BMW Trimming Lineup To Meet Demands Of EV And Autonomous Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW Trimming Lineup To Meet Demands Of EV And Autonomous Cars

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 3,901 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki.../#6d6225bc4d63

July 30, 2019
    David Kiley

Look up the array of cars and SUVs BMW is selling these days, and it will blow your mind if you are a BMW fan who has driven the same ride for the last 20 years and want to re-up.

It used to be the 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, the X5, a Z sports car, M Cars, and each had a handful of engine and body style derivatives. Today, the models are like balls in a McDonald's ball-play room. The 2 Series, 4 Series, 6 Series, 8 Series, X1, x3, X6, X7, M cars, the i-Electrics, special edition models. It is complexity on wheels, and a bunch of these models just don't sell.

BMW, though, is replacing its Chairman of the Board of Management Harald Krueger with Oliver Zipse, and when he sits in the chair come the middle of August, he'll have the hedge trimmers out. According to Automobile Magazine, management is canceling the convertible version of the 2 Series, the standard-wheelbase 7 Series, the X2, the coupe and convertible variants of the 8 Series, and the next-generation Z4. That's a start.

BMW is becoming more of a true sport-utility brand. BMW has reportedly, according to Automobile, an SUV X8 that will have a plug-in EV option with up to 60 miles of electric range. An X8 M is also in the pipeline, which of course would come with a serious performance package.

More at link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: BMW Trimming Lineup To Meet Demands Of EV And Autonomous Cars

Still, BMW knows that EVs are growing, in China, Europe and the U.S. Thus, the company has set a goal of having 25 electrified models in 2023–two years ahead of its previous schedule.
    Funny, they are talking about trimming their lineup but at the same time having 25 electrified models.

This is part of why electrics will be a big part of the future. BMW = desirable, the more luxury brands that go full out into electrics will quickly help cement their acceptance in the marketplace.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Funny, they are talking about trimming their lineup but at the same time having 25 electrified models.

This is part of why electrics will be a big part of the future. BMW = desirable, the more luxury brands that go full out into electrics will quickly help cement their acceptance in the marketplace.
    IMO the key there is "electrified" not "electric". I hope GM hasn't tossed their mild-hybrid and Voltec in the trashcan, they're going to need it to compete with mild hybrids, PHEVs, regular hybrids, and yes EVs from other manufacturers.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

emh (08-11-2019),gkr778 (07-31-2019),richmond2000 (08-01-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

I can understand some of them, but the X2? It's brand new and supposedly selling well, why would they drop it when it just came out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 670 Posts

There was a time when BMW was only the 2002 and Bavaria 3.0 CS

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

megeebee (08-01-2019),richmond2000 (08-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I really don't give a rats a$$ as to what electrical crap they build or try to sell me, GM or BMW, or whatever, I couldn't care less.
    And I really dont care for their ecocrap, turbo engines either. As long as I can afford it, I will drive my V6 or V8 NA till they manage to charge them batteries in 10 min or less for a full charge - another 400+ miles. My 32gal tank takes me over 600 miles on the highway.
    The rich want to get on with the new fad, "green" crap ? Go right ahead. Same company that wants to build the 23 green BMWs also has an M version for each of them. Hypocrisy at its best.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

chevelle454 (08-04-2019),Neanderthal (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    I really don't give a rats a$$ as to what electrical crap they build or try to sell me, GM or BMW, or whatever, I couldn't care less.
    And I really dont care for their ecocrap, turbo engines either. As long as I can afford it, I will drive my V6 or V8 NA till they manage to charge them batteries in 10 min or less for a full charge - another 400+ miles. My 32gal tank takes me over 600 miles on the highway.
    The rich want to get on with the new fad, "green" crap ? Go right ahead. Same company that wants to build the 23 green BMWs also has an M version for each of them. Hypocrisy at its best.
    From what I'm hearing the higher hp electric cars are a lot of fun to drive, nothing wrong with that! The people I've talked to, who bought Tesla's, did it for the driving experience, not any green crap.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Another automaker who has yet to understand that even the worlds greatest purveyor of autonomy, and electrification has struggled to sustain profitability.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to germeezy1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-31-2019),Neanderthal (07-31-2019),Rumpole (08-07-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 4,029 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Another automaker who has yet to understand that even the worlds greatest purveyor of autonomy, and electrification has struggled to sustain profitability.
    And who don't understand the world of energy and reality.
    https://economics21.org/inconvenient...energy-economy
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (07-31-2019),gkr778 (07-31-2019),Rumpole (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Aren't the Germans getting rid of their nuclear power plants?

The 3.0 CS coupe was gorgeous. There was a '72? (pre-bumper) down the road from me in HS. Wasn't the Bavaria the 4 door that came later?

09W
    Thanks

A top-tier BMW X8 plug-in with up to a mere 60 miles of range, in the year 2021 (or later)???

And some folk still believe an onslaught of EVs is inevitable and soon.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 09W For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (08-01-2019),Greg Burr (07-31-2019),joey (08-01-2019),Neanderthal (07-31-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,609 Times in 3,209 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Does the fact that BMW is practically in the red have to do with the cuts?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

J
    Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    A top-tier BMW X8 plug-in with up to a mere 60 miles of range, in the year 2021 (or later)???

And some folk still believe an onslaught of EVs is inevitable and soon.
    It’s what GM should have done with the Volt. GM was all ready at 53 miles on the 18 kw battery they had. A traverse size SUV with a 20 kw battery, 60 miles of range on the Voltek tech. And I’m in. And it could have been done for under 45k. It does not cost any more to build a suv than a car, it’s all the same basic parts, just a different configuration. The only reason a SUV cost more is because they can charge more and people are willing to pay it. I would buy it tomorrow.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TORRED1 For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (08-01-2019),Neanderthal (07-31-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 4,029 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    Aren't the Germans getting rid of their nuclear power plants?

The 3.0 CS coupe was gorgeous. There was a '72? (pre-bumper) down the road from me in HS. Wasn't the Bavaria the 4 door that came later?
    Not that anyone of certain persuasions is likely to take a hint, but that New True Green World Order that was just around the corner once windmills (had killed all the eagles, hawks, sea gulls, bats, and just about every other flying object) and solar panels (which took care of the rest by baking them mid-flight) really kicked in, has yet to happen. Call us blessed.

Funny the animal supporters are VERY silent about these green things that turn blood red with the blood of innocent critters who're just out trying to make a living in a harsh and unforgiving world.

As they like to say at GM, just you wait! Speaking of waiting:

April 21, 2018

In the May 2000 issue of Reason Magazine, award-winning science correspondent Ronald Bailey wrote an excellent article titled “Earth Day, Then and Now” to provide some historical perspective on the 30th anniversary of Earth Day. In that article, Bailey noted that around the time of the first Earth Day in 1970, and in the years following, there was a “torrent of apocalyptic predictions” and many of those predictions were featured in his Reason article. Well, it’s now the 48th anniversary of Earth Day, and a good time to ask the question again that Bailey asked 18 years ago: How accurate were the predictions made around the time of the first Earth Day in 1970? The answer: “The prophets of doom were not simply wrong, but spectacularly wrong,” according to Bailey. Here are 18 examples of the spectacularly wrong predictions made around 1970 when the “green holy day” (aka Earth Day) started:

1. Harvard biologist George Wald estimated that “civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”

2. “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation,” wrote Washington University biologist Barry Commoner in the Earth Day issue of the scholarly journal Environment.

3. The day after the first Earth Day, the New York Times editorial page warned, “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”

4. “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”

5. “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” wrote Paul Ehrlich in a 1969 essay titled “Eco-Catastrophe! “By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”

6. Ehrlich sketched out his most alarmist scenario for the 1970 Earth Day issue of The Progressive, assuring readers that between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the “Great Die-Off.”

7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.

8. Peter Gunter, a North Texas State University professor, wrote in 1970, “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”

9. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”

10. Ecologist Kenneth Watt told Time that, “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”

11. Barry Commoner predicted that decaying organic pollutants would use up all of the oxygen in America’s rivers, causing freshwater fish to suffocate.

12. Paul Ehrlich chimed in, predicting in 1970 that “air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” Ehrlich sketched a scenario in which 200,000 Americans would die in 1973 during “smog disasters” in New York and Los Angeles.

13. Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out. (Note: According to the most recent CDC report, life expectancy in the US is 78.8 years).

14. Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'”

15. Harrison Brown, a scientist at the National Academy of Sciences, published a chart in Scientific American that looked at metal reserves and estimated the humanity would totally run out of copper shortly after 2000. Lead, zinc, tin, gold, and silver would be gone before 1990.

16. Sen. Gaylord Nelson wrote in Look that, “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”

17. In 1975, Paul Ehrlich predicted that “since more than nine-tenths of the original tropical rainforests will be removed in most areas within the next 30 years or so, it is expected that half of the organisms in these areas will vanish with it.”

18. Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

http://www.aei.org/publication/18-sp...e-this-year-2/

Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-31-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

09W (08-01-2019),Extreme4x4 (08-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,086 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Does the fact that BMW is practically in the red have to do with the cuts?
    Yup. In March, BMW AG announced lower than expected earnings for 2019 and in direct response ramped up its plans to not only cut vehicle models, but also freeze hiring of new workers and reduce product development times.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information