2012 Toyota Camry - Media First Drive Reviews

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Toyota Camry - Media First Drive Reviews

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

2012 Toyota Camry - Media First Drive Reviews

Insideline

2012 Toyota Camry First Drive
    Upgrading the Apple Cart

Redesigning a perennial top seller like the Toyota Camry is tricky business. Of course it needs to look new every few years, but never radically so. The sort of bold styling tactic employed by some of the Camry's competitors lately would not do here, nor is it necessary.

Toyota is only playing catch-up with itself because, recent PR difficulties aside, the Camry was still the top-selling car at the end of 2010, a feat it may yet repeat again in 2011.

And so the new 2012 Toyota Camry stays true to the proven Camry formula. In fact its major exterior dimensions, things like overall length, width, height and the relative position of its tires, remain exactly as before.

Before you begin that eye roll, remember that Honda took some flak when it puffed out the Accord to full-size proportions, and that was some months before gas prices shot up and smaller cars got popular. Staying same-sized in this segment looks like a genius move today.

But staying same-sized doesn't mean everything on the 2012 Toyota Camry has remained frozen, because it hasn't — especially the important stuff.

Looks Like a...Camry
    Spy photos seen previously depict a familiar profile, but in person the tension in the new creases and squarer edges make the 2012 Toyota Camry look less puffy, more toned and eager. Someone nearby swore they saw faint hints of Acura TSX — the good one — while another suggested this is how the new Subaru Legacy should have looked.

But there is function in the Camry's new form. A revised roof profile near the top of the windshield improves the view out. We now stare out the center of the windscreen instead of ducking below the tint band like last year — this despite zero change in front headroom, which was never the problem anyway.

A flatter rear roof line improves rear-seat headroom by 0.3 inch, while that squarer door opening enhances rear-seat access. There's more legroom in back, too (0.6 inch, they say), on account of revised front seatback sculpting.

More at link above.

CarandDriver

2012 Toyota Camry - First Drive Review
    More luxury and more mpg for America's most popular car.

Since 1997, the Toyota Camry has been the best selling car in America every year but one (2001). Last year, Americans bought 327,804 of them. Furthermore, the Camry platform serves as the foundation for the following Toyota and Lexus models: Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, Venza, ES350, RX350, and RX450h. Collectively, they added up to 738,415 sales in 2010—42 percent of To*yota’s American total. In other words, the Camry is the franchise.

Toyota has renewed this car like clockwork every five years, and the Camry has achieved an enviable position as the default mainstream sedan of choice—quiet, smooth, comfortable, reliable, and affordably priced. This new, seventh-generation, 2012 model is designed to maintain these virtues while offering more fuel efficiency and value.

Though Camry chief engineer Yukihiro Okane doesn’t say it, Toyota was perhaps embarrassed by losing out in mpg ratings to competitors, specifically the Ford Fusion hybrid and the Hyundai Sonata. Okane promises that this new model—with every engine—will at least tie for leadership in fuel-economy figures.

The base four-cylinder is now rated at 25 mpg city and 35 highway—up 3 mpg each. The V-6 is up 1 mpg each to 21/30. And the new hybrid LE leaps from 31/35 to 43/39 mpg, bettering the Fusion’s 41/36 ratings. The four-cylinder-only strategy used by competitors Hyundai and Kia doesn’t work for the Camry, as most of  its spinoffs require a V-6.

More at link above.

MotorTrend

First Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry
    Playing it Safe for Sales Supremacy

Is the 2012 Toyota Camry new and special enough to vanquish the Hyundai Sonata? Is the SE model a poor man's sport sedan? Is Toyota's rebound in J.D. Power & Associates' initial quality rankings, and the company's vindication over specious unintended acceleration claims, enough to warrant purchase consideration? Do you experience headaches, dizziness, or nausea when driven swiftly in a sports car?

If you've answered, "Well, heck, yes!" to any of these questions, get ready for a quiz in which we determine whether you'd notice an all-new seventh-generation model if it used your driveway for a U-turn.

Here are some study materials: Camrys traditionally run two cycles on one platform, and this is Act II of the current architecture. Same wheelbase, and about the same overall length. The engines are carryover, with enough efficiency improvements to ensure that, when EPA completes testing, the Camry four, hybrid, and V-6 all will be best, or tied for best, in class. Toyota replaced its 2.4-liter four in the Camry with the 2.5 in the '10 model year, and for '12, the hybrid model gets the larger gas engine, too.

More at link above

Autoblog

2012 Toyota Camry
    Patron-Saint Of Mid-Sizers Gets Massaged

Toyota has manufactured and sold 15 million Camry models across 100 countries since it debuted way back in 1983. It's a number that's nearly unfathomable. If all of those polite four-doors were still roaming the earth, there'd be one for every man, woman and child in Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C. combined, and you'd still have a almost a million vehicles left over. Even more eye-widening is Toyota's claim that of the Camry models built and sold over the last 15 years, 90 percent are still happily enduring a daily commute on nearly every corner of the planet. By sheer volume and longevity, the Camry is nothing short of an engineering and manufacturing wonder.

Almost by default, the Camry has grown to become the vehicle by which all other mid-sized creations must measure themselves, and over the past two years, Ford, Hyundai, Kia and Volkswagen have unveiled products designed specifically to lure buyers from the Toyota model's swollen ranks. In response, Toyota City has turned out the seventh-generation Camry – a model that's been altered with blink-and-you'll-miss-it delicacy. But as millions of current Camry owners will tell you, that may not be a bad thing.

Catch the 2012 Toyota Camry from the corner of your eye and chances are good you'll have a hard time telling it from its predecessor. The latest generation carries itself with dimensions identical to the 2011 model. Total length, wheelbase, width and height are all carried-over dimensions, resulting in a familiar profile. Even so, the company's engineers and designers have cloaked the sedan in entirely new sheetmetal from stem to stern. A completely new nose incorporates a refreshed headlight design with an integrated chrome grille. The assembly splays from fender to fender with the goal of giving the vehicle the impression of greater width without actually stretching the model's track.

More at link above

Automobile

Autoguide:
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-23-2011 at 12:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,931 Posts

Re: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry

Nice Interior.

The new Malibu seems to have a very similar overall shape.

"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry

Autoblog is claiming their well equipped SE V-6 weighed in at 3420 lbs and that depending upon the trim/engine pairing that weight is down up to 150 lbs. Not bad, but we'll see if it gets the high safety ratings it needs. By comparison, Hyundai Sonata 2.0Ts range from 3338 to 3452 pounds, as per their site.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Re: 2012 Toyota Camry - Media First Drive Reviews

It looks like Subary Legacy to me. Meh.

The fact: every hour 37 American people would buy this car, almost one car every two minutes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

They'll sell a ton of these............food for thought........I have a friend who operates a major transmission shop. In his 12 years he has never had to rebuild an automatic tranny on a camry. I'm not sure if any other midsize car can claim that .
    Last edited by hunchman; 08-23-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Taurus SHO White

Toyota is still offering V6 in the Camry. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Most of competing models are ditching V6s for turbo 4s.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

I have a hard time believing that 90% of the past 15 model year Camry's are still on the road.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Plain, boring, nothing outstanding...People are sheep.

There are definitely not "90%" on the road where I live. And most are just taxis anyway. Who wants to own a taxi? ;-)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

i just don't understand the design language or the asthetic appeal of the sheetmetal. Toyota designs are so weirdly unattractive.

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    They'll sell a ton of these............food for thought........I have a friend who operates a major transmission shop. In his 12 years he has never had to rebuild an automatic tranny on a camry. I'm not sure if any other midsize car can claim that .
    My former father-in-law's Camry had the trans rebuilt twice in 100,000 miles. Food for thought.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    My former father-in-law's Camry had the trans rebuilt twice in 100,000 miles. Food for thought.
    Man that's too bad ...you'd think after the first rebuild he would have learned.

Thanks

A stuck WOT caused the trans to break thereby crashing them into the woods. Don't worry, they're out there.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,294 Times in 3,954 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Autoblog is claiming their well equipped SE V-6 weighed in at 3420 lbs and that depending upon the trim/engine pairing that weight is down up to 150 lbs. Not bad, but we'll see if it gets the high safety ratings it needs. By comparison, Hyundai Sonata 2.0Ts range from 3338 to 3452 pounds, as per their site.
    Wow, light. Our 200 is right about 3600. More road-hugging weight.

Ask him for some stats.

Anecdotal, but nothing to sneeze at fershur.

Quote Originally Posted by Darc Requiem View Post
    Toyota is still offering V6 in the Camry. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Most of competing models are ditching V6s for turbo 4s.
    You could conceivably see an uptick in V6 sales among the survivors, since the field will be thinned out considerably within a couple of years.

Given the performance specs of a Camry V6, I'd consider one.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

If quality and reliability hold up, I think the new Malibu has a real shot at being Camry's toughest competitor.

A lot will depend on ratings when comparison tests come out. I'm sure GM will get hold of a Camry to rate it against the Malibu and will still have time for some minor improvements if needed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

The Exterior is slightly better than the previous one but its the interior to me that shows the best improvement.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information