GM Inside News Forum banner

Chrysler Voyager: A Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Chassis Guy 
#1 ·
The 2020 Chrysler Voyager Is a Budget Version of the Pacifica Minivan
The Voyager name is back, and there's even a throwback LXi trim level.
By JOEY CAPPARELLA
JUN 27, 2019
Road & Track

• Chrysler is applying the Voyager name to the Pacifica minivan's less-expensive trim levels for 2020.
  • This brings back a nameplate that used to be applied to Plymouth's version of minivan back in the day.
  • Production of the 2020 Chrysler Voyager begins in August, and it should cost a bit less than the Pacifica's current starting price of $28,730.
Chrysler has renamed the cheaper versions of its Pacifica minivan, and the new name is a familiar one: Voyager. Essentially a rebadged version of the previous Pacifica's L and LX trim levels, the new budget-oriented 2020 Chrysler Voyager is otherwise mechanically identical to the Pacifica we know and love, with the same 287-hp 3.6-liter V-6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission. The Pacifica itself should continue on unchanged, although it will now only include higher-priced trim levels with more equipment.

The Voyager's base L trim level is fairly sparsely equipped with manual climate control, cloth seats, and a second-row bench seat that makes for seven-passenger capacity. The Voyager LX adds a fair bit of equipment including second-row captain's chairs, a power driver's seat, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, and SiriusXM satellite radio. There's also a fleet-only LXi trim meant for rental duty that has leatherette seats, second-row Stow 'n Go seats, a roof rack, and remote start.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Road & Track said:
Other than its badge, there's nothing to distinguish the Voyager visually. We wonder if this new strategy with the Chrysler van might be FCA's way of beginning to phase out the ancient Dodge Grand Caravan, which has served as the company's low-priced minivan offering for the past few years.
This is all bit shortsighted. Aside from the questionable strategy in reviving an old name on a lower-rung version of an established product, you have to scratch your head if said product is visually identical to its plusher, more expensive brethren. What sense does that make?

As near-identical as the old Chrysler minivan triplets were, at least they had different grilles a few visual cues to differentiate them.

The old Caravan is a money maker for FCA and it's obvious that there are lots of folks out there who want an affordable minivan/family-hauler, but don't want to shell out big money for the Pacifica. If Dodge is dumping the Caravan to refocus the brand on muscle cars and sporty vehicles, it would have been far smarter to keep the Caravan in production as the Chrysler Voyager, with a revised front and rear end to match Chrysler's current design language. The tooling and engineering on the old minivans is well past paid-off, so they would have recouped their investment in a mild nip/tuck for the product very quickly. Ultimately, that would've made a lot more sense to me, and would have arguably been more "plausible" in the eyes of consumers than just slapping a different name on an entry-level Pacifica.

#4 ·
There’s a big elephant in the room, and that’s safety. This was always the problem with the Caravan and it now can’t be ignored. Meeting safety standards with this old of a vehicle is going to require investment that doesn’t make sense.

As for styling, the Pacifica will be getting its mid cycle facelift soon that will bring some differentiation.

#3 ·
I know the Caravan and the JK Wrangler NEVER got upgraded to the "powernet" electronics platform and still uses the DCx "starscan" system and the JL Wrangler is using the NEW Powernet leaving the Caravan the ONLY one using the OLD system and TOOLING / diagnostic systems
soo the caravan would NEED a retooling anyways

I wonder if a RAM version of the Pacifica could be done in both PAX and cargo versions as it would slot between the Promaster city mini cargo van and the promaster Large van I know the midsized Mercedes van is selling well around here

#6 ·
I think this is also just a way for Chrysler to say hey we have more than 2 models we have 3 now!

#8 ·
I said this on other forums when the news came out a few weeks ago:

Yeah, I don't understand this move at all.

It'd have made more sense if they debuted this as a "new" Grand Caravan that was just a rebadged low-end Pacifica (what we see here with Voyager). They could then call the existing one just "Caravan" if they really wanted to keep it as an even lower cost mostly fleet option.

#9 ·
After reading the Motor Trend long term review of their Pacifica, I'd never buy one. Theirs spent weeks in the shop - weeks - and it was a new car picked by the manufacturer to be tested by a major auto mag. Other owners reported the same issue with their Pacificas (it wouldn't start).

#11 ·
My brother rented a loaded Pacifica and I rode in it last week. It was quite fancy for a van.
I wouldn't want it, it was way too nice. Vans are supposed to do van stuff, which means kids and dogs trashing it.

#18 ·
I saw this else where and at that time thought it mighty strange but maybe they have plans with other products that will allow this to work for them(ie. killing the Caravan considering how long in the tooth it is). Getting rid of all that is Dodge other than some cars too it seems.

#20 ·
They will "look the same" but you can bet they will look cheaper...............

A way to get significant fleet duty/use out of the Pacifica without damaging the pricing structure of the Pacifica.

How many models Chrysler has isn't all that important, with all the brands being sold under one-roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.