GM Inside News Forum banner

2021 Sienna First Drive: Functional efficiency with style

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bballr4567 
#1 ·
2021 Toyota Sienna First Drive | Functional efficiency with style
Hybrid efficiency, a clever use of space and available all-wheel drive go a long way
JOHN BELTZ SNYDER
Oct 27th 2020
autoblog.com

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The minivan segment isn’t a huge one, and it’s largely dominated by three players. There’s the stylish Chrysler Pacifica, with the excellent plug-in hybrid option. The Honda Odyssey unapologetically leans into its minivan-ness and family-hauling duties. Then there’s the new, totally redesigned 2021 Toyota Sienna. Its selling points are immediately apparent: unique styling, a standard hybrid powertrain and available all-wheel drive. Oh, and it’s a Toyota, which precedes itself with a reputation for reliability and utility, as well as a huge existing customer base. Barring some sort of dealbreaker in the test drive, this blend of existing traits (brand, AWD) and new ones (design, hybrid only) should probably be enough to make the Sienna appealing to those shopping in this lightly stocked aisle.

Spoiler alert: we found no dealbreakers during our test drive, but we were able to dig deeper into what we love, what we like and what we can accept.

First, we like the looks. Toyota did this van a service by making it look more like an SUV. Toyota’s not shy about gaping maws on its vehicles, but the prominent grille looks especially supportive of the high hood and thin, sweeping LED headlights. The character line that traces up and over the bulging rear fender gives a sense of fortitude below the rising beltline. Toward the rear is where the Sienna looks most like a minivan, where the long roof and vast liftgate can’t be downplayed by any design tricks. Still, the roof spoiler and slender LED taillights give this van the best possible rearward expression.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 ·
Impressive.

I know this isn't a segment that many play in any longer, but the amount of storage and capabilities is notable.

Kudos to Toyota for making the investment and improvements.

Of course, since GM doesn't play in this segment any longer, it makes one wonder if their newly minted expanded-alliance with Honda could ever see the Odyssey sold at Chevy stores?

We've already read some outside speculation that perhaps the reason that GM hasn't spent anything on a Malibu replacement up to now is because they hope to yoke their partnership with Honda to fill that void. And personally, I hope they do, even if nothing has been made official.

And yet, if such measure moves forward, who is to say GM couldn't sell a revised version of the Odyssey to keep some customers from looking to Chrysler, Kia, or Toyota for such sales?

#13 ·
The only true issue is lack of space in the 3rd row. Other than that this thing is impressive as hell. Screw ****ty SUVs that people need to pretend to be happy with (I hate taking our Palisade when we have to actually go somewhere with all the kids) and say what you want but vans are easily the best tool for people who are strong enough to drive them. Stigma be damned.

#14 ·
I love minivans simply for the convenience of their sliding rear doors that not only are powered, they are a safety feature for back seat passengers so that they can't whip their doors wide open to traffic. Most have flashing lamps or something letting you know someone is exiting from the back. Maybe I'm getting too old for road trips at 37 but minivans are the first thing the crew picks when we are on one. Dont care about the stigma. I'm only 5'8" but every row in a minivan is the only ride out that the 3rd row feels the same as any other row to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.