2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face

2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face And Were Getting A Highlander Vibe
    BY JOHN HALAS
    NOVEMBER 20, 2018
    carscoops.com

With the countdown already on for the reveal of the 2020 Explorer, we get our best look yet at the Blue Ovals popular large SUV.

Looks Familiar, Doesnt It?

We wouldnt blame you if the overall silhouette fooled you into thinking that its only facelift, but its a truly new model. Thats mostly evident from the re-imagined front end, which bears a passing resemblance to an older version of one of its most prominent competitors, the (facelifted) 2011 Toyota Highlander.

Beyond the face and the different proportions, which well explain below, the next generation Explorer also gets a tighter greenhouse with a more aggressively sloped D-pillar, and more angular design elements for the rear, including the more compact three-dimensional taillights.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

"La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: 2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face

The news is a few days old, but didn't see it anywhere on GMI.

The current Explorer has been a huge hit for Ford -- both with retail customers and government agencies/law enforcement. Despite straying from a BoF architecture and moving to a version of the D4 platform (which itself was based on the quasi-Volvo derived D3 architecture), it has won lots of accolades; to the detriment of platformmates like the Taurus (which will be axed altogether in North America).

Ford can't afford to screw this up and it looks like they're both evolving the current look that has been so popular with buyers while moving the product back to a RWD platform (albeit, going with a unibody rather than BoF architecture). This should help the Explorer's popularity with both enthusiasts and law enforcement officials, even if it will likely go under-noticed by ordinary retail customers who just want a solid family-hauler and grocery-getter.

Of course, all of this makes one wonder: Should GM eventually follow suit?

Aside from the next generation of Explorer, there is likely to be a next generation of Durango; which has surprisingly remained popular despite it's aging appearance. GM has sunk a lot of money into the regular- and extended-sized C1XX platform. It's significantly better than the Lambda platform it replaces. And yet, GM has seemingly had little-to-no success with the previous generation of the Traverse among law enforcement or government officials (whether that's due to poor marketing, lack of vision, or innate hampered capability due to its platform).

Whatever GM decides to do, one thing is abundantly clear: GM should not allow the current raft of C1XX products to languish as they did the previous Lambda triplets; nor should GM permit these products to suffer dynamically or technologically. If GM stays on top of appropriate refreshes and meaningful updates, it arguably makes no difference at all what kind of platform underpins this segment of products.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 11-24-2018 at 11:44 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet and Dodge

A bit of Chevrolet Traverse peeking through don't you think? That's not a bad thing because the new Traverse is a good looking CUV.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 3,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    The news is a few days old, but didn't see it anywhere on GMI.

The current Explorer has been a huge hit for Ford -- both with retail customers and government agencies/law enforcement. Despite straying from a BoF architecture and moving to a version of the D4 platform (which itself was based on the quasi-Volvo derived D3 architecture), it has won lots of accolades; to the detriment of platformmates like the Taurus (which will be axed altogether in North America).

Ford can't afford to screw this up and it looks like they're both evolving the current look that has been so popular with buyers while moving the product back to a RWD platform (albeit, going with a unibody rather than BoF architecture). This should help the Explorer's popularity with both enthusiasts and law enforcement officials, even if it will likely go under-noticed by ordinary retail customers who just want a solid family-hauler and grocery-getter.

Of course, all of this makes one wonder: Should GM eventually follow suit?

Aside from the next generation of Explorer, there is likely to be a next generation of Durango; which has surprisingly remained popular despite it's aging appearance. GM has sunk a lot of money into the regular- and extended-sized C1XX platform. It's significantly better than the Lambda platform it replaces. And yet, GM has seemingly had little-to-no success with the previous generation of the Traverse among law enforcement or government officials (whether that's due to poor marketing, lack of vision, or innate hampered capability due to its platform).

Whatever GM decides to do, one thing is abundantly clear: GM should not allow the current raft of C1XX products to languish as they did the previous Lambda triplets; nor should GM permit these products to suffer dynamically or technologically. If GM stays on top of appropriate refreshes and meaningful updates, it arguably makes no difference at all what kind of platform underpins this segment of products.
    Lambda was never offered to law Enforcement, that is the Tahoe PPV

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo

The grille is pretty meh, but the rest of the package should be good with RWD.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DequindreToo For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

It can be RWD all it wants, but it better have a flat floor for soccer mother

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (11-26-2018)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I say no to RWD because not everyone can afford the AWD/4wd options and a FWD is still good in bad weather. Also the raised floors and the high trunk is also a big no. To me it looks like Ford stuck the new CRV front end on the old Explorer. Not a fan of this at all. The current one looks in some trims like a Land Rover wanna be which is far better looking then this.
    Last edited by Brglotus; 11-24-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,125 Times in 1,709 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Traverse is way better looking.
    This is uninspired and lame.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm sure it will stomp a mud hole in everything else in the segment and then stop it dry given what amounts to the Explorer on Mustang bones chassis. Well, at least until the new Grand Cherokee comes out. But, I wish it looked as good as it will likely drive.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,466 Times in 2,268 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Just me but I think there's a lot of Ford Territory in this, of course it's not but still familiar.

I think Ford has chosen style over functionality by curving the rear roof down too much,
    it will make a third row prety cramped and I'm not thrilled by the nose treatment, it's too much.

Having said that, Ford will probably sell tons of them and we'll all look like empty whingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Brglotus View Post
    I say no to RWD because not everyone can afford the AWD/4wd options and a FWD is still good in bad weather. Also the raised floors and the high trunk is also a big no. To me it looks like Ford stuck the new CRV front end on the old Explorer. Not a fan of this at all. The current one looks in some trims like a Land Rover wanna be which is far better looking then this.
    The battle of AWD was won years ago, most Explorers sold are AWD, I think RWD will encourage more buyers to check the AWD box - exactly what Ford wants.

I think the Ecoboost engines in the new RWD Explorer will now come to the fore and become huge selling point,
    the 3.3 V6 Hybrid will be an interesting addition...
    Last edited by jpd80; 11-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (11-26-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I know and it was a tragedy that it wasn't offered. I can remember posts in the past opining that GM should have offered a version of the Traverse (or, arguably, the Acadia) to law enforcement. Even with the Tahoe on the table, they should have matched Ford (and Dodge's) own offerings to have a greater variety to offer government entities. While the Tahoe is capable, it is thirsty and might be "overkill" for many departments out there that might be cost and/or "perception" conscious (I can just imagine living in some states/cities and hearing it from residents that you're driving a hulking Tahoe to patrol when a Crown Vic Interceptor was sufficient only a few years back).

Does anyone know if GM is/will offer the current Traverse for police duty?

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,466 Times in 2,268 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Remember the timing, GM was doing everything to get out of fleet sales save for lucrative Tahoe LEV
    and maybe Caprice.. Ford pivoted with FWD/AWD taurus/Explorer and kept it near 65% of LEV sales
    while police depts moved en masse from CVPI to Explorer PIU.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I know and it was a tragedy that it wasn't offered. I can remember posts in the past opining that GM should have offered a version of the Traverse (or, arguably, the Acadia) to law enforcement. Even with the Tahoe on the table, they should have matched Ford (and Dodge's) own offerings to have a greater variety to offer government entities. While the Tahoe is capable, it is thirsty and might be "overkill" for many departments out there that might be cost and/or "perception" conscious (I can just imagine living in some states/cities and hearing it from residents that you're driving a hulking Tahoe to patrol when a Crown Vic Interceptor was sufficient only a few years back).

Does anyone know if GM is/will offer the current Traverse for police duty?
    GM is trying to limit fleet sales and have largely succeed in keeping volume while reducing fleet sales.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Why bother a billion dollar longitudinal platform if it looks cheap?
    Last edited by birdsvsworms88; 11-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Just me but I think there's a lot of Ford Territory in this, of course it's not but still familiar.

I think Ford has chosen style over functionality by curving the rear roof down too much,
    it will make a third row prety cramped and I'm not thrilled by the nose treatment, it's too much.

Supposedly both the second and third rows are larger than in the existing Explorer by a meaningful margin. Interestingly, the rwd platform itself is what is being credited with the increased room. And I got the distinct impression it was actually the platform itself, and not the size of the vehicle itself, to which they are crediting the increased room. Yeah, it seems odd to me too at first glance. But, maybe they just packaged CD6 better? That wouldn't be too difficult to believe given how cobbled the current platform is.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-27-2018),DequindreToo (11-25-2018)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information