Competition Goes Yellow too: Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Goes Yellow too: Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 importedtuna's Avatar
    Thanks

Competition Goes Yellow too: Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008

10 bucks says Toyota comes out smelling like a rose by advertising CARs running on Ethanol, not massive SUVs.

Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008: FT
    Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:48 PM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. plans to sell ethanol-powered vehicles in the United States by 2008, following the lead of domestics General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. , the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing an unnamed company executive.

A Toyota spokeswoman in Tokyo acknowledged that Japan's top auto maker was developing flexible-fuel vehicles, mainly for the ethanol-smitten Brazilian market for starters, but declined to disclose specific product plans.

"We're proceeding with development of ethanol-based cars for Brazil, but for other markets we are gauging what needs there are first," she said.

Toyota, a market leader in gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles, has resisted the technology amid worries about the impact of highly corrosive ethanol on rubber seals in the engine, the Financial Times said.

U.S. auto makers have produced about 6 million flexible-fuel vehicles, with many running on E85, or a fuel blend consisting of 85 percent ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, and 15 percent gasoline.

Toyota's new vehicle would be fitted with anti-corrosive parts to meet U.S. regulations, but the auto maker suggested that a less ambitious strategy of mixing only 10-15 percent ethanol into gasoline might produce greater savings, the paper said.

Toyota is still keen to spread the use of hybrid vehicles, which save fuel by twinning a conventional engine with an electric motor, the spokeswoman said.

President Bush has called for more ethanol use to reduce foreign oil imports, but fewer than 1,000 of the nation's 170,000 filling stations currently sell E85.

Bush has set a six-year goal for making ethanol practical and competitive as an alternative fuel, and vowed to fund additional research into ways to make it not just from the commonly used corn but also from wood chips or grasses.

http://today.reuters.com/business/ne...ETHANOL-DC.XML
    The only people who "don't worry" about Gas Prices are people addicted to jacked up 4x4 trucks & SUVs like a smoker who can't control the price of cigarettes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 importedtuna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Competition Goes Yellow too: Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008

What scares me is Toyota selling its next-gen Prius running on E-85 flex fuel. Then they have GM beat on fuel economy AND renewable fuel. Meanwhile GM is busy trying to link its Tahoes with E-85 in the public's mind.
    The only people who "don't worry" about Gas Prices are people addicted to jacked up 4x4 trucks & SUVs like a smoker who can't control the price of cigarettes.

Thanks

Re: Competition Goes Yellow too: Toyota plans to sell ethanol cars in US by 2008

I think this will help get E85 the media attention it deserves!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    How about that...now all of the "import friends/e85 critics", will have to find another reason to put down the domestics...
    This should be good. I think I'll pop some popcorn.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, did you expect anything else from Toyota? They didn't get where they are by resting on their laurels. I'm not really surprised.

importedtuna - I believe Ford has already announced they will be selling an E85 compatible hybrid.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

So it sounds like Toyota will have different lines of cars for gas, hybrid, and E85 cars.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type
    I believe Ford has already announced they will be selling an E85 compatible hybrid.
    You are right.

The Ford Escape E85 gas-electric hybrid, displayed at the Chicago show with Kermit the Frog. He's green. Get it? (Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109914#7

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

Very adaptable of Toyota. It can both lead (hybrid) and follow (E85). I wonder how long Toyota has had E85 technology in development, though?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 White

hmmm GM ahead of the Times. Toyota openly copying GM. How sweet

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cfch3399's Avatar
    Thanks

For once, the domestics showed some leadership instead of being years behind others. Now if GM could make deals with sugar cane producers, if there are any left, we might actually have a cheap source of ethanol instead of complex and expensive corn-based.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 eaton53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,505 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I don't see where it confirms Toyota will sell flex fuel vehicles here.

Here's the statement:
    "We're proceeding with development of ethanol-based cars for Brazil, but for other markets we are gauging what needs there are first," she said.

This is no different than the domestic makers "gauging the market" for hybrids before jumping in.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Keep in mind that in Toyota's strongest markets (West Coast, New England, and the South), there are almost no E85 pumps available. Also, in Japan, such a thing doesn't exist. Brazil is basically forcing everybody to make E100 flexfuel cars there, so they are forced to work there.

If they do sell them here, and are doing it for actual competative reasons (as opposed to PR reasons), then this could be a sign they plan on competing harder in areas where the domestics currently have more sway (IE the midwest).

Walking
    Thanks

Is this Toyota "Engineering by Press Release"?

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Wow...GM already has over a million E85 capable cars on the road, but yet Toyota plans to introduce them in 2008. GM would be lambasted if the situation was turned around, and Toyota would be praised for being ''socially responsible''. I hate the media...

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

now watch toyota say they invented E85
    All in the family:
    -09 Malibu LT (Mine) Hidden Content
    -08 G6 GT (sis's)
    -08 Sierra Z71 (dad's)
    -08 GP GXP(mom's)

"I'll tell you what's going on with our beer. They've sold it to the Japanese, who will change the formula and repackage it in square bottles that will only fit cupholders in Japanese cars." - King of the Hill

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information