Emotional VW commercial shuts the door on Dieselgate, looks toward electric future

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Emotional VW commercial shuts the door on Dieselgate, looks toward electric future

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

Emotional VW commercial shuts the door on Dieselgate, looks toward electric future

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bongos2u For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-10-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I saw this last night. Too bad GM can't figure out how to do this with such success.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-10-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Emotional VW commercial shuts the door on Dieselgate, looks toward electric futur

Are we really this gullible as consumers?

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Emotional VW commercial shuts the door on Dieselgate, looks toward electric futur

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    I saw this last night. Too bad GM can't figure out how to do this with such success.
    My thoughts exactly. I thought it was a good ad, good music, good message. Numerous clever plays on words. Some savvy people put that together.

Not sure how many people will be confused more than satisfied about the "VW Scandal" clip at the beginning. How many people remember that or are aware it happened?

Unlike the real dopes, not actors, ooohhh!! ahhhhh!! hahahahaha!!! OMG!!!!! pitiful stuff. Sad.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    Are we really this gullible as consumers?
    Definition of Negative Nancy:

Negative Nancy
    noun
    a word used to describe someone who is a total downer to be around.

"quit being such a negative nancy. you're bringing me down."

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bongos2u View Post
    Definition of Negative Nancy:

Negative Nancy
    noun
    a word used to describe someone who is a total downer to be around.

"quit being such a negative nancy. you're bringing me down."
    Yes, because the people who run VW have had a total change of heart and really believe in a progressive, sustainable future with electric hummingbees. C’mon. This couldn’t say ‘if I support politically correct initiatives will you please like me again’ any more clearly if they actually just came out and said it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,237 Times in 3,719 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I've seen in several articles where GM's response to the ignition scandal is being held up as a gold standard to responding to such a crisis. While I like the above commercial, when I think about it I think it is a scumbag move, using their cheating and lying to sell cars via some emotional music. I'd say it would be a very bad move if GM used the ignition scandal to sell more cars, though VW's cheating is a little different, I don't think it should be used as a marketing tool either.

At best the could do an ad saying this is what we did and we are sorry. Leave it at that and don't put a marketing spin on it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-11-2019),SVT74 (06-10-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I've seen in several articles where GM's response to the ignition scandal is being held up as a gold standard to responding to such a crisis. While I like the above commercial, when I think about it I think it is a scumbag move, using their cheating and lying to sell cars via some emotional music.
    Exactly. And I say this as somebody who is a VW fan and a serious Porsche enthusiast. This is pure manipulation. ‘Let me tell you about how bad I was, how much I regret it, and how awesome I’m going to be now post reformation’.

The same cold, heartless families that ran the VW Group forty years ago run it now, all that changes is which descendant of Ferd is on top. They haven’t changed their opinion on anything and they aren’t going to. It’s why they are such a well run company typically speaking. It’s also why they aren’t really sorry.

This is a way forward beyond diesel now that the diesel balloon has been popped. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by SVT74; 06-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-10-2019),jzchev28 (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,645 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I like it, but no one designs with pencils at big corporations anymore.
    I got a cheap Cruze diesel out of the VW scam, so I'm not gonna complain about it.

I know where there are a whole bunch of cheap TDIs for sale if anyone wants one.
    Last edited by eaton53; 06-10-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I've seen in several articles where GM's response to the ignition scandal is being held up as a gold standard to responding to such a crisis. While I like the above commercial, when I think about it I think it is a scumbag move, using their cheating and lying to sell cars via some emotional music. I'd say it would be a very bad move if GM used the ignition scandal to sell more cars, though VW's cheating is a little different, I don't think it should be used as a marketing tool either. At best the could do an ad saying this is what we did and we are sorry. Leave it at that and don't put a marketing spin on it.
    All valid points. I just didn't see it that way. Guess I'll have to re watch it with a fresh perspective.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,237 Times in 3,719 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

All valid points. I just didn't see it that way. Guess I'll have to re watch it with a fresh perspective.
    No need to change your opinion because of mine! My opinion is no more right than yours....

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I like it, but no one designs with pencils at big corporations anymore.
    I got a cheap Cruze diesel out of the VW scam, so I'm not gonna complain about it.

I know where there are a whole bunch of cheap TDIs for sale if anyone wants one.
    I was quite fond of my '99 TDi Golf. Great MPGs, usually low to mid 40s. Felt much more powerful than it was. Two downsides: 2/24 B-B warranty, bad habit of a power system (locks, windows) going down about every six months. If I weren't so happy with my Soul, I'd take a look. Even though the 'dubs I drove a couple of years ago had the most boring, sterile interior/dashboard I'd seen in many moons.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,043 Times in 2,335 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

GM could never get away with this on its scandals because they've killed people directly. They would be skewered, rightfully so, if they did this.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-10-2019),tnmats (06-11-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,800 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

At least...maybe... he feels good about this ad, but it gives me the heebie jeebies or something like that and makes me cringe as well.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information