GM Inside News Forum banner

Ford backs off Cybertruck tug-of-war rematch, Musk doing it anyway

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  eaton53 
#1 ·
Apparently, it isn't brung.

Ford executive Sunny Madra tweeted a challenge to Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Monday for a rematch of a tug-of-war Tesla conducted between its electric Cybertruck and an F-150 that has been criticized by many, including Neil deGrasse Tyson [an American astrophysicist], for being unfairly matched, to which Elon Musk replied: "Bring it on".

However, when asked if Tesla had reached out to Ford to set up a competition, a Ford spokeswoman said "Sunny’s tweet was tongue in cheek to point out the absurdity of Tesla’s video, nothing more."
Nevertheless, Musk agreed to do right by deGrasse Tyson's suggestion that the heavier weight of the battery-powered Cybertruck gave it a traction advantage and that Musk should level the playing field and repeat the test.
Musk replied, "agreed, will be exciting to see!" He also promised to webcast the do-over live, possibly as early as next week.
Ford may have backed out of a rematch but Elon stated he is going through with their request anyway (be careful what you wish for!). If it happens, I'd still put my money on the Cybertruck in a tug-of-war. This whole thing about adding weight to the Ford seems to be tilting the scales a bit as some truck owners do tow with unladen beds (so that traction advantage will be inherent to electric models).

However, to be fair next round, it seems to me the playing field should literally be "leveled". I'm no astrophysicist (so I could be wrong here) but pulling uphill would seem to have given the Cybertruck an even greater advantage with regard to traction—even though it was presented as a detriment. Also, both trucks need to be clearly stated as being either four- or two-wheel-drive (the Ford was clearly RWD-only while I'm not certain how many wheels were motivating the Tesla in the initial competition).

For the record, I see this as less of a Tesla vs Ford competition as it is electric vs ICE. The other big names would fare the same so I think Ford would have been better off making that clear and reiterating their future electric plans.

This source article was linked on another automotive website: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-no-tesla-cybertruck-tug-of-war-rematch

See less See more
#3 ·
It would at least have the low-end grunt to do the job. Traction seems to be the bigger determining factor though. I'd make sure the all-terrain tires are ditched for something like this...

#4 ·
It was an obviously cheezeball test. Here's a good vid on the physics of why, by a pro-Tesla reviewer.

Reactions: 09W
#7 · (Edited)
Ha Ha - Tesla has Ford running scared.

The media has been reporting that Tesla has received about 200,000 pre-orders for this truck. The media also reported that Ford has announced the upcoming Mustang Mach-E high-end model (GT?) has been sold out - but they won’t release the numbers. They stated the sales restriction is due to battery constraint.

EDIT: After reading some more news coverage, the Mustang Mach-E edition that sold-out is the “First Edition” - but ford won’t reveal the numbers.

#12 ·
https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1199074711478644741

Neil deGrasse Tyson
@neiltyson
Replying to
@elonmusk
A badass @Tesla
looking like it’s doing a badass thing. But if the @Ford
F-150 is RWD **with no payload** then weight on the Rear Axle is greatly reduced, offering only mild traction for the Tesla to overcome. This contest is more about the Physics of Friction than Engine Power.
4:17 PM · Nov 25, 2019

#16 ·
Yeah, I can't tell you the number of times I've needed a freight train or space shuttle tow vehicle. Countless.

And as 4x4 says, this appeals to the low IQ crowd. But think of the CARBON FOOTPRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these horrible non-woke folks are creating when they do this! Mother Earth is crying!:worship::barf:

Yep.............. it's all dumb.
Goes in "WHO CARES?" department.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Like any of this matters because the Tesla is a clown truck! Real truck owners will want no part of this odd looking thing, seriously i laugh at anyone who thinks this thing is a winner. Maybe it has helped open the door to an electric truck market, i'll give it that, but sure as @#@# this tesla is no winner and won't be the bar setter here. The big 3 will dominate it once they get their foot in the door because they at the very least realize that real people do not want a over priced triangle with 4 wheels! Looks matter and this thing does not have it, reminds me of the saying " if i had a dog this ugly, i would shave it's ass and teach it to walk backwards!

#22 ·
Like any of this matters because the Tesla is a clown truck! Real truck owners will want no part of this odd looking thing, seriously i laugh at anyone who thinks this thing is a winner. Maybe it has helped open the door to an electric truck market, i'll give it that, but sure as @#@# this tesla is no winner and won't be the bar setter here. The big 3 will dominate it once they get their foot in the door because they at the very least realize that real people do not want a over priced triangle with 4 wheels! Looks matter and this thing does not have it, reminds me of the saying " if i had a dog this ugly, i would shave it's ass and teach it to walk backwards!
It's more like a pyramid than a triangle. Thinking Steve Martin's "King Tut" would fit for Marketing purposes... mwahahaha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.