2021 Kia Sedona revealed

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67

Thread: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

  1. #1
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,779
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    2021 Kia Sedona's new look revealed as Korean-market Carnival
    It has many interesting design details
    JOEL STOCKSDALE
    Jun 23, 2020
    autoblog.com

    Last week, Kia showed teaser sketches of the next-generation Carnival, which we'll get as the 2021 Kia Sedona. Now the company has released actual photos of the minivan with the Carnival nameplate. No other information about powertrains or features have been announced, but there's plenty in the design to take a look at.

    Overall, the Sedona has a boxy, upright design seemingly more inspired by crossovers than traditional minivans. The low ride height and tall body do give it away as a van, though. Other crossover design cues include the faux skid plate panels on the front and rear bumpers.

    Look closer, and you find some really fascinating details across the van. At the front, you find an intricate variation on the Kia "Tiger Nose" grille with intersecting chrome diamonds. You'll also find that the LED running lights run out from the headlights and down the lower section of the grille surround. Hidden just inside the grille are the high beams for the headlights, and the lights each have chrome eyebrows. Along the side, a strong shoulder line blends into the door sliders, and the C-pillar is the most prominent of any modern Kia. It has a sort of chrome or aluminum finish with a light diamond cross-hatched pattern molded into it. At the back, there's a full-width taillight housing with LED elements. In the middle section, there are little chrome highlights just behind the red plastic adding another fine detail to admire.

    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

    Images courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com:

    Last edited by nadepalma; 06-25-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (06-27-2020),BlackGTP (06-25-2020),Ed753 (06-27-2020)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,779
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Kudos and a big thumbs up to Kia on this.

    While the design it's groundbreaking, it certainly is arguably the best example of grafting crossover/SUV looks onto a minivan that I've ever seen.

    Minivans are among the most versatile vehicles on the market -- they can do just about everything well (minus canyon carving, of course). Yet, the market for them has been shrinking for well over 15 years; in no small part due to the stigma surrounding them ("soccer moms") and the never-ceasing onslaught of crossover and SUV popularity.

    If the market keeps going SUV/crossover crazy, I can't help but think that the new Sedona might actually sell a few more units and capture some attention for the minivan market. And if they include AWD as an option, I think there may be more than a few families out there that should give it a second look as an SUV/crossover alternative.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

    1999 White C5 Coupe (06-26-2020),Ed753 (06-27-2020)

  6. #3
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 157 Times in 96 Posts

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Big improvement but it looks like a Skoda, certainly not gorgeous as Jalopnik called it. Once again I read a title from Jalopnik/Autoblog/Topspeed etc. calling Hyundai/KIA/Toyota product gorgeous, splendid, awesome. Anyone knows how much they charge for such ads?
    Current:
    2014 Volvo V40 CC
    2016 Mercedes CLS
    1994 Firebird TransAm LQ4 manual
    2017 Mustang
    Previous:
    2005 Mercedes SL
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1992 Cadillac STS
    1997 Corvette

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,779
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    Big improvement but it looks like a Skoda, certainly not gorgeous as Jalopnik called it. Once again I read a title from Jalopnik/Autoblog/Topspeed etc. calling Hyundai/KIA/Toyota product gorgeous, splendid, awesome. Anyone knows how much they charge for such ads?
    Front end totally gives me a Skoda vibe, for sure.

    Honestly, the rear end reminds me of an old 80s Subaru XT. It's the first thing I thought of. Or for that matter, a 90s Subaru SVX.

    See what I mean (below)?

    It's not gorgeous, but it's definitely a handsome looking product. There's no single design element that stands out as unique. Rather it's taken so many little SUV/crossover design elements and actually made them "fit properly" on a minivan.

    That deserves some accolades -- but gorgeous? No, not really.


    Last edited by nadepalma; 06-25-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

    Mr.Buttons (06-25-2020)

  10. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    15,076
    Thanks
    6,806
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Looks good for what it is, though were I in the market I'd go for the Chevy Traverse. Yes, I know the Traverse is technically a CUV, but other than not having a sliding door, it's a minivan. The Traverse looks a lot better to me.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    SRFCTY (06-29-2020)

  12. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    30,650
    Thanks
    5,354
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Looks good for what it is, though were I in the market I'd go for the Chevy Traverse. Yes, I know the Traverse is technically a CUV, but other than not having a sliding door, it's a minivan. The Traverse looks a lot better to me.


    Traverse does represent everything Chevrolet is good at. Solid non assuming product that will hassle for you, day in day for hundreds of thousands of miles.

    I still see a good number of Saturn Outlooks out and about, this many years on, still hassling on family duty.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (06-27-2020),BlackGTP (06-25-2020),Scrambler (06-26-2020)

  14. #7
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    574
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 191 Times in 80 Posts

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    If the market keeps going SUV/crossover crazy, I can't help but think that the new Sedona might actually sell a few more units and capture some attention for the minivan market. And if they include AWD as an option, I think there may be more than a few families out there that should give it a second look as an SUV/crossover alternative.
    It needs at least a hybrid option - IMO the new Sienna is breaking new ground in this segment with its hybrid-only offering. Buyers in this segment focus on functionality, and improving MPG to over 30 in a vehicle of this size and capability is going to catch buyer's attention.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (06-26-2020)

  16. #8
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Southaven, Mississippi USA
    Posts
    2,981
    Thanks
    3,882
    Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,489 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    It's not gorgeous, but it's definitely a handsome looking product. There's no single design element that stands out as unique. Rather it's taken so many little SUV/crossover design elements and actually made them "fit properly" on a minivan.

    That deserves some accolades -- but gorgeous? No, not really.
    It's darn near impossible to make a box-mobile gorgeous, exterior-wise.

    I prefer the styling of the China domestic market Buick GL8 ES Avenir over the new Kia Carnival:



    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

    Scrambler (06-26-2020)

  18. #9
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 465 Times in 282 Posts

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Looks good for what it is, though were I in the market I'd go for the Chevy Traverse. Yes, I know the Traverse is technically a CUV, but other than not having a sliding door, it's a minivan. The Traverse looks a lot better to me.
    Much like the VW Atlas, the only thing the Traverse does well is be large. The interior is a bit cheap, nvh isn't well controlled, and it's ride isn't all that put together over washboard surfaces.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

    Ed753 (06-27-2020)

  20. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,729
    Thanks
    2,190
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Looks good for what it is, though were I in the market I'd go for the Chevy Traverse. Yes, I know the Traverse is technically a CUV, but other than not having a sliding door, it's a minivan. The Traverse looks a lot better to me.
    I hate to bust your bubble but the Traverse absolutely sucks as a minivan replacement. Yes, it moves metal but with carseats and children that can't buckle themselves the sliding doors are amazing. Don't even talk about the space utilization as well.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

    Ed753 (06-27-2020),MercerGrad (06-27-2020),Neanderthal (06-26-2020)

  22. #11
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    30,650
    Thanks
    5,354
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    It's darn near impossible to make a box-mobile gorgeous, exterior-wise.

    I prefer the styling of the China domestic market Buick GL8 ES Avenir over the new Kia Carnival:



    Throw in a nice V6 Turbo in that thing with AWD and mother can go to grandmas in a hurry.

    That interior is Top Notch

  23. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    15,076
    Thanks
    6,806
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
    Much like the VW Atlas, the only thing the Traverse does well is be large. The interior is a bit cheap, nvh isn't well controlled, and it's ride isn't all that put together over washboard surfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I hate to bust your bubble but the Traverse absolutely sucks as a minivan replacement. Yes, it moves metal but with carseats and children that can't buckle themselves the sliding doors are amazing. Don't even talk about the space utilization as well.
    No bubble to burst. I am not in the market and never will be. But were I to need a big vehicle (but not having kids) to get my friends and I around, I'd not need carseats - at age 50+ my friends can buckle themselves in (unless they've drank to much)

    For me, exterior looks play a big role in a vehicle purchase, interior materials, not so much. In this pricey class of vehicles I find "cheap interior materials" translates to trim pieces I'll never touch. The design of the cheap materials is more important to me vs. touching them as I'll see the materials/shapes. If they look ok and the cheapness is only known when touching, then I typically don't care. $150k vehicles, then yes, everything better feel and looks good, even parts I don't touch.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    Scrambler (06-27-2020),SRFCTY (06-29-2020)

  25. #13
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,729
    Thanks
    2,190
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    No bubble to burst. I am not in the market and never will be. But were I to need a big vehicle (but not having kids) to get my friends and I around, I'd not need carseats - at age 50+ my friends can buckle themselves in (unless they've drank to much)

    For me, exterior looks play a big role in a vehicle purchase, interior materials, not so much. In this pricey class of vehicles I find "cheap interior materials" translates to trim pieces I'll never touch. The design of the cheap materials is more important to me vs. touching them as I'll see the materials/shapes. If they look ok and the cheapness is only known when touching, then I typically don't care. $150k vehicles, then yes, everything better feel and looks good, even parts I don't touch.
    Even as a people mover a minivan excels way better than a CUV. The lower floor combined with a higher roof allows for more comfortable seating. I'd much rather spend 6 hours in any minivan in the second row than 99% of the CUVs that play in the middle market class.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 06-26-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (06-27-2020),Ed753 (06-27-2020),gkr778 (06-26-2020),Murrow (06-28-2020),Neanderthal (06-26-2020),sdotjeezy (06-26-2020)

  27. #14
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanks
    881
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Even as a people mover a minivan excels way better than a CUV. The lower floor combined with a higher roof allows for more comfortable seating. I'd much rather spend 6 hours in any minivan in the second than 99% of the CUVs that play in the middle market class.
    As someone who recently crossed over (pun intended) to a CUV from a minivan....I can 100% cosign on this. The Buick may trounce my old Chrysler T&C in style and possibly 3rd row space, but throw in the underseat compartments and taller cargo area, the T&C wins in usability hands down. CUVs are for folks concerned with Image...minivans are where it's at for utility.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (06-27-2020),Ed753 (06-27-2020),gkr778 (06-26-2020),mjd1001 (06-27-2020)

  29. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    15,076
    Thanks
    6,806
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: 2021 Kia Sedona revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Even as a people mover a minivan excels way better than a CUV. The lower floor combined with a higher roof allows for more comfortable seating. I'd much rather spend 6 hours in any minivan in the second row than 99% of the CUVs that play in the middle market class.
    No doubt, not arguing that, I just like the looks of the Traverse better. And being that the minivan market has collapsed since it's heyday I'd say that the better looks of CUV's has trumped practicality for many people.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    IROCNROL1 (06-28-2020),SRFCTY (06-29-2020)

  31. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2