Ford deal to build electric cars in Oakville comes amid $500M government cash to upgr

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford deal to build electric cars in Oakville comes amid $500M government cash to upgr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 786 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Ford deal to build electric cars in Oakville comes amid $500M government cash to upgr

The federal government and Ontario have pledged to spend up to $500 million to make the Ford plant in Oakville, Ont., able to build electric vehicles.

The future of the plant has been a key question for Canada's automotive industry ever since the Unifor union started negotiating with the automaker for a new three-year pact to cover the company's Canadian workforce.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/for...cles-1.5733943

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 799 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Re: Ford deal to build electric cars in Oakville comes amid $500M government cash to

This made me very Happy. As I stated earlier, the Edge Refresh added a Larger than needed Gas Door, ready for a Plug In of DEF tank.

At least Ford isn't abandoning Canada in the Near Future.

That being said, Unifor should also be Thankful. I have noticed more little sloppy assembly work from the Edge Line than any other Ford Lines, even pre Covid.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 09-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 786 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Re: Ford deal to build electric cars in Oakville comes amid $500M government cash to

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    At least Ford isn't abandoning Canada in the Near Future.

That being said, Unifor should also be Thankful. I have noticed more little sloppy assembly work from the Edge Line than any other Ford Lines, even pre Covid.
    I think there is a good chance an EV comes to Oshawa from GM down the road if all goes well with the test facility there.

I live in Oakville but I have never felt the quality at Oakville was anything special. The Edge has always been just ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (09-23-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I will say Oakville has never produced a flawlessly assembled car for me, but I've bought many and love them anyway. I've learned to inspect the cars I pickup thoroughly for panel gaps and to get them fixed before delivery. I will say the only problem I've had with my 1-year old Lincoln Nautilus came from the factory, and that's a busted interior trim piece on the B-Pillar that wouldn't fit flush which had to be replaced. A Black Label car shouldn't come out of the factory like that, but I also don't give it much thought since it's a small easily sorted issue.

Anyway, I'm still very appreciative of that plant and the people that work there and glad to see it continue.
    Last edited by BORG; 09-23-2020 at 11:21 AM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information