FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Well, that same Chrysler cash flow has been used for both DC & FCA to prop up their failing European brands. It has been full-fledged robbery, not partnerships. I would love to see somebody lead Chrysler away from partnerships & return them to an independent operating manufacturer.
    Agree, would rather see someone with some vision buy them and provide the cash for FCA to add some viable cars beyond the Challenger, Charger and 300 for Global markets and permit FCA to continue to build it's strong Jeep and RAM brands.

Only auto brands that I think would be a good match for FCA are Honda and PSA whose lineup compliments FCA's outside of Minivan (Honda) and Commercial Vans (PSA) and both have a presence in Asia and Europe although Honda has it's issues there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Well, that same Chrysler cash flow has been used for both DC & FCA to prop up their failing European brands. It has been full-fledged robbery, not partnerships. I would love to see somebody lead Chrysler away from partnerships & return them to an independent operating manufacturer.
    Daimler Chrysler had failing brands? Where? Outside of that I agree it was a complete robbery. I don’t consider FCA to be anywhere near the same. Fact of the matter is without Sergio Chrysler would’ve been resigned to the scrap heap with the rest of the brands parsed out to other companies. Would you have been happy then? Doubt it.

Marchionne actually retained and promoted many North American leaders unlike DC. He also originally had grand plans for Dodge and Chrysler brands specifically but market realities killed them. I think it was a bit foolish for Alfa Romeo to be handled the way that it was, but robbery? No.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,410 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    Daimler Chrysler had failing brands? Where? Outside of that I agree it was a complete robbery. I don’t consider FCA to be anywhere near the same. Fact of the matter is without Sergio Chrysler would’ve been resigned to the scrap heap with the rest of the brands parsed out to other companies. Would you have been happy then? Doubt it.

Marchionne actually retained and promoted many North American leaders unlike DC. He also originally had grand plans for Dodge and Chrysler brands specifically but market realities killed them. I think it was a bit foolish for Alfa Romeo to be handled the way that it was, but robbery? No.
    Maybe not the brands as whole were failing, but it is common knowledge that Daimler was hemorrhaging money. The dam had broken in terms of spending vs. profit margin. Daimler was very concerned about their financial stability. At the time of the "merger of equals", Chrysler has a fat piggy bank. It was fed by the new 1994 Ram & the Jeep lineup (just like today). The same reasons attracted Fiat to the table when Cerberus was trying to dump Chrysler. If the heads of Chrysler hadn't been seduced by the Daimler execs promises, Chrysler was very capable of maintaining it's profitability. If the DC merger was declined & Chrysler continued on their own, they would most likely have escaped the bankruptcy proceedings in '08.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information