America’s 2022 Hyundai Tucson Brings Radical Styling And Hybrid Powertrains

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America’s 2022 Hyundai Tucson Brings Radical Styling And Hybrid Powertrains

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 667 Posts

Carscoops
    BY MICHAEL KARKAFIRIS
    NOVEMBER 9, 2020

Hyundai has revealed the all-new 2022 Tucson for the U.S. market, following the model’s worldwide debut back in September.

The 2022 Hyundai Tucson will launch in the U.S. market with a range of more fuel-efficient gasoline, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid powertrains. The first examples of the new Tucson will launch in the market with gasoline and hybrid engines in spring 2021, with the plug-in hybrid models to follow in summer 2021.
    The exterior styling of the new Tucson is perhaps the most radical departure for Hyundai’s global best-seller. The carmaker’s evolving Sensuous Sportiness design language has given the new SUV a much more distinctive presence on the road.

Hyundai’s integration of design and technology is apparent on the new Tucson’s front end, where we find half-mirror-type DRLs seamlessly blended with the front grille, making them visible only when illuminated.

Compared to the outgoing model, the new Tucson is bigger in every dimension, giving it a more spacious and comfortable cabin. The wheelbase now measures 108.5 inches, 3.4 inches longer than before, while cargo volume is now rated at 38.7 cubic feet, an increase of 7.7 cubic feet.

The engine range of the new 2022 Hyundai Tucson kicks off with a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter Smartstream unit, which produces 187 HP and 178 lb-ft of torque. Combined with a standard eight-speed automatic transmission, Hyundai estimates that it’s more fuel-efficient than the previous 2.4-liter model, returning 28 mpg combined. The company will also offer the option of its HTRAC AWD system with this engine.

The hybrid variant of the new Hyundai Tucson combines a 177 HP 1.6-liter turbocharged engine with a 59 HP electric motor and a 1.49kWh battery pack, for a system output of 226 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid powertrain works through a specially tuned six-speed automatic transmission. Hyundai says that the hybrid Tucson will offer 30 percent better fuel efficiency and 20 percent more torque than the standard engine, as well as a driving range of over 500 miles.

Last but not least, we get the plug-in hybrid variant of the new Hyundai Tucson. The carmaker didn’t reveal just yet any output figures but we do know that it also uses a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine at its heart and features a bigger 13.8 kWh battery pack. The estimated EV range is 28 miles while the estimated fuel economy is over 70 MPGe. Hyundai says that it’ll take less than two hours to recharge the battery, using the onboard 7.2kW charger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 906 Posts

Re: America’s 2022 Hyundai Tucson Brings Radical Styling And Hybrid Powertrains

The front end is a little garish,but other than that I like what I see of the exterior.

The interior looks fine to me for a vehicle in this class. I will say that the steering wheel is not sexy nor the gauges,but what do I know I daily a 94 Trans Am and a Saabaru 92X.

As far as the engine goes....187hp seems kind of light,but again seem kind of standard to me soooo...ok

Now the N-Line variant of this that is on the way...that has piqued my interest and it shouldn't,but it does...I just wish GM had my attention like Hyundai does these days......*sigh*

Thanks
    Thanked 4,281 Times in 2,767 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I saw this over there yesterday. The interior looks nice but the outside and the side detailing, along with the front end are a little much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Even though it isn't a tablet, the entire radio/HVAC area could easily have been one and it will have looked nicely integrated. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go with the tablet. Or am I wrong and it is a tablet? The upper portion with the radio is a touchscreen, but the lower, HVAC, half appears to not be a tablet.

I like the back end, the front, as per current Hyundai designs, appears to be "overly distinctive", meaning I'm not a fan but I give them points for not blending in. Sides seem a bit much also.

I don't understand their N-Line, it's just an appearance package right? Didn't sound like actual performance. Or did I miss something?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,580 Times in 4,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The interior is very impressive in design direction. Kudos to Hyundai for going in a different direction.

The outside is a disaster

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,759 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Even though it isn't a tablet, the entire radio/HVAC area could easily have been one and it will have looked nicely integrated. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go with the tablet. Or am I wrong and it is a tablet? The upper portion with the radio is a touchscreen, but the lower, HVAC, half appears to not be a tablet.

I like the back end, the front, as per current Hyundai designs, appears to be "overly distinctive", meaning I'm not a fan but I give them points for not blending in. Sides seem a bit much also.

I don't understand their N-Line, it's just an appearance package right? Didn't sound like actual performance. Or did I miss something?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ine-confirmed/

Nah, the N-Line gives you some extra performance. 300 HP, AWD standard, DCT. Probably a few other things that Hyundai isn't telling us right now.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-10-2020),Mr.Buttons (11-10-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (11-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ine-confirmed/

Nah, the N-Line gives you some extra performance. 300 HP, AWD standard, DCT. Probably a few other things that Hyundai isn't telling us right now.
    Forgive them, they're used to how GM does performance variants...they've grown accustom to just stickers and black badges, actually adding performance to mainstream offerings is a foreign concept.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

mjd1001 (11-11-2020),Mr.Buttons (11-10-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (11-15-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar BORG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 577 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It looks more expensive than it is, but this is a great example of "cake-decorating" design which I really dislike. Lots of bloated surface detailing, terrible proportions. Interior ergonomics look like a disaster with glossy touch-based controls and an IP exposed to glare.

The PHEV is interesting because it makes mechanical AWD standard as opposed to the more expensive RAV4 eAWD. Escape PHEV doesn't get AWD because it needs their more expensive eAWD system which only the Lincoln Corsair PHEV gets. Hyundai can do this by moving the battery into the cargo area which substantially impacts cargo capacity, but frees up space for the drive shaft. Ford and Toyota integrate the battery into the chassis which frees up cabin space, but eats up chassis space.

There is a reason Hyundai's are cheaper.
    Last edited by BORG; 11-10-2020 at 12:17 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

emh (11-11-2020),Greg Burr (11-18-2020)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

I love the front end, side is a bit busy. Interior seems to be what most people are praising, but to me it is the worst part of it (not awful, but for sure not my taste in styling). I am looking forward to hearing with the N-line specs are going to be.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

This is a ripoff of the Mustang and Mustang EV. The front is a ripoff of the Mustang coupe. The grill maybe should be mesh. The treatment around the running lights has gotta go.

Drop the side bulges/scalloping and the chrome treatment, and keep the character line and you have side styling that is congruent with the front, for a sculpted, sporty look.

The back is a Mustang EV rip off that is offensive. The interior is not of a car that I would go into debt for.

Maybe they need a few industrial designers from outside the industry to do a sort of reset. Chrysler did that in the 90's and came out with some real nice sedans
    Last edited by Greg Burr; 11-15-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,645 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The interior looks better

And lets be honest here it needs to be

Been car shopping(window shopping mainly) for wifies new ride and Hyundai is only just a step above the horrible tupperware interiors of the now defunct (locally) GM stuff

Very plasticy

Mazda is the king of quality looking interiors for those on a budget
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Greg Burr (11-15-2020)

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    The PHEV is interesting because it makes mechanical AWD standard as opposed to the more expensive RAV4 eAWD. Escape PHEV doesn't get AWD because it needs their more expensive eAWD system which only the Lincoln Corsair PHEV gets. Hyundai can do this by moving the battery into the cargo area which substantially impacts cargo capacity, but frees up space for the drive shaft. Ford and Toyota integrate the battery into the chassis which frees up cabin space, but eats up chassis space.

There is a reason Hyundai's are cheaper.
    Hyundai has its reasons for doing what they did.

Hyundai uses a modified torque converter transmission where one can lock the AWD system to send 50% of the power fore and 50% aft.

The eAWD system in the hybrid RAV4 has its weaknesses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTPvjjRpxS8

You also fail to note that the new Tucson has a good bit longer WB than the RAV4, allowing for 3.5" more rear leg room than the Toyota.

With the longer WB, the Tucson, not surprisingly, has the RAV4 easily beat when it comes to passenger space.

108.3 cu ft. vs 98.9

But it also beats the RAV4 in cargo space...

Both with the 2nd row up -

39 cu ft. vs 37.6

And by a significant amount with the 2nd row flat -

80 cu ft. vs 69.8

So much for your claim of compromised cargo space.

And if we're going to talk cheap, Toyota only gave its flagship crossover (Highlander) a cheap hood prop.

The Palisade gets gas struts.

Hyundai also spent the $$ to develop different length platforms to underpin the Tuscon, Santa Fe and Palisade.

Meanwhile, Toyota took the cheap way out by using the same platform/WB as the 2-row RX for the RX-L (which is why the 3rd row is pretty much useless), just tacking on some extra length at the rear.

Toyota did the same thing for the new Venza (shares the same platform as the RAV4, but just tacked on some extra length).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr View Post
    This is a ripoff of the Mustang and Mustang EV. The front is a ripoff of the Mustang coupe. The grill maybe should be mesh. The treatment around the running lights has gotta go.

Drop the side bulges/scalloping and the chrome treatment, and keep the character line and you have side styling that is congruent with the front, for a sculpted, sporty look.

The back is a Mustang EV rip off that is offensive. The interior is not of a car that I would go into debt for.

Maybe they need a few industrial designers from outside the industry to do a sort of reset. Chrysler did that in the 90's and came out with some real nice sedans
    Um, this has already been out in Korea for some months now.

The design was frozen well before anyone saw the design for the Mach-e.
    Last edited by YEH; 11-16-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks

Fugly on the outside...nice looking on the inside. The quality of the interior is a completely different story and can't be conveyed through photos. One thing that I do like is that they appear to use a unique design theme on all of their cars...just look at how the memory seat buttons are integrated into the top trim of the door panel, a Tucson unique piece along with their MB ripoff gauge cluster. From the Palisade, to the Sonata, to the Santa Fe, to Elantra...they all have a unique interior and hell...exterior design.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,759 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Fugly on the outside...nice looking on the inside. The quality of the interior is a completely different story and can't be conveyed through photos. One thing that I do like is that they appear to use a unique design theme on all of their cars...just look at how the memory seat buttons are integrated into the top trim of the door panel, a Tucson unique piece along with their MB ripoff gauge cluster. From the Palisade, to the Sonata, to the Santa Fe, to Elantra...they all have a unique interior and hell...exterior design.
    They look familiar without being too close.

I finally saw a new Sonata at night time this weekend. The lighting elements are crazy good. Probably my favorite setup now.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    They look familiar without being too close.

I finally saw a new Sonata at night time this weekend. The lighting elements are crazy good. Probably my favorite setup now.
    I like some parts of the Sonata (interior,lighting)...and some parts I don't after seeing it in person...I love the tech it brings with the remote park feature and the lighting element up the hood. And on some trims, I think it was the SE, the front doesn't look so catfish-ish...but on certain colors of the SEL it looks almost unforgivably catfish-ish. Maybe they should've given the limited the face of the SE w/ the SEL's wheel selection. IDK.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information