Ford Caught Testing Weird Raptor Mule

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Caught Testing Weird Raptor Mule

Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,064 Posts

Ford Caught Testing Weird Raptor Mule

This Sure Looks Like a Full-Size Ford Bronco Test Mule
    Ford Caught Testing Strange Raptor Mule
    MSN Autos

What do we have here? Some sort of Ford prototype of a vehicle that definitely does not exist in production: A short-cab, short-bed F-150 in Raptor guise. We have no idea what this test mule is, but it sure as hell looks like a full-size Bronco.

Take a close look at what we've got here. This vehicle has the ultra-wide track of the current F-150 Raptor, sporting factory-fit Raptor wheels and tires. The structures we see behind those mocked-up front and rear bumpers match what you see when you yank the bumpers off a Raptor-see this aftermarket bumper installation guide for confirmation. But you can't buy a Raptor, or any current F-150, with this short-cab, short-bed configuration.

Our first thought upon seeing these spy photos was that this is some sort of Ranger-based prototype, but that doesn't fit what we see. The current Ranger has a track width of 61.4 inches, far narrower than the roughly 74-inch track width of today's F-150 Raptor. Even the Ranger Raptor, the badass off-road variant that Ford sells in a handful of global markets, has a track width more than six inches narrower than the Raptor's. And yet, the wheels on the Raptor-based prototype you see here sit fully flush in the wheelwells, the same way they do on a production-spec F-150 Raptor.

Just how short is that wheelbase? A very rough estimate, using the 17-inch diameter of the wheels as a guideline, puts this prototype's wheelbase at around 108 inches. That's mighty short for a pickup truck. But it's right in the ballpark of the last F-150-based full-size Bronco, which had a wheelbase of 104.7 inches.
    **Full Article At Link**
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 06-09-2019 at 07:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Ford Caught Testing Weird Raptor Mule

Kinda looked like a bad photoshop to me at first, but after doing a google image search, it's all over the internet with the same story, so what say you all??!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Now that's shorty. I'd call that a stump jumper. We all know from the internet that this mule most likely has the chassis of the new Bronco under it, and it looks promising.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Now that's shorty. I'd call that a stump jumper. We all know from the internet that this mule most likely has the chassis of the new Bronco under it, and it looks promising.
    Yeah, almost positive it's a disguised Bronco.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Yeah, almost positive it's a disguised Bronco.
    Yeah, but the Raptor is like a foot wider than a Ranger, which is what the new Bronco is based on so....are they going to roll out a full sized Bronco based off of F150 as well?!

And Ranger Raptor already exists in other markets so no need to test that setup on another platform let alone a different class of vehicle that the New Bronco would be based on.
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 06-09-2019 at 07:55 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (06-10-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

JimmyDiable brings up a good point i broached elsewhere as well. If this is just another 2020 Bronco mule then we have to account for the massive difference in track between this and the Ranger based mule. Unless of course, there is going to be a Raptor Bronco and it will have an even more outrageous increase in track than other Raptor models have. Worth noting in my opinion, I did some math and the wheelbase of this is almost spot on the wheelbase of the Ranger-based mule.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Yeah, but the Raptor is like a foot wider than a Ranger, which is what the new Bronco is based on so....are they going to roll out a full sized Bronco based off of F150 as well?!

And Ranger Raptor already exists in other markets so no need to test that setup on another platform let alone a different class of vehicle that the New Bronco would be based on.
    Good point.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Handler's Avatar
    Thanks

Evidently, Ford is planning a Bronco sub-brand. In other words, they're whoring out the Bronco name.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,448 Times in 2,259 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

I'd say that it's a power train mule for the 2-Door T6 Bronco
    and by the looks of it, that's the Rock Crawler version.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It looks like it's a platform mule, testing the shortened frame and has little to do with what sits ontop of it. I haven't seen any product codes suggesting a full-size Bronco, just the new trucks...but there it is. Who knows! I could definitely see a 3-Bronco approach, Compact (Scout), Midsize (Bronco), and whatever this is (Timberline?). I would say any connection to the T6 Bronco is unlikely, these platforms are extremely different. The Bronco is a Ranger, they have their Ranger mules.
    Last edited by BORG; 06-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    It looks like it's a platform mule, testing the shortened platform and has little to do with what sits ontop of it. I haven't seen any product codes suggesting a full-size Bronco, just the new trucks...but there it is. Who knows! I could definitely see a 3-Bronco approach, Compact (Scout), Midsize (Bronco), and whatever this is.
    It can't be any sort of testing mule for Bronco proper, as it looks like an otherwise "stock" Raptor underneath.

Ranger is 73.3" wide.

A regular F-150 is 79.9" wide

Raptor is 86.3" wide, +6.4" over the regular model

Assuming Bronco is the same width as Ranger (which it may grow slightly for the NG, and Bronco is on the NG platform), a Bronco Raptor could theoretically be 79.7, which is virtually the same width as the regular F-150, but still 6.6" narrower than the F-150 Raptor. I don't see any reduced track width on that model, which appears to otherwise use a completely stock Raptor body (not a hacked up narrowed version). The wheels aren't sitting way inside the wheel wells like they would if they were just hiding a Ranger platform under a F-150 body.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Whatever it is, it looks promising based off the stance and tires alone!

Definitely not a FWD CUV!
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (06-10-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-11-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Short cab & short bed? That's short!

If it's way too wide for the Ranger, then what else? Maybe they decided to base the Bronco off of the trucks instead of the Ranger? Maybe another iteration of Bronco and Bronco II - mini and full-size?

Maybe for something outside of the US? This small of a footprint is going to have a massive CAFE impact.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,448 Times in 2,259 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Bronco comes with the wide wheel arches like you see on the Raptor.The previous mule with cobbled together Ranger body gives away nothing
    about new actual width.

You guys are gonna be amazed when you see it.
    Last edited by jpd80; 06-10-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Looks to me like a guy that had a regular cab f150 and made a odd proportioned looking raptor out of it.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information