Alfa Romeo brand to spearhead Fiat US efforts; Grand Cherokee based-Alfa GTX coming - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo brand to spearhead Fiat US efforts; Grand Cherokee based-Alfa GTX coming

Thanks

Re: Alfa Romeo brand to spearhead Fiat US efforts; Grand Cherokee based-Alfa GTX comi

IMHO, it still looks awful. Having said which, Porsche is Porsche and Alfa is Alfa. There might be a time when Alfa is so desirable you can slap the name on anything and it would sell. But the time is still to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Re: Alfa Romeo brand to spearhead Fiat US efforts; Grand Cherokee based-Alfa GTX comi

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    F ix

I t

A gain

T ony

It would be hard to overcome their crappy reputation. I drove a few Alfa's, years ago. Not bad at all.
    When he is done with the Pentastar, he can run down to GM and streamline them.
    I never understood the multiple layers of management and indecision makers.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Walking
    Thanks

I also agree with FIAT bringing several of there small low priced cars over here. But, to overcome their bad image, instead of them having a badge that says FIAT, they should have one with a sail boat. Bring Plymouth back as a brand that specializes in only small, inexpensive models (rebadged FIATs). That way, FIAT will have a presence in the US, granted not in name. And Chrysler Group gets a line below the mid-level Dodge. Just keep it to a few rebadged FIATs, don't start rebadging every other car in their fleet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

And of course nobody will know the new vehicles are Fiats, given the coverage Chrysler receives? Please...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think the Alfa / GC design is more to ship back to Europe as a SUV competitor for Alfa in the near term, not as a domestic sale initially.

Sergio is using each side's strengths in a somewhat glorified dodge ball team trade. Shipping a midsize platform and compact platform here and shipping SUV platforms there, makes some sense, but we'll see if it pans out.
    Current Vehicles:
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2004 Acura TSX
    1989 Jeep Cherokee

Thanks

I hope the Fiesta is well established when the 500 comes over and I hope that Ford can leverage the 500 assembly plant in toluca (probably) to launch the Ford KA in the US (the KA/500 are made along side each other in Poland). It is entirely possible that Ford, Fiat and Chyrsler could have distinctive vehicles off this platform with Chrysler going low end, the Fiesta taking middle/sporty ground and the 500 going upscale. There would be overlap but the 500 & Ka are already distinctive, so they would just have to make the Chrysler look different from the other two and not cookie cutter. Ford and Chrysler would then have micro-cars to compete with the Asians/VW.
    Last edited by gardnet1; 06-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks

I think the Alfa / GC design is more to ship back to Europe as a SUV competitor for Alfa in the near term, not as a domestic sale initially.
    It will be a side dish to a an already quite marginal market. Giving the money to Jeep to properly upholster and integrate showrooms with Alfa Romeo would've yielded much better results.

There is absolutely no reason for Alfa to get an SUV. It will be a costly mistake - you read it here first!

Thanks

There is no point in the Ford Ka coming to the States as it has nothing to offer that the 500 doesn't trump, in spades: the 500 is enough to cover this very niche market and it will have a cabriolet version as well: but I'd be surprised to see many of them stray far from the two seaboards.

I can see Fiat's point of view in not wanting to launch a range of small cars with a badge that has bad memories, and STILL a Fix-it-again response (yawn), but the Bravo and Linea are so well detailed that giving them nose jobs and Chrysler badges probably wouldn't help. My expectation is that Fiat will build a Chrysler they believe will appeal to Americans on the extended Lancia Delta platform. My fear is that this car will be so 'safe' that its blandness will make it invisible.

More likely is a refreshed range of present Chrysler products including the Multiair heads and a few tweaks, quickly offering better performance and economy; and then a whole range of new cars in two tears.

Alfa has been thinking of an SUV for years, but I agree that such a vehicle is a bit pointless these days in any market and that Alfa should work on its core products.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    I think it would have been cool to have Fiat back.

Just think of the strange, off-kilter marketing they could use.

HOw about "Fiat Fiat!" Let there be Fiat!!

nm

As for Alfa..... that will throw a monkey wrench into the established US luxury market..... if they're really good cars, I can definitely see the coastal markets readily adopting Alfa over the likes of Saab, Volvo, Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura, and Infiniti.
    From what I've heard form my European relatives Alfa Romeo has cachet but is highly unreliable. And I recall watching a Top Gear episode where an Alfa self destructed during their test. Of course the wankers loved it, even thought they all admitted they'd never spend their own money on one because it'd constantly be broken.

So will Alfa succeed? I doubt it. It might get a bump, much like Mitsubishi, and then it'll quickly be ridiculed and people will never buy them again. The best way to determine quality is what Top Gear's producers said about the prospect of buying a used Alfa Romeo. "You'd have to be galactically stupid to buy one."

If I remember correctly, Fiat tends to own the bottom spot in quality rankings in Europe. And since Alfa is part of Fiat, that's a bad thing.

So I expect a massive flame out.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC OldsReliable's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, but what about the MITO!!! MITO MITO MITO!
    Member of the ancient Order of the: Keepers of the Speed Limit

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Holden Astra CDX

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM View Post
    I was really hoping that GM would've acquired Alfa back in the GM-Fiat days. (Because that is what GM really wanted... Alfa; not Fiat)
    I'm glad they didn't, they wouldn't know what you do with the brand and it would probably have ended up like Saab is now.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ubnfortunately, SUVs are what sell here. There wouldn't be a Cayenne or an X5 or any of these other pointless vehicles if the US didn't have an SUV fixation. Maybe this Alfa will actually have the beans to actually be a 4X4, and not just another lame "crossover."
    Last edited by 1979RS; 06-27-2009 at 09:48 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

I get your point, Bravada, about an Alfa SUV, but everyone else has one. In America they'll need one for people who think an SUV is needed to back out of their driveway in a mm or so of snow.

While it's true Alfa doesn't have the best rep for reliability (my Sisters's ten year old 156 which is great to drive just did it's selectomatic with only about 40K miles on it) they are a bit like a 4-wheeled Ducati. Known for being temperatmental but that is what attracts some people, like a strong-willed and fiery Virago attracts some men.

They've been working hard on rep here in Oz, and never left these shores - it took a while, but people actually trust the 'ten year perforation' guarantee and they are screwed together much, much better by Alfanso or the autobots these days....

Certainly the 147 and 156, 159 are all 'better' cars than they used to be, and at least have character and some brio unlike so many poor Camcord clones and French cars with automotive tourettes - wouldn't appeal to me becasue they're wrong-wheel drive, but the latte- or Chai-sipping trendoids who look like George Michael on a bad day love them here, and in the metros of Europe.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

yep, the image in Oz seems to be that Alfas are improved in reliabilty.... but then every so often you hear of a near new one with gallactic scale issues.

I always wanted an Alfa, and would get one (theoretically) but as a company car where I can ditch it and not worry about the resale..... as a personally owned car? not sure I'd go that far. That spiel goes for Saab as well.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Holden Calais V 3.6 V6

It has to be noted, also, that one of the big reasons Fiat falls towards the bottom of satisfaction surveys like JD Power is its lousy and inept dealership network. The quality/reliability side of the equation has come a long way since the dark old days of rusty Lancias and self-destructing Fiats.

That being said, I can understand in part why Fiat doesn't want to launch the Fiat brand (except for the niche 500) but at the same time, they must realise that with all the media coverage, it's unlikely many people WON'T know that Fiat and Chrysler are together.

The Alfa SUV? So long as it's not done half-assed (Saab 9-7X), it'll be fine. Like it or not, luxury marques need at least one SUV/crossover... preferably two.

Now, Alfa just needs to hurry up and get its RWD strategy together. The 159 is probably the most gorgeous European compact executive (check out the three-bulb headlamps, the taut lines, the driver-oriented dash, nice leather) but it would gain even more cache with a RWD platform. I'm curious to see, also, what a RWD 169 would be like... the FWD 166 was always an also-ran.

On the Chrysler front, they need to get their mid-sizer in order! The Sebring/Avenger need to be either heavily revised (new engines, interior, some exterior modifications) or replaced, pronto!
    A woman walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre. So the bartender gave her one.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information