Is Datsun Name Being Revived for emerging markets?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Is Datsun Name Being Revived for emerging markets?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Is Datsun Name Being Revived for emerging markets?

This news is a few days old, but didn't see it anywhere on GMI and thought to post it.

Is Datsun Name Being Revived?
    Rumors suggest cast-off name could be used on new brand of Nissans for emerging markets.

by Paul A. Eisenstein on Jul.05, 2011

Is Nissan ready to revive the once-familiar Datsun nameplate?

That’s the word on the web, where various sources, including Japan’s Nikkei, and U.S. site TruthAboutCars.com, have been chattering about the possibility that the once-popular brand name will be brought back. But don’t expect to see it on your next Z-car, it seems. If the rumors prove accurate, the reborn Datsun will serve as a low-cost, entry-level brand in emerging markets like China or India.

The name dates back to 1931, when the old DAT Motorcar Co. first used Datson to designate its low-end products, since “son” referred to small in Japanese. When DAT was taken over by Nissan, in 1933, the name was maintained, albeit rewritten as Datsun, the more familiar spelling, since “son” also meant, “loss.”

With that spelling it became familiar as the export name for Japan’s second-largest automaker until 1982, when Nissan began phasing Datsun out and switching to its own badge. The move was controversial and challenging, many analysts suggesting that consumer confusion led to years of decline for Nissan, which until recently slipped to the #3 spot behind its rival Honda.

According to various reports from the 1980s, Nissan spent more than $200 million – a massive sum at the time – to advertise the name change in the U.S., which ultimately proved a three-year effort, yet even then, according to the book, “Managing Brand Equity,” by David Aaker, the name, Datsun, was still more familiar than that of Nissan five years after the changeover was completed.

Well-placed inside sources tell TheDetroitBureau.com that Nissan recently took steps to “protect” the Datsun name. ensuring it remained an active trademark still owned by the Japanese maker. The official word from the maker is that, “As a normal business practice to manage our brand-related activities, Nissan regularly applies for registration of trademarks in certain countries.”

That would make it easier for the Datsun badge to be brought back — but not in the U.S. or other major market, it appears. Apparently, Nissan is looking at the old brand in a manner similar to what DAT originally conceived.

MORE AT: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...being-revived/

Another article on this:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/127572/d...rging-markets/

Datsun to make a return in emerging markets
    By Brett Davis | July 6th, 2011

Remember the good old Datsuns of the 60s and 70s? The cars were cheap, offered reasonable levels of equipment and reliability and didn’t go too bad either… in their day. Now, word has it the brand could be about to make a return.

Under the wing of parent company Nissan, new Datsun models might be released into emerging markets in the coming years. The brand will apparently be set up to provide these markets with entry-level vehicles, with prices starting at around the $5000 mark.

The vehicles are likely to be sold in markets such as China and India, and other smaller markets such as those found in Latin America, parts of Africa and parts of Eastern Europe.

Details of the cars haven’t been confirmed yet as Nissan hasn’t officially announced the move, but the cars are expected to feature about the same level of equipment as the original classics.

Last edited by nadepalma; 07-19-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Is Datsun Name Being Revived for emerging markets?

Interesting news. While there certainly is going to be a huge expansion in emerging markets in the years ahead, I wonder if this will solely be a Nissan project or if Renault will be involved somehow?

By that I mean that the Renault-Nissan Alliance already has a "low cost/emerging markets" brand in the Dacia marque and R-N also have their joint cooperation at Renault-Samsung in Korea (which isn't low-cost, but certainly uses recycled R-N parts).

Does it make sense to add an additional brand to the mix rather than just make wider use of Dacia? Or will Datsun be used in markets that have a "fond memories" for the brand in Asia, while Dacia will stick to central and eastern Europe?
    Last edited by nadepalma; 07-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 959 Posts

I guess Datsun have more recognition in South American then Dacia, that's for sure. Also in South Africa where the former Nissan Bakkie was a derivate of the old Datsun 120 sedan.

On the other hand, if Datsun is back from the dead, I guess Dacia might soon join Simca, Panhard, Delahaye, Hotchkiss, Facel, Hillman, Hunter, Austin, Morris, Pontiac, Olds, Plymouth, DeSoto, Hudson, Nash, AMC, Packard, Studebaker....

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Fact: Nissan brought over its cars to the USA originally under the Datsun name in attempt to avoid name recognizition by American service men after WW2. Nissan was heavily involved in producing goods for the Japanese war machine.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

IMHO if they were still using Datsun name in US, then they would be outselling toyota. Datsun was very strong and competitive in the 70s and then after the name change, they were in a funk for about 10 years while toyota experienced sustained growth.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,494 Times in 4,143 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    Fact: Nissan brought over its cars to the USA originally under the Datsun name in attempt to avoid name recognizition by American service men after WW2. Nissan was heavily involved in producing goods for the Japanese war machine.
    I have seen the enemy

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

I've patiently waited for Nissan to re-launch the beloved Datsun brand. In South Africa, the name change was happening just around the time we departed the country and there was enormous negative feedback to the "Nissan" name, with us kids calling them a "Pissin' Nissan" (the two rhyme in South African English). Nissan sales slumped after the change, and the company has never since been able to capture the market share it had in the heady days of the ugly 140Y and popular 180U SSS.

To me, "Nissan" sounded like either a made up name, like those cars in the film Gung Ho, or the name of a heavy truck maker. In hindsight, though, "Datsun" didn't seem to suit the bigger, more luxurious models, and in the early 80s, it just wasn't done to have two names.

"Dacia" looks lovely on paper, but the confusion sets in when it comes to pronounciation. In Romanian, it's "dotcha", and even in English there will be a shift, with North American dialects saying "Daysha" and British leaning to "Dassy-uh" or "Day-see-uh"

"Datsun" is universal, and obviates all this nonsense.

Nissan and Infiniti should remain as-is.

Samsung needs a new name and take the place of Renault in markets where the Renault name is unknown, like China, or has a bad reputation, like North America, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia.

Dacia, where they're not already Renaults, should become "Datsuns" for markets where the brand conjures a positive image, such as South America, North America, and South Africa.

Just my two cents' worth...

Banned
    Thanks

It amazes me the stupidity that big corporations have on brand recognition. Datsun was known as Datsun for 25 years in the US then all of a sudden had a name change. Changing names is confusing enough, but it's even more confusing on cars since the owners of Datsun cars are now pretty much orphaned and Nissan sales suffer.

Screwing with an established brand is always a bad thing, but that doesn't stop companies from making the same mistake over and over. Just look at United Airlines now...gross.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

This is crazy funny. I remember those ads from '84-'85 loudly proclaiming "The name is Nissan", usually with the then new Z-car proudly out in front. I heard in messed things up for them, but I didn't know it was that bad and lasted for so long.

Now after all that, they want to bring it back. The auto industry can be pure comedy sometimes.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

Nissan was heavily involved in producing goods for the Japanese war machine.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    According to various reports from the 1980s, Nissan spent more than $200 million – a massive sum at the time – to advertise the name change in the U.S., which ultimately proved a three-year effort, yet even then, according to the book, “Managing Brand Equity,” by David Aaker, the name, Datsun, was still more familiar than that of Nissan five years after the changeover was completed.
    I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but the Nissan introduction campaign was enormous.

At the time Datsun was the #1 import brand, and arguably one reason Toyota took the lead is because Nissan lost a ton of brand equity. Canceling the Z-car didn't help either.

(Notice in the ad they are promising an electric car.)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information