Chrysler Voyager: A Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Voyager: A Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 900 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Chrysler Voyager: A Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan

The 2020 Chrysler Voyager Is a Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan
    The Voyager name is back, and there's even a throwback LXi trim level.
    By JOEY CAPPARELLA
    JUN 27, 2019
    Road & Track

• Chrysler is applying the Voyager name to the Pacifica minivan's less-expensive trim levels for 2020.
    • This brings back a nameplate that used to be applied to Plymouth's version of minivan back in the day.
    • Production of the 2020 Chrysler Voyager begins in August, and it should cost a bit less than the Pacifica's current starting price of $28,730.

Chrysler has renamed the cheaper versions of its Pacifica minivan, and the new name is a familiar one: Voyager. Essentially a rebadged version of the previous Pacifica's L and LX trim levels, the new budget-oriented 2020 Chrysler Voyager is otherwise mechanically identical to the Pacifica we know and love, with the same 287-hp 3.6-liter V-6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission. The Pacifica itself should continue on unchanged, although it will now only include higher-priced trim levels with more equipment.

The Voyager's base L trim level is fairly sparsely equipped with manual climate control, cloth seats, and a second-row bench seat that makes for seven-passenger capacity. The Voyager LX adds a fair bit of equipment including second-row captain's chairs, a power driver's seat, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, and SiriusXM satellite radio. There's also a fleet-only LXi trim meant for rental duty that has leatherette seats, second-row Stow 'n Go seats, a roof rack, and remote start.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 900 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Chrysler Voyager: A Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan

Quote Originally Posted by Road & Track
    Other than its badge, there's nothing to distinguish the Voyager visually. We wonder if this new strategy with the Chrysler van might be FCA's way of beginning to phase out the ancient Dodge Grand Caravan, which has served as the company's low-priced minivan offering for the past few years.
    This is all bit shortsighted. Aside from the questionable strategy in reviving an old name on a lower-rung version of an established product, you have to scratch your head if said product is visually identical to its plusher, more expensive brethren. What sense does that make?

As near-identical as the old Chrysler minivan triplets were, at least they had different grilles a few visual cues to differentiate them.

The old Caravan is a money maker for FCA and it's obvious that there are lots of folks out there who want an affordable minivan/family-hauler, but don't want to shell out big money for the Pacifica. If Dodge is dumping the Caravan to refocus the brand on muscle cars and sporty vehicles, it would have been far smarter to keep the Caravan in production as the Chrysler Voyager, with a revised front and rear end to match Chrysler's current design language. The tooling and engineering on the old minivans is well past paid-off, so they would have recouped their investment in a mild nip/tuck for the product very quickly. Ultimately, that would've made a lot more sense to me, and would have arguably been more "plausible" in the eyes of consumers than just slapping a different name on an entry-level Pacifica.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 07-09-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-10-2019),1999 White C5 Coupe (07-10-2019),buildacariwant (07-10-2019),Neanderthal (07-09-2019),richmond2000 (07-10-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I know the Caravan and the JK Wrangler NEVER got upgraded to the "powernet" electronics platform and still uses the DCx "starscan" system and the JL Wrangler is using the NEW Powernet leaving the Caravan the ONLY one using the OLD system and TOOLING / diagnostic systems
    soo the caravan would NEED a retooling anyways

I wonder if a RAM version of the Pacifica could be done in both PAX and cargo versions as it would slot between the Promaster city mini cargo van and the promaster Large van I know the midsized Mercedes van is selling well around here

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    This is all bit shortsighted. Aside from the questionable strategy in reviving an old name on a lower-rung version of an established product, you have to scratch your head if said product is visually identical to its plusher, more expensive brethren. What sense does that make?

As near-identical as the old Chrysler minivan triplets were, at least they had different grilles a few visual cues to differentiate them.

The old Caravan is a money maker for FCA and it's obvious that there are lots of folks out there who want an affordable minivan/family-hauler, but don't want to shell out big money for the Pacifica. If Dodge is dumping the Caravan to refocus the brand on muscle cars and sporty vehicles, it would have been far smarter to keep the Caravan in production as the Chrysler Voyager, with a revised front and rear end to match Chrysler's current design language. The tooling and engineering on the old minivans is well past paid-off, so they would have recouped their investment in a mild nip/tuck for the product very quickly. Ultimately, that would've made a lot more sense to me, and would have arguably been more "plausible" in the eyes of consumers than just slapping a different name on an entry-level Pacifica.
    Thereís a big elephant in the room, and thatís safety. This was always the problem with the Caravan and it now canít be ignored. Meeting safety standards with this old of a vehicle is going to require investment that doesnít make sense.

As for styling, the Pacifica will be getting its mid cycle facelift soon that will bring some differentiation.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (07-10-2019),Chassis Guy (07-10-2019),DequindreToo (07-10-2019)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I know the Caravan and the JK Wrangler NEVER got upgraded to the "powernet" electronics platform and still uses the DCx "starscan" system and the JL Wrangler is using the NEW Powernet leaving the Caravan the ONLY one using the OLD system and TOOLING / diagnostic systems
    soo the caravan would NEED a retooling anyways

I wonder if a RAM version of the Pacifica could be done in both PAX and cargo versions as it would slot between the Promaster city mini cargo van and the promaster Large van I know the midsized Mercedes van is selling well around here
    Didn't they try that with the Ram Van as a stop gap until the ProMaster City came out?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

I think this is also just a way for Chrysler to say hey we have more than 2 models we have 3 now!
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    I think this is also just a way for Chrysler to say hey we have more than 2 models we have 3 now!
    Just shoot Chrysler and put it out of it's misery. It's an embarrassment today. Loved Chrysler's in the 60's.

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

I said this on other forums when the news came out a few weeks ago:

Yeah, I don't understand this move at all.

It'd have made more sense if they debuted this as a "new" Grand Caravan that was just a rebadged low-end Pacifica (what we see here with Voyager). They could then call the existing one just "Caravan" if they really wanted to keep it as an even lower cost mostly fleet option.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

After reading the Motor Trend long term review of their Pacifica, I'd never buy one. Theirs spent weeks in the shop - weeks - and it was a new car picked by the manufacturer to be tested by a major auto mag. Other owners reported the same issue with their Pacificas (it wouldn't start).

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by StormHunter77 View Post
    After reading the Motor Trend long term review of their Pacifica, I'd never buy one. Theirs spent weeks in the shop - weeks - and it was a new car picked by the manufacturer to be tested by a major auto mag. Other owners reported the same issue with their Pacificas (it wouldn't start).
    Don't know if I would agree with that. Pacifica is one of the best minivans on the market behind Honda's. Actually those two could be tied.
    RedSkyBlackDreamô

Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,669 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

My brother rented a loaded Pacifica and I rode in it last week. It was quite fancy for a van.
    I wouldn't want it, it was way too nice. Vans are supposed to do van stuff, which means kids and dogs trashing it.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Don't know if I would agree with that. Pacifica is one of the best minivans on the market behind Honda's. Actually those two could be tied.
    The Pacifica has won over the Odyssey in comparison tests and currently has a better reliability record in Consumer Reports.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    The Pacifica has won over the Odyssey in comparison tests and currently has a better reliability record in Consumer Reports.
    Impossible..this is FCA we're talking about.

You know the old saying "What Chevy and Ford refuses FCA picks up off the floor and uses."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post

I guess you forgot how Biscayne and Bel Air were lower priced versions of the Impala and Caprice.
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

Thanks

Chrysler used to use the Voyager name on minivans exported from the US since Dodge and Plymouth brands did not exist in overseas markets.
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-11-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information