GM Inside News Forum banner

Bronco Sport: Smaller, more affordable, but still a Bronco

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  1958carnut 
#1 ·
2021 Ford Bronco Sport: Details, Pricing, Specs, And Pictures
Smaller, more affordable, but still a Bronco.
Brandon Turkus
JUL 13, 2020
motor1.com

The 2021 Ford Bronco is taking aim straight at the Jeep Wrangler, but the Blue Oval isn’t satisfied targeting its rival’s most popular product. With the 2021 Bronco Sport, Ford is going after Jeep’s mainstream models too, offering customers a smaller, more affordable Bronco experience while retaining the look and style of the full-size model.

Designed to battle the Jeep Compass and Cherokee, two vehicles that accounted for over a third of the 925,000 Jeeps sold in 2019, the new Ford Bronco Sport scales down the Bronco character, attaching it to a heavily modified version of the modular front-drive architecture found in the Escape and the Europe-only Focus hatchback. But don’t deride the Bronco Sport as a butched-up CUV that’s all shirt and no trousers – Ford has gone to great lengths to distinguish the smallest Bronco from its line of soft-roaders.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm not 100% sold on how the larger Bronco's styling is grafted onto the Escape's FWD-based platform, but I have to say Ford did a great job of making it look like it's own, stand alone product. While a few of the interior bits are carried over from the new Escape (which isn't a bad starting point), the rest looks like a unique vehicle.

Looking at the silhouette and stance, I get a definite Freelander/LR2 feel. And considering the goal of this product, perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Just as in anything, however, one has to wonder how FoMoCo can pull this off -- and still justify the cost/investment -- while other companies can't (or make excuses as to why they can't do it) deliver on taking related products and making them singular stand out.

#3 ·
I don't think the styling works with this platform and size nearly as well but the upright sides and rear probably really help the interior space. I have been in a few larger SUV's that are very swoopy, especially in the rear and it kills the interior room. It looks like a cheap knockoff of the others. Maybe because I like the others a bunch, especially the two door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.