GM Inside News Forum banner

2021 Genesis G80 Starts At $47,700, Undercuts European Rivals

4K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 ·
2021 Genesis G80 Starts At $47,700, Undercuts European Rivals
Motor1
MAY 19, 2020
By: Chris Bruce

he 2021 Genesis G80 will start at $47,700 (which does not include the mandatory $1,025 destination fee). Sales will start in the second half of the year.

The base engine will be a 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder making 300 horsepower (223 kilowatts) and 311 pound-feet (421 Newton-meters) of torque. The least expensive model with the 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 will be $59,100. The powerplant produces 375 hp (279 kW) and 391 lb-ft (530 Nm). Regardless of the engine choice, the sedan comes standard with rear-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive is an option.

The four-cylinder G80 comes full of standard features like LED headlights, power-folding mirrors, and high beam assist. There are 12-way, heated front seats and dual-zone climate control. The safety technology suite includes features like forward collision assist, smart cruise control with machine learning, lane keep assist, and blind-spot monitoring. The cabin has a 14.5-inch infotainment screen with a 12-speaker stereo.
The V6-powered G80 comes standard with many of the amenities from the four-cylinder variant's Advanced trim level. It also has an electronically controlled suspension with road preview and monobloc front brake calipers. The range-topping Prestige grade of the six-cylinder model gets amenities like Nappa leather upholstery and a suede headliner.
The table above shows the price of some of the G80's major competitors. The Genesis' starting cost undercuts them all. In fact, you can get the mid-range Advanced trim of the four-cylinder model for around the same amount of money as most of them.
Competitive Model Price

Audi A6 45 TFSI $54,900

BMW 530i $53,900

Jaguar XF P250 $51,100

Mercedes-Benz E350 $54,050

See less See more
#4 ·
It turns out that Genesis isnt a joke and should be taken seriously...it appears right now that they've got the stomach for the fight. G70/80/90 (minus that ridiculous grille) are serious luxury entries and the GX80 appears to be the real deal offering all the tech and theoretical performance of the Germans at a 10-15% discount

#11 ·
Genesis is not a joke but it will never have the European prestige. Discount is not worth it for most people who buy these.

Let's face it, many non-luxury vehicles are almost as nice as luxury vehicles. A big reason people buy is the name on the trunk.

#5 ·
The G80 Ultimate started at $57K, with a V8 engine that I'd much rather have than a TTV6.
I test drove a K900 with that engine and it was nice... very smooth and quiet.

#19 ·
Get rid of the ugly mouth, give it better wheels and we have a nice CT6-based Lexus-beating Buick :(
With GM stupid, illogical decisions it's an utopia :( In reality even Cadillac is left without a big sedan. Not improving but killing of the best products they have is even worse publicity-wise than offering Cimmaron 40 years ago (back then they at least had a crisis excuse). It's like admiting 'we are worse than competition, we failed'. If I was American, I would be forced either to look for a used CT6 or buy a new Continetal which soon will be axed too :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.