Ford is Being Sued in Federal Court Over The 2019 Ford Ranger

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford is Being Sued in Federal Court Over The 2019 Ford Ranger

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Ford is Being Sued in Federal Court Over The 2019 Ford Ranger

Ford is being sued in Federal court alleging that Ford misrepresented the fuel economy for the 2019 Ford Ranger and used deceptive advertising: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...gs/1131809001/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,447 Times in 2,258 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: Ford is Being Sued in Federal Court Over The 2019 Ford Ranger

The lawsuit filed Monday on behalf of Texas resident and 2019 Ranger owner Marshall Lloyd and "on behalf of all others similarly situated" alleges Ford deliberately miscalculated road testing factors during its internal fuel economy test process "in order to report that its vehicles were more efficient than they actually were."

Ford then used the higher fuel economy as a "selling tool," according to the lawsuit. Lloyd purchased his 2019 Ranger "on or about" Feb. 20, just a day before Ford publicly announced it was investigating the vehicle's fuel economy.

The lawsuit cites multiple blogs that claimed to find the Ranger's fuel economy was not close to the EPA rating. Berman and Hilliard also allege that Ford programmed the vehicle's computers "with a mileage cheat device to continue to lie about the vehicle's fuel economy in order to continually conceal the misrepresentation."
    Good luck with that fishing trip......

If this was just an error in applying a new recommended road load factor, reported internally and acted upon, then how is that deliberate intention to mislead the public?

Lawyer's trying to get more mileage themselves by accusing Ford of using cheat software in the vehicles, that's very easy to prove or disprove.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-07-2019 at 07:19 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

" Actual customer mileage may vary". It looks to me like unscrupulous lawyers looking to pad their pockets here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-08-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 3,901 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Agreed with the above, this seems pretty tenuous... Plus, I thought I had read that Ford's miscalculation was pretty small, though not 100% sure on my memory.

As I think about it, I wonder why the manufacturers don't start their own lawsuits - how much did VW's cheating damage the competition? Meaning I'd think Opel, Peugot, Fiat, etc. lost sales to VW based on VW's lies to the consumer. Why do they not sue VW for lost profits? Is it because of the difficulty in quantifying? Or possibly a gentlemens agreement where they don't want to keep suing each other because eventually they will all have their day when getting caught doing something?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC, LB Duramax

If you watch the You Tube reviews of the Ranger, mpg has been brought up as an issue on the ones I have seen. Whether it can be proved or not as being illegally deceptive, I guess we shall see.
    2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1 AGM/2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1/1LE on order.
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC LB SRW Duramax

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    " Actual customer mileage may vary". It looks to me like unscrupulous lawyers looking to pad their pockets here.
    It’s not just about class action suits and could involve much more than just the new Ranger model. The feds are conducting a criminal investigation as well.

Ford Motor Co. Under Criminal Investigation By Government Over Emissions Certification

"We voluntarily disclosed this matter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board on February 18, 2019, and February 21, 2019, respectively. Subsequently, the U.S. Department of Justice opened a criminal investigation into the matter. In addition, we have notified a number of other state and federal agencies. We are fully cooperating with all government agencies. Because this matter is still in the preliminary stages, we cannot predict the outcome, and we cannot provide assurance that it will not have a material adverse effect on us."

Ford said in February that it had begun an internal investigation into whether its vehicles have worse gas mileage and emit more pollutants than car, truck and SUV labels actually reveal, going back to 2017 models.
    2016 FORD F250 4X4 - 2018 CHEVY VOLT PREMIER - 2017 INDIAN CHIEFTAIN

Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoasthd For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (05-09-2019),TruckMan (05-09-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Probably the same issues with MPG as all of their EcoBoost products. I mean, they are turbos. Everyone (should) know that when you get into boost, wave goodbye to your fuel economy.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

My 2019 Ranger's trip mileage is within 6% of my manually recorded Fuelly mileage. Seems like it works fine to me.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,164 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthd View Post
    It’s not just about class action suits and could involve much more than just the new Ranger model. The feds are conducting a criminal investigation as well.

Ford Motor Co. Under Criminal Investigation By Government Over Emissions Certification

"We voluntarily disclosed this matter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board on February 18, 2019, and February 21, 2019, respectively. Subsequently, the U.S. Department of Justice opened a criminal investigation into the matter. In addition, we have notified a number of other state and federal agencies. We are fully cooperating with all government agencies. Because this matter is still in the preliminary stages, we cannot predict the outcome, and we cannot provide assurance that it will not have a material adverse effect on us."

Ford said in February that it had begun an internal investigation into whether its vehicles have worse gas mileage and emit more pollutants than car, truck and SUV labels actually reveal, going back to 2017 models.
    the FEDS are supposed to open a criminal investigation that is there JOB as there is a CHANCE FORD did break the LAW VS a "simple" maths error or a miss understanding of the testing requirements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,164 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyKJ View Post
    My 2019 Ranger's trip mileage is within 6% of my manually recorded Fuelly mileage. Seems like it works fine to me.
    the "issue at hand" is the trucks ACTUAL fuel economy VS the STICKER economy the truck was SOLD CLAIMING to get

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,197 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    Probably the same issues with MPG as all of their EcoBoost products. I mean, they are turbos. Everyone (should) know that when you get into boost, wave goodbye to your fuel economy.
    As the owner of one of those Ecoboost engines for over 100K miles, there is no issue with the actual fuel economy vs the economy stated on the window sticker. Throughout those 100K miles, my Explorer Sport (3.5L Ecoboost) has always achieved the rated economy or better. The only time it was lower was when brand new when everything was very tight. This lasted about 3-4,000 miles.

Otherwise yes, if you drive it like you stole it, your mileage will be less................... as it is with all vehicles.

I love people who don't own things talking about things like they actually know. They cherry pick postings on the internet like they are the absolute truth. I guarantee you that I can take any vehicle made, and make it get far lower fuel economy than it is rated from.............. over the course of thousands of miles.
    The resident "girl"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-09-2019),jpd80 (05-09-2019),richmond2000 (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    the "issue at hand" is the trucks ACTUAL fuel economy VS the STICKER economy the truck was SOLD CLAIMING to get
    and the issue here is that driving on an open road is not the same as the EPA test cycle

Ford has admitted that it may have not applied the proper correction factors during testing
    and has begun an independent internal investigation of its test procedures and the data.

On top of that, the criminal investigation is launched because of VW's behaviour in the lead up
    to diesel gate when it tried to delay/avoid any investigation into its testing and emissions data.
    I suspect that deliberate or wilful actions to subvert testing regimes will be the first thing checked,
    followed by any deviations in following set out procedures and test standards.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-09-2019),Extreme4x4 (05-09-2019),richmond2000 (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    As the owner of one of those Ecoboost engines for over 100K miles, there is no issue with the actual fuel economy vs the economy stated on the window sticker. Throughout those 100K miles, my Explorer Sport (3.5L Ecoboost) has always achieved the rated economy or better. The only time it was lower was when brand new when everything was very tight. This lasted about 3-4,000 miles.

Otherwise yes, if you drive it like you stole it, your mileage will be less................... as it is with all vehicles.

I love people who don't own things talking about things like they actually know. They cherry pick postings on the internet like they are the absolute truth. I guarantee you that I can take any vehicle made, and make it get far lower fuel economy than it is rated from.............. over the course of thousands of miles.
    On the smaller I-4 EBs and I-3 EBs there is an issue with "cowding" the gas pedal, the throttle tip-in at small openings
    is not linear, it opens much quicker and induces enrichment when your foot presses into the gas pedal. It's easy for
    some drivers to do if they are used to driving larger capacity non-turbo vehicle.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,197 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    On the smaller I-4 EBs and I-3 EBs there is an issue with "cowding" the gas pedal, the throttle tip-in at small openings
    is not linear, it opens much quicker and induces enrichment when your foot presses into the gas pedal. It's easy for
    some drivers to do if they are used to driving larger capacity non-turbo vehicle.
    Anyone coming from a N/A vehicle of any size is going to have a learning curve with the EB engines. They have instant throttle response. There is no need to rev the engine. Thus, you use a lot less throttle. This is something you get used to if you have 3 brain cells to rub together.

I go from my V10 gas F250 to the Sport. Completely different driving experience, and you have to drive them differently. It is amazing how little throttle I use in my Sport, but it is also really fun when I want it to be.
    The resident "girl"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,932 Posts

I think they should sue GM instead. I'm sure it's their fault, somehow.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

22. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (05-10-2019)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information