2021 Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series First Drive Review: Take The Black

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2021 Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series First Drive Review: Take The Black

Thanks
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 656 Posts

Motor1
    By: Francesco Meneghini
    Translated by: Brandon Turkus

Oct 05, 2020 2

Since 2006, Mercedes-Benz has attached the Black Series moniker to its most powerful and exclusive AMG products. But while every Mercedes eventually spawns an AMG (except for the Sprinter and Metris – wouldn’t that be rad?), not every AMG gets the Black Series treatment.

The prerequisites for a Black Series candidate are fairly simple: two doors, and the ability to easily strip away weight, amplify the aesthetics, and seriously beef up the mechanicals. Because of those requirements, only few AMGs have gotten the honor. The first and only SLK Black kicked things off, but the cars that followed – based on the CLK, SL, C-Class Coupe, and SLS – established the badge's strong reputation. Now, it’s the turn of the AMG GT, the sportiest car on that list by far.
    The AMG GT Black Series looks exaggerated and bad, and we mean that in the best possible way. We might argue designers went overboard, but each element of this styling overhaul has a purpose and/or received a blessing from the wind tunnel. Exposed carbon is a prominent element, contrasting nicely with our tester’s Magma Orange paint, on the fascia, hood, roof, side sills, and tail. In case the Halloween vibe didn’t make the GT Black’s case, the enormous active spoiler should. All told, the extra aero allows the Black to generate 880 pounds of downforce at 155 mph.

The AMG GT Black rides atop staggered-width wheels – 20 inchers in back, 19s up front – which contributes further to the aggressive, purposeful stance. The rear, therefore, is slightly raised, with the slight inclination of the four exhaust pipes adding to that impression. This car looks mean.
    “Let’s go,” German DTM Driver Maro Engel says from the passenger’s seat, marking the clear and official start point of our time in the AMG GT Black Series. Just a few inches from my outstretched legs beats the heart of this car, a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 with 720 horsepower – it’s the most powerful AMG engine ever. And after crushing the throttle, that’s clear as the Black roars from zero to 124 miles per hour with incredible speed.

To achieve these power levels, AMG engineers fitted larger intercoolers and turbochargers and switched the 4.0-liter’s crank from a cross-plane to a flat-plane, reducing vibration and increasing low-end torque. This car packs 590 pound-feet of torque, which you’ll find on hand from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm. Also, and it goes without saying, but the move to a flat-plane has a dramatic effect on the engine’s singing voice, too.
    Playing with the yellow traction knob is fun. The differences between the nine steps are small enough that you can slowly feel the AMG GT shaking off its chains. The rear gets looser, the car runs wider, and it all gets very, very fun. While this GT R party trick is fun, the Black Series comes with exclusive items to squeeze extra seconds out of lap times. Drivers can adjust not only the stiffness of the shocks, but they can make tweaks to the front and rear sway bars and add negative camber at both ends if need be. That’s in addition to the adjustable drive modes – you can really make the GT Black Series your own.

But despite these enhancements the GT Black Series feels amazing not for its acceleration or adjustability, but for the simplicity and naturalness that it offers to a relatively inexperienced pilot. You can go out with the nannies on and the suspension left to factory settings, but it doesn’t feel like the car is actively holding you back. It’s a delight to drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2021 Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series First Drive Review: Take The Black

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 759 Posts

It looks heinous up front, and pretty damned gaudy inside. Is it the aim of German brands now to make the front end of their cars look heinous?
    Last edited by Robert1969; 10-05-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

From the A pillar and back it looks like a 911.

Either way, awesome vehicle and certain to bring big smiles to their owners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    From the A pillar and back it looks like a 911.

Either way, awesome vehicle and certain to bring big smiles to their owners.
    I am sure it is absolutely thrilling to drive, but the front end makes me want to hurl.

The side profile looks nice. I love the very long hood.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

Thanks

Looks remind me of Ginetta G40. But this looks nicer.
    I would like to see the engine in other AMG vehicles. But it probably won't happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    I am sure it is absolutely thrilling to drive, but the front end makes me want to hurl.

The side profile looks nice. I love the very long hood.
    Definitely appears to have the longest hood to rest of the car ratio of any car on the market! The regular version is elegant, I do agree that this version has a brutal-ness to the grill, but I'm ok with it due to the nature of the car (though I do agree with you to the extent that I don't find it exactly appealing).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

This thing is insane...it's a track toy hence the dive planes, splitters, and vents. It's all function over form here
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Definitely appears to have the longest hood to rest of the car ratio of any car on the market! The regular version is elegant, I do agree that this version has a brutal-ness to the grill, but I'm ok with it due to the nature of the car (though I do agree with you to the extent that I don't find it exactly appealing).
    When I saw it from the side, I immediately wondered if there was a V-12 under there. The side profile is gorgeous. Just can’t stand its face.

The grill looks like an enlarged version of the fake grill on the Model 3 which I HATE. I get that it’s mission influences the looks; it just seems they could have made it more elegant.

But no doubt it’s boss on the track.

Thanks

This reminds me a lot of the Hamaann Volcano, one of my personal "Powerball Divorce" goals:

My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This is the Vipers successor

Thanks

^^^no it isn't
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

My biggest detraction from this vehicle is the engine note, the lower models sound much better then it. Though this car is going to be a lap time physco.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,597 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    ^^^no it isn't
    It's ten times the car the viper was

These things are insane to watch on a track

sound awesome
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content