2020 Performance Car of the Year

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Performance Car of the Year

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-05-2019),Self Reliance (11-05-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Self Reliance's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2020 Performance Car of the Year

There's a new Porsche 911? It probably looks just like the last one

Hyundai Veloster N delivers both performance and practicality which does set it apart from the rest. In my lifetime I saw Hyundai go from laughing stock to ahead of the pack, which proves bad reputation isn't forever.

Edit: the Corvette's numbers are impressive, only a couple of seconds behind cars that cost way more. A Z06 or ZR1 will probably beat them all, shame about the mid-engine proportions but you can see why the engine was moved.
    Last edited by Self Reliance; 11-05-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    26 + 6 = 1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Self Reliance For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (11-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

My humble goal is/was a V6 Camaro stripper. Then the new Corvette came out and I started thinking "Wow, this is quite a car for sixty grand." Along came the Veloster N which won against an impressive field of performance cars and I was thoroughly blown away. It turned everything upside down.

Now I could get the ultimate world beating performance car for the price of a measly Camaro. Looks like I'll have to reevaluate my decision.

I'll get back to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (11-05-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 653 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    My humble goal is/was a V6 Camaro stripper. Then the new Corvette came out and I started thinking "Wow, this is quite a car for sixty grand." Along came the Veloster N which won against an impressive field of performance cars and I was thoroughly blown away. It turned everything upside down.

Now I could get the ultimate world beating performance car for the price of a measly Camaro. Looks like I'll have to reevaluate my decision.

I'll get back to you.
    I'm hoping resale drops on 2018/2019 Vettes. Want to pick up a used in a couple of years

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    I'm hoping resale drops on 2018/2019 Vettes. Want to pick up a used in a couple of years
    2018 Black Rose Metallic!!!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by Self Reliance View Post
    There's a new Porsche 911? It probably looks just like the last one

Hyundai Veloster N delivers both performance and practicality which does set it apart from the rest. In my lifetime I saw Hyundai go from laughing stock to ahead of the pack, which proves bad reputation isn't forever.

Edit: the Corvette's numbers are impressive, only a couple of seconds behind cars that cost way more. A Z06 or ZR1 will probably beat them all, shame about the mid-engine proportions but you can see why the engine was moved.
    I'm still baffled by how it won. It came in 2nd to last in every meaningful test. The miata was the only slower car. Thanks but no thanks.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-05-2019),posaune (11-06-2019),Self Reliance (11-05-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    I still want a C6 GS... Hard to justify a 2-seater until my kid is grown/out of the house though...
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Thanks
    Thanked 7,837 Times in 3,943 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I'm still baffled by how it won. It came in 2nd to last in every meaningful test. The miata was the only slower car. Thanks but no thanks.
    I kind of get it, but the Veloster evokes no feelings of passion when I look at it, something about it has that generic-Asian look to it even though it is very distinctive looking. The Corvette is a vehicle that calls to me!

The Veloster does make me think of the thread from last week about "what if GM still had John DeLorean". The Veloster is a perfect example, clearly a fun car, but based on the frequency that I see them, which is minimal, the market for sporty cars just isn't there. And the Veloster is affordable.... I see far more BMW 3 Series at twice the price.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 559 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I'm sorry, but some cars just aren't very good at tests. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to win PCOTY (even if the "P" does stand for performance)

If you took the reviewers who did this review and gave each one the option to pick any of the cars tested to keep, I wonder how many would pick the Velostar. That should be the real way to pick the "winner".
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

17. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I'm sorry, but some cars just aren't very good at tests. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to win PCOTY (even if the "P" does stand for performance)

If you took the reviewers who did this review and gave each one the option to pick any of the cars tested to keep, I wonder how many would pick the Velostar. That should be the real way to pick the "winner".
    C&D gives it 3/5 stars. Probably about right. The car is FWD. It is not a performance car. What happened to the car rags. First they can't even do an accurate dyno test on the new vette, and now this hot mess of goo.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (11-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post

Maybe they're trying to pervert the word "performance" the same way the Germans perverted the word "coupe".

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Self Reliance's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Maybe they're trying to pervert the word "performance" the same way the Germans perverted the word "coupe".
    No. It was the Rover P5 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_P5

26 + 6 = 1

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 716 Posts

600LT or Huracan EVO would be my choice if $$$ was not a factor, but...if it were I'd go C8 with the Supra a distant 2nd.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Obviously, Performance and performance have different meanings when they're talking about PERFORMANCE. Sadly though, I'll have to defer to the experts who can clearly see the intangibles us mere mortals can't comprehend. Like bribes.

So I guess I'll buy the 3 door Elantra and look down my nose at the Lamborghini sitting next to me at the stoplight. Until the light changes and he quickly disappears into the distance. Even then I'll be able to just shake my head and think "Doesn't that schmuck know that I'm driving the PCOTY?"

Curiously, I did a quick glance at the, uh, performance of a V6 Camaro 1LE versus a Velostar N and the Camaro seemed to win out regarding the 'P' word. What's up with that? I'm so confused anymore.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,476 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Obviously, Performance and performance have different meanings when they're talking about PERFORMANCE. Sadly though, I'll have to defer to the experts who can clearly see the intangibles us mere mortals can't comprehend. Like bribes.

So I guess I'll buy the 3 door Elantra and look down my nose at the Lamborghini sitting next to me at the stoplight. Until the light changes and he quickly disappears into the distance. Even then I'll be able to just shake my head and think "Doesn't that schmuck know that I'm driving the PCOTY?"

Curiously, I did a quick glance at the, uh, performance of a V6 Camaro 1LE versus a Velostar N and the Camaro seemed to win out regarding the 'P' word. What's up with that? I'm so confused anymore.
    A lot of the performance cars these days evoke no fun to drive quotient. Fun to drive cars tend to win the PCOTY testing and the N seems to be that car this year.

I did see a new 2020 N at the dealership in that light blue and it's a very good looking car.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information