330i M Sport vs. Giulia Ti Sport: The battle for the best sport sedan title

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 330i M Sport vs. Giulia Ti Sport: The battle for the best sport sedan title

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

BMW 3 SERIES VS. ALFA ROMEO GIULIA COMPARISON: WHICH IS THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE?

For this comparison we wanted to stay around the $50,000 cap, but BMW sent us a 330i with the M Sport package ($5,000), Track Handling package ($2,450), Drivers Assistance Pro package ($1,700), Premium package ($2,800), and Executive package ($2,100), which increased its price to a hefty $59,920. Equipped with a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine, the 330i develops a punchy 255 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque and is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission that sends the power to the rear wheels.

Our long-term 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q2 is powered by a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine that sends 280 hp and 306 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels via an eight-speed automatic. Equipped with the Ti Sport RWD package ($2,500), Driver Assistance Static package ($650), Driver Assist Dynamic Plus package ($1,500), and Ti Sport Performance package ($1,200), the Giulia carries a wallet-friendlier price tag of $51,635.
    Counter these impressions with the inherent Italian passion of the Alfa. We found the Giulia's ride and handling superior to the BMW's. "Alfa absolutely cracked the ride/handling code," Walton said. The steering is well balanced, and the suspension is firm enough to feel sporty yet comfortable when you want it.

Whether you're tearing through the back roads to the grocery store or gliding along the boulevards on your way home, the Alfa will deliver the driving pleasure we expect from a sport sedan. Its engine feels torquey for a four-cylinder, though there's a similar bit of lag when you tromp the gas pedal from a stop. "Once underway, the eight-speed always seems to have the right gear on tap and is quick to downshift," Powell said. Reynolds complained that it was hard to predict how the pedal would react.

And although the Italian gallant is a couple of years longer in the tooth than the just-redesiged BMW, the Alfa does a lot of things right. When driven in Dynamic mode, the car doesn't beat you up. It simply moves with composure and swiftness. The Giulia feels natural, an extension of your corporeal form. "It's just so good in many different ways," Walton said. "And in the ways it doesn't quite measure up, it really doesn't matter to me.
    We prefer the Alfa's seats, which provide more lateral support than the BMW's, and Reynolds also preferred the Italian's driving position. But we had different opinions on its second row. Whereas Walton described the Alfa's back seat as "the best of the bunch by a mile," Reynolds and I had problems with the headroom, as both of our heads brushed the headliner. The dual-pane sunroof gives back-seat passengers a nice experience, though. We all agreed on the new 3 Series' great interior space, including good legroom and headroom even for rear passengers.
    FINAL VERDICT

Both cars offer different approaches with the same goal in mind: to be the best sport sedan. We appreciate the changes BMW made to the 3 Series to deliver a better ride and improve the dynamics over the last model, but the competition did its homework in the years BMW was looking the other way. The Giulia still keeps its promise of making drivers happy, as it transmits emotion while being a natural player.

With new players in the game, BMW must examine how and why the competition has surpassed its 3 Series in ways implausible a few years ago. To us, the Alf Romeo Giulia is simply a better driver's car. The Alfa is "the best, most satisfying, most visceral sport sedan—even in this lower-rung version," Reynolds said. "It's the modern 3 Series."

SECOND PLACE
    BMW 3 Series

FIRST PLACE
    Alfa Romeo Giulia
    https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...mparison-test/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bare For This Useful Post:

bongos2u (06-11-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-11-2019),Neanderthal (06-11-2019),Z284ever (06-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Re: 330i M Sport vs. Giulia Ti Sport: The battle for the best sport sedan title

The Giulia has something about it that speaks to me.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

bongos2u (06-11-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-11-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019),Rumpole (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,124 Times in 1,709 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I like it, too. I just don't trust it.
    I do not like the Giulia's sport seats. The non-sport seats are just fine.

Hopefully the CT4-V brings a lot more to the table than the wimpy 255hp BMW.
    Alpha is a fine platform and I'm confident in GM's ability to properly tune a suspension.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019),Rumpole (06-12-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 4,021 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

The Alfas today are distinct in a sea of anonymous curves. Their grille has always been unique and attractive IMO, more so now with so many jumping aboard the Lexus bandwagon of a yooj catfish snout which is as attractive and creative as a mud pie.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I like it, too. I just don't trust it.
    I do not like the Giulia's sport seats. The non-sport seats are just fine.

Hopefully the CT4-V brings a lot more to the table than the wimpy 255hp BMW.
    Alpha is a fine platform and I'm confident in GM's ability to properly tune a suspension.

Same. If I thought it could give years of reliable service, I'd already own one.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I used to think that too! Now I realize it was just the belt tensioners

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019),skylark68 (06-13-2019),Z284ever (06-11-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

How's the rear seat leg room?
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post
    How's the rear seat leg room?
    What about the plastics on the lower door?? The important stuff on a small sports sedan....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,124 Times in 1,709 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    What about the plastics on the lower door?? The important stuff on a small sports sedan....
    Bellissimo, of course!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks

Cars which transmit passion are easily forgiven for silliness like rear seat room and plastic on the lower door.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Cars which transmit passion are easily forgiven for silliness like rear seat room and plastic on the lower door.
    Yup. The Giulia is awesome to drive too. I loved it. If they gave me a fair trade I'd be driving one now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Yup. The Giulia is awesome to drive too. I loved it. If they gave me a fair trade I'd be driving one now.
    Which one did you drive?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,018 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

W
    Im telling you guys.....one year into the ownership experience and Im loving this Alfa Ti Sport..

I have the stelvio ti sport but its basically a slightly lifted guila..

They have great deals on these things too right now...

Go to www.leasehackr.com and see

So much fun to drive...very sporty, very happy sports sedan and sports cuv...

I personally dig the 20 inch rims on the stelvio ti sport...its a few extra dollars well spent..(the tires have nice tall sidewalls so the alfa drives great in pothole riden NY metro without a care in the world)

The ride is great, the handling is great...the acceleration is spirited.

My wife loves this thing and I enjoy it as well...

The only downside is every 30k miles you meed to have the timing belt replaced which personally I think is ridiculous...alfa needs to use a longer lasting belt from the get go...

Thats nonsense none of us should have to deal with every 30k miles....thats a grand or two every 30k miles is over the top....and every 24 months or 24k miles...the brake fluid has to be swapped out and thats like 3 bills...

Thats bull**** too in my opinion...

Im spoiled because gm maintaince is spark plugs and wires every 100k miles...maybe 50 if your feeling like it..l(which I have done at 50k)

The brake fluid for 3 bills sounds like robbery and the timing belt every 3 years or 30 or 36k miles is a scam too...alfa needs to install longer lasting belts from the factory...

But other than those two annoyances to feed the alfa dealers so they can survive..l

Great car...

Im a hero with my wife as she loves her bright red no charge color too...(two reds...the free one is actually the brigter more italian red to choose if your going to choose red..

I did the $1000 DAS and 480 a month for 36/30k...

First year in...its a fabulous choice and worth that stupid brake fluid change at 24 months and even the timing belt swap at 3 years 30k but im not going to have to do that timing belt swap as the lease is over just before that nonsense has to be done...

What a stupid thing in todays world of cars...

Otherwise the car is great...

My wifes so happy with her alfa she is suggesting that I should treat myself to a c8 corvette z51 fe4 as they become available..

Its just my current corvette has been so utterly fantastic, so reliable, such low maintaince over the past 132k miles i put on it...i cant bear to give it away for what they ultimately sell for with this mileage...

The corvette is so good, in such great condition im having real difficulty giving it away...

Meanwhile Im on the reservation list for msrp for a c8...

Down in maryland with Crisswell ..

Just ranting off...

Anybody on the fence with the alfa ti sport...

Just lease it...its costing me a total of 19 grand tax title tags everything for 3 years...

Sport seats, 20s...great fun

I cant remember how to post photos....

Alfa is going to do a slight refresh on the styling which I think is a mistake...

A
    Fa just needs to put a longer life timing belt on the car ..and it wouldnt hurt to choose a longer life brake fluid too..

For those that worry about the touchy brakes..that becomes normal in a matter of a week...

Its nothing
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-11-2019),Rumpole (06-12-2019),Z284ever (06-11-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,018 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Last edited by JBsZ06; 06-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Friend has the stelvio. He luvs it, but it has been in the shop about 1/2 the time. It has been a magnet for other cars. Two accidents in less than a year. Other peoples fault, but still very inconvenient.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information