rich - the round of layoffs my company did was a combination of blue and white collar. I worked at the HQ, in the white collar group were a lot of admins - who are paid a lot less than most blue collar folks. And just because you are a director level or higher doesn't mean you have a ton of cash, mortgages are bigger, you don't qualify for college grants so you are paying $80k a year to send Johnny to college, etc.. It sucks for almost everyone to lose their job.

Somehow on GMI some people paint Ford as this great company that treats their employees so much better. After GM announced the shutdown of plants I was told how Ford doesn't let employees go, they just find other work for them, Ford is awesome! Not to shortly later we hear Ford laying people off, not so awesome. But that's the thing, there is this perception of how great Ford is. Yes, maybe they have a little less production in Mexico, but they still do have production, they lay people off. The grass is always greener....
    It's because white collar folks get cut far less often and usually have the skills to move on rather easily especially in this job market. While you have one company who lied, GM, to an entire town, Lordstown, it becomes an issue. GM has done this multiple times after getting cities to invest millions (Spring Hill, Oshawa etc etc) and then they shut down shop later on. GM has an absolute insanity over getting a plant running for ONE product and then shutting it down later. That's the frustration that comes along with GM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,214 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It's because white collar folks get cut far less often and usually have the skills to move on rather easily especially in this job market. While you have one company who lied, GM, to an entire town, Lordstown, it becomes an issue. GM has done this multiple times after getting cities to invest millions (Spring Hill, Oshawa etc etc) and then they shut down shop later on. GM has an absolute insanity over getting a plant running for ONE product and then shutting it down later. That's the frustration that comes along with GM.
    If it could be proven that GM lied to anybody, they could be sued in court. I'm betting Lordstown CLAIMS that GM lied, but they never did. Cities/companies don't invest millions based on verbal agreements. There are contracts that dictate what must happen by both parties. If either party breaks the contract, there are consequences. Nothing else matters but the contract.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-22-2019),richmond2000 (05-23-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,535 Times in 2,305 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

I get your own situation but the topic at hand, the 7,000 job losses only means something like 800 from North America while the rest will come from Europe, South America, China and ROW where restructuring is badly needed. No one ever likes to see jobs taken away from workers but it a sad fact that efficiency demands that fewer people be used to greater effect. Most white collar people realize this and continue to update their skills and CVs, so it's not like most expect "job for life" situation any more.

Let's look at this in context, GM gave away Opel and Vauxhall to PSA and took a $4 Billion charge to walk away from pension liabilities - those employees now off GM's books will face restructuring under PSA where as Ford Europe and it various global regional centers will now be asked to make some sacrifices and that stays on Ford and the stare of the media.

From time to time, Adam Jonas makes provocative statements like this 23k redundancies to simply draw out a corrective statement from Ford but Hackett is too smart and just ignores it. the reality is that new synergies between greater internal efficiency and newer better matched products will actually grow Ford's global business and result in better ROI..
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-22-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    If it could be proven that GM lied to anybody, they could be sued in court. I'm betting Lordstown CLAIMS that GM lied, but they never did. Cities/companies don't invest millions based on verbal agreements. There are contracts that dictate what must happen by both parties. If either party breaks the contract, there are consequences. Nothing else matters but the contract.
    Yes indeed.

It's worth reading Charter Township of Ypsilanti v. General Motors Corp (201 Mich. App. 128, 506 N.W.2d 556 (1993). In this case, the municipality of Ypsilanti Charter Township, Michigan sued General Motors for consolidating production of B-Body Chevy Caprice at Arlington (Texas) Assembly, resulting in the closure of Willow Run Assembly located in Ypsilanti Charter Township.

The plaintiff claimed that the defendant applied for and received property tax abatements for its Willow Run facilities, obligating GM to keep Willow Run Assembly open. It also invoked the concept of promissory estoppel on the basis of a verbal statement made by a Willow Run plant manager during a public hearing.

Outcomes
    :
    • The trial court found that the abatement statute and application did not create a contract between the township and the corporation.
    • However, it did find that defendant was bound by promissory estoppel to retain production of the Caprice line in Willow Run, as long as the company produces that model.
    • The case was appealed. According to LexRoll, "The [Michigan Court of Appeals] held that the trial court’s finding that defendant promised to keep Caprice and station wagon production at Willow Run was clearly erroneous. The fact that a corporation solicits a tax abatement and persuades a municipality with assurances of jobs is not evidence of a promise. The fact that a manufacturer uses hyperbole and puffery in seeking an advantage or concession does not necessarily create a promise. Almost all the statements the trial court cited were expressions of defendant’s hopes or expectations and not a promise."
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-23-2019),TruckMan (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,871 Times in 3,954 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I get your own situation but the topic at hand, the 7,000 job losses only means something like 800 from North America while the rest will come from Europe, South America, China and ROW where restructuring is badly needed. No one ever likes to see jobs taken away from workers but it a sad fact that efficiency demands that fewer people be used to greater effect. Most white collar people realize this and continue to update their skills and CVs, so it's not like most expect "job for life" situation any more.

Let's look at this in context, GM gave away Opel and Vauxhall to PSA and took a $4 Billion charge to walk away from pension liabilities - those employees now off GM's books will face restructuring under PSA where as Ford Europe and it various global regional centers will now be asked to make some sacrifices and that stays on Ford and the stare of the media.

From time to time, Adam Jonas makes provocative statements like this 23k redundancies to simply draw out a corrective statement from Ford but Hackett is too smart and just ignores it. the reality is that new synergies between greater internal efficiency and newer better matched products will actually grow Ford's global business and result in better ROI..
    But why is Ford's restructuring badly needed and a good thing, but GM is simply corporate greed?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-23-2019),TruckMan (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

But why is Ford's restructuring badly needed and a good thing, but GM is simply corporate greed?
    Don't know, could be vivid imaginations.

In all seriousness, anyone who understands the global automotive industry knows that Ford and GM both need a major organizational transformation in order to remain healthy in the years to come. There is a lot of "fat" to cut at both companies.
    Last edited by gkr778; 05-23-2019 at 06:30 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-23-2019),richmond2000 (05-23-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,096 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I know we hear this a lot. Still, who in hell is worth 18 mil? I'm thinking there are thousands of people out there who could run MoFoCo as well as or better than Jimmuh Hackett who could be had for a mil or two.

Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Jim Hackett's compensation rose about 6 percent in 2018, a year the CEO characterized as “ mediocre by any standard” for the automaker. Hackett received $17.75 million in total compensation, up from about $16.7 million in 2017.Mar 15, 2019
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information