FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

FCA set to unveil Renault tie-up as early as Monday, reports say
    May 26, 2019
    TOMMASO EBHARDT and DANIELE LEPIDO
    autonews.com

MILAN -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is poised to announce a tie-up with Renault SA as soon as Monday, opening a path for the Italian-American automaker to eventually become part of the Renault-Nissan Motor Co. alliance, according to people familiar with the matter.

The deal may include an exchange of equity, the people said, asking not to be identified because the discussions aren’t public. Nissan isn’t involved, though the transaction would allow the carmakers to join forces later, the people said.

French newspaper Le Figaro reported that Renault will meet on Monday morning at 0800 local time (2 a.m. EDT) to discuss a possible tie-up with FCA.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 812 Posts

Re: FCA, Renault set to unveil possible tie-up Monday

Looks like Peugeot-Citroen will have to find another partner to dance. Jaguar-Land Rover might be a good consolation prize for them.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Looks like Peugeot-Citroen will have to find another partner to dance. Jaguar-Land Rover might be a good consolation prize for them.
    Yes. I read someplace that Tata was looking to either unload a portion of their investment, or possibly the entire company. PSA Groupe would make sense. But so does a possible Chinese partner. It would be sheer irony to see someone like Geely step forward and want a stake; thus reuniting JLR and Volvo under some kind of corporate parent.

FCA would have been a good fit as well, but think I remember FCA was rebuked. I think it was a few years back that Sergio Marchionne had approached JLR to work on platforms and engines between Alfa, Maserati, and JLR, but they were rebuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by autonews.com
    Talks between Fiat and Renault have accelerated in recent days, as negotiators found a way to structure a deal, the people said. Representatives from the two companies declined to comment.
    I'd be interested to see what kind of structure they come up with. Doing a deal now -- before Sergio's plan to boost Jeep/Ram's margins to optimal levels is fully implemented -- would seem to be premature. Knowing that, if there was some kind of capital tie up, one wonder's if FCA would be somewhat undervalued in any exchange.

What's more, knowing that the Nissan-Renault paradigm has played out so poorly from a political perspective, you also have to wonder if FCA is learning any lessons from the fall out. Promises were made and pressure brought to bear; could the enter an alliance but still maintain some semblance of independence?
    Last edited by nadepalma; 05-26-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-26-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

For a little trivia of history, Renault, Nissan and Alfa-Romeo now under Fiat's umbrella had some deals in the past.

Back when both Renault and Alfa-Romeo was government owned in the late 1950s. Alfa had once sold in Italy the Renault Dauphine as a Alfa-Romeo model. Some French sites mentionned the little differences between the Renault and Alfa versions.
    http://dauphinomaniac.org/Speciales/ALFA/Alfa.htm
    https://lautomobileancienne.com/alfa...phine-renault/

Later in the 1980s, Nissan and Alfa got a deal who didn't turned as they hoped.
    http://www.curbsideclassic.com/uncat...f-both-worlds/
    https://www.carjager.com/article/alf...ux-yeux-brides

Edit: Now another point to consider, the commercial vans joint-venture then Renault had with Opel/Vauxhall and Peugeot with Fiat. What will be the fate of these deals?
    Last edited by Stéphane Dumas; 05-26-2019 at 03:34 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

I'm not convinced that Jaguar and Land-Rover would be a good fit for PSA, because I don't see the synergy effect for PSA in it. All current brands of PSA benefit from each other in the way that the share platform, engines and technology. That's why a niche premium brand like DS could be exist even with a low market share. Land-Rover and especially Jaguar demands more speciality compared to FCA. However, the car business is rapidly changing lately and who knows what happened next.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Edit: Now another point to consider, the commercial vans joint-venture then Renault had with Opel/Vauxhall and Peugeot with Fiat. What will be the fate of these deals?
    The smaller LCVs already switched to PSA platforms. The Opel Movano, while currently updated, is still on the old Opel/Renault platform. Nissan also offer a LCV on this platform.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,335 Posts

For a little trivia of history, Renault, Nissan and Alfa-Romeo now under Fiat's umbrella had some deals in the past.

Back when both Renault and Alfa-Romeo was government owned in the late 1950s. Alfa had once sold in Italy the Renault Dauphine as a Alfa-Romeo model. Some French sites mentionned the little differences between the Renault and Alfa versions.
    http://dauphinomaniac.org/Speciales/ALFA/Alfa.htm
    https://lautomobileancienne.com/alfa...phine-renault/

Later in the 1980s, Nissan and Alfa got a deal who didn't turned as they hoped.
    http://www.curbsideclassic.com/uncat...f-both-worlds/
    https://www.carjager.com/article/alf...ux-yeux-brides

IIRC Opel is moving the Movano and Vivano to other platforms soon, cannot remember which one, but it is moving to a PSA platform in the next year our two.

Going to be interesting to see how FCA and Renault consolidate the Promaster Vans with Renault's.

Outside of Commercial vans there is no overlap and not sure if Renault is planning to re-enter the U.S. market (not a good idea) or just use FCA products to cover the U.S.

Not sure what if any effect Nissan or Mitsubishi will have on this deal as they are partners in the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance.

Nissan could drop the Titan and share the RAM while Nissan shares the next Frontier with RAM as the next Dakota - not the way I'd like to see it play out, but certainly a possibility.

Nissan would love to be able to share the Caravan or Pacifica but not sure about that either, OTOH Nissan does have several viable cars to offer and already shares SUV's with Renault and Mitsubishi does offer some Electric Vehicles to the mix.

Think the best bet is to keep the brands separate except for a few shared vehicles unless the need to be shared to meet regulations.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

Stéphane Dumas (05-26-2019)

Thanks

I saw that post from Allpar user 77 Monaco Brougham, who discuss also the FCA-RN case and I quoted it to share. https://www.allpar.com/forums/goto/p...ost-1085103329

I'm not from Missouri, but I'm firmly of the "Show Me!" mindset. My cynical nature will wait...and watch.

IF...and I do mean IF this actually does come to pass, then in the interests of fairness, I would have to tip my hat to longtime Allpar contributor Prabhjot*, who steadfastly maintained that IF and WHEN a deal took place, it would be a deal which would leave FCA / Elkann in the driver's seat, and not the other way round.
    *Prabhjot is also a contributor on GMInsidenews.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,637 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Now I gotta wonder...
    Is Nissan gonna get cut loose because of the stuff they pulled on Ghosn?
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Now I gotta wonder...
    Yes, they will be cut loose

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,974 Times in 3,798 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Now I gotta wonder...
    Anyone who partners with them should get a full psych workup. The one exception being any masochists who enjoy prison life in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Yes, they will be cut loose
    And so it will be! Sayonara, Datsun!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I see this as Renault's way of getting back into the U.S. market. Can also be a quick way for Ram to get it's midsize truck. Renault will be a better partner for Chrysler and Dodge to get proper small and midsize cars since Fiat doesn't have **** in those categories.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PastorChevyGuy For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (05-27-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,393 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

If this goes through, I'm going to be unhappy on a personal level, but I understand the reasons why they would want a partnership. When this news got out the other day, it was painted as this being a full-on merger (like DaimlerChrysler or FCA). The merger is what I would not be happy with.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    If this goes through, I'm going to be unhappy on a personal level, but I understand the reasons why they would want a partnership. When this news got out the other day, it was painted as this being a full-on merger (like DaimlerChrysler or FCA). The merger is what I would not be happy with.
    Agree, don't think that Renault is the best match for FCA, then again they tend to do "Alliances" and let each company to continue on their own with limited "sharing". Of course who knows how this is going to work or even how it is structured, think Renault is better off out of the U.S. market and have FCA provide the cash flow from here.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,393 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Agree, don't think that Renault is the best match for FCA, then again they tend to do "Alliances" and let each company to continue on their own with limited "sharing". Of course who knows how this is going to work or even how it is structured, think Renault is better off out of the U.S. market and have FCA provide the cash flow from here.
    Well, that same Chrysler cash flow has been used for both DC & FCA to prop up their failing European brands. It has been full-fledged robbery, not partnerships. I would love to see somebody lead Chrysler away from partnerships & return them to an independent operating manufacturer.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (05-27-2019),SierraGS (05-27-2019)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information