FCA Abruptly Withdraws Massive Merger Proposal With Renault - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FCA Abruptly Withdraws Massive Merger Proposal With Renault

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Re: FCA Abruptly Withdraws Massive Merger Proposal With Renault

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    It would be in the best interest of the French Govt (longterm) to get this deal done. I see this as mutually beneficial between Renault and Fiatsler, as they are strong not only in different segments, but also markets - there is a lot of synergy there.
    And as I understand it Renault is much stronger in the EV area which FCA is lacking. Nissan has the leaf though and am surprised FCA has not leveraged that more.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

CJH (06-07-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Sounds like time for Renault to drop Nissan and replace it with FCA.

Well, on a first pass, no, unless a bunch of other criteria can be met without them and even then.......better have a good margin.

A key item with all this is........ Fuel Cells and all related.

It still isn't clear what game the puppet masters behind Nissan's recent moves are up to so there is that.....
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 06-06-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Nothing buy good news for the US based FCA employees. They would have been screwed over in this deal with the Italian and French governments making sure that no "syngeries" would hut them at home and instead would all fall on the far easier to fire US FCA employees.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to usa1 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (06-09-2019),SierraGS (06-08-2019),SVT74 (06-07-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    This won't bode well for FCA. Renault had the expertise in compact and midsize cars that FCA needs. FCA should go around Renault and go straight to Nissan.
    Disagree. Nissan has evaluated merging with FCA many times in the past and it concluded doesn't make sense for them. Further, if you think French gov't intervention has been bad at this point you have not opened your eyes to what can happen with the Japanese gov't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

I know what I would dangle out there...... including but not limited to....... a 'fresh reappraisal' of Peugeot / Citroen / Opel plus possibly 'xyz'.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMERICA 123 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-06-2019),Stéphane Dumas (06-06-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,770 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The United States should get involved to protect Americans
    Too late - that should have been done when Fiat bought Chrysler.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

CJH (06-07-2019),eklauss (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Too late - that should have been done when Fiat bought Chrysler.
    They didn't need to. If that deal didn't go through all of the U.S. jobs would've been lost. Further, as you may have noticed, the combined entity FCA didn't close any plants in the U.S.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-07-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,409 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    This won't bode well for FCA. Renault had the expertise in compact and midsize cars that FCA needs. FCA should go around Renault and go straight to Nissan.
    I disagree that the pullout will be bad for FCA, but I do agree that FCA should find a way to at least do some kind of partnership for EV platform(s) & tech. Nissan has much in the way of experience. A very, very small chance that one of the new independents could be a good partner (Rivian or others). Trying to partner for small car production would do nothing for FCA in North America. Plus, FCA brands (other than Jeep) won't get a push outside NA because of Fiat & Renault.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 06-06-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (06-08-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

All I can say is good. Nobody except for 7 people here in the States want or even know what Renault is.

As someone posted earlier Renault would just end up like Fiat (dead) and Chrysler/Ram/Jeep would end up with trash designs and financial hardships that Renault has saddled Nissan with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 814 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    All I can say is good. Nobody except for 7 people here in the States want or even know what Renault is.

As someone posted earlier Renault would just end up like Fiat (dead) and Chrysler/Ram/Jeep would end up with trash designs and financial hardships that Renault has saddled Nissan with.
    And if Renault hadn't invested in Nissan in the late 1990s, I wonder where Nissan would had been today?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

Ruperts Trooper (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    They didn't need to. If that deal didn't go through all of the U.S. jobs would've been lost. Further, as you may have noticed, the combined entity FCA didn't close any plants in the U.S.
    No, all US jobs wouldn't have been lost if Fiat didn't buy Chrysler--that was only Chrysler jobs. In fact, the US government should have gotten more involved in smarter ways when the rest of the world (beaten down by German/Japanese/Italian hegemony then Allied victory) finally caught up to the victorious "Western" countries from WWII.

We're still trying to figure that one out--to the detriment of the US.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The obvious partnership/merger here is Ford and FCA for countless reasons. That said, I think that there is zero chance of that happening mainly due to Ford, but still.....

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 3,817 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    The obvious partnership/merger here is Ford and FCA for countless reasons. That said, I think that there is zero chance of that happening mainly due to Ford, but still.....
    That would be insane on a good day.

First thing to FoMos would do is demand ChryCo dump the Challenger, Charger, and 300. Then the Ram because dumping Ram would put a turbocharger on eFF-one-fitty sales. Then all the petty fiefdomes, golf buddies, and insider cliques that Mulally spent years clearing out, and that have now returned in force, would infest Chrysler/Fiat and cause more dysfunction.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 814 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    That would be insane on a good day.

First thing to FoMos would do is demand ChryCo dump the Challenger, Charger, and 300. Then the Ram because dumping Ram would put a turbocharger on eFF-one-fitty sales. Then all the petty fiefdomes, golf buddies, and insider cliques that Mulally spent years clearing out, and that have now returned in force, would infest Chrysler/Fiat and cause more dysfunction.
    Ironically, Lee Iacocca once mentionned the idea of a Ford-Chrysler merger in his autobiography on page 275. https://books.google.ca/books?id=HnK...merger&f=false

And who know John Elkann might clear all the insider cliques? It would be a mistake for FoMo to ask Chrysler to dump the 300 and Charger who could be a spiritual successor to the "Panther" Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. The Challenger could be the 'Stang companion like the first Mercury Cougar was. Ram could be the upscale truck to go against GMC while Ford go against Chevrolet.

But it's doubful then the Ford board of directors read GMI.

Edit: I saw a French article who speculated then if FCA check with different eyes PSA? https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/aut.../10133958.html

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 3,817 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Ironically, Lee Iacocca once mentionned the idea of a Ford-Chrysler merger in his autobiography on page 275. https://books.google.ca/books?id=HnK...merger&f=false

And who know John Elkann might clear all the insider cliques? It would be a mistake for FoMo to ask Chrysler to dump the 300 and Charger who could be a spiritual successor to the "Panther" Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. The Challenger could be the 'Stang companion like the first Mercury Cougar was. Ram could be the upscale truck to go against GMC while Ford go against Chevrolet.

But it's doubful then the Ford board of directors read GMI.

Edit: I saw a French article who speculated then if FCA check with different eyes PSA? https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/aut.../10133958.html
    Funny, Hank the Deuce fired Lee and Sperlich because he didn't like them. Mustang, minivan, Grand Cherokee. Oh vell!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (06-08-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information