What Would You Ask a GM Exec? 10 Questions I'll Take to NAIAS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Ask a GM Exec? 10 Questions I'll Take to NAIAS

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

What Would You Ask a GM Exec? 10 Questions I'll Take to NAIAS

It's long been a dream of mine to go to the Detroit Auto show, see the excitement first-hand, and ask a string of burning questions with the hope of getting one or two that might shed some light on something new.

Asking details about concept cars on display to show people in Houston is often met with puzzled looks, or as in the case of the Pontiac G6 I saw introduced some years back (that for some reason had an empty engine bay or something similar), I'd get responses that most people on this forum who are in the know would go slack-jawed at like "I think it's going to have a 3.8L V6". And that's coming from the "expert" that was called in by someone who was clearly baffled by my list of questions and quickly scurried away.

In short, asking questions at the Houston show was about as productive as asking questions about as yet unreleased E85 Impala trim levels to uninterested salesman who just wants to get me into one of a line of new Tahoes sitting on his lot.

All that changes this year. I'm headed to the Detoit Auto Show.

Best of all, I'll be there during Press Days, representing GMInsidenews.com.

I take the responsibility seriously, and barring any unforeseen problems with my airplane or having them deny me entrance at the door (that's taken care of, NSAP assures me ), I'll be there in under a week, with access, I hope, to ask the kinds of questions that we care about. Oh, and I'll take a ton of photos, too, of course.

So rather than go in there myself and ask about things that interest me, or pose next to car models with a silly grin, I want to give you guys a chance to come up with some really good questions to ask.

When I say 'good' I mean that questions like "When is the new Firebird coming out!?!" are likely to be dismissed with a smile and a "we don't discuss future product, but thanks for asking" --- so I'm hoping you all can come up with some questions (to add to my own) that are things a GM Exec actually can answer.

I promise to find someone at the show to ask 10 of the best questions here, and more if there are a whole bunch of good ones. I can't promise the best answers, but I'll try.

So as the thread title asks: What would you ask a GM Exec?

If the question is good enough, you may get your chance!
    Last edited by Ming; 01-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: What Would You Ask a GM Exec? 10 Questions I'll Take to NAIAS

When (or if ever) is a Dual clutch sequential transmission going to be offered on GM's performance products?

when (or if ever) is direct injection going to be offered in the LS3 motor?

Will GM even consider a wide body with wider wheels and tires be offered on the base C6 coupe and convertible?

Fwiw.....I think the wide body base coupe and convertible would sell without incentives.. for years to come...

thanks and if these questions are not appropriate to ask I totally understand but if they are....give them a shot.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

My question, Since leasing is gone why are the financing payments on the vehicals have to be so high?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,322 Times in 4,563 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Ask if a stick could be included on all models - even flip of what it used to be in the past - make it an extra cost option (though I'd prefer it to be less than an automatic).

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iloveGM View Post
    My question, Since leasing is gone why are the financing payments on the vehicals have to be so high?
    Because you're paying for the full price of the vehicle. Leasing only pays for the part you use.

If you're asking why interest rates are so high, a GM exec will tell you the same thing anyone on here will, they have to recoup their losses.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC buildacariwant's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    TOWN CAR WRX EXPLORER V8

Heres a few....

Can we have a affordable modern FWD sports sedan with a manual without compromises and excuses?

Why are you afraid to take Caddy upmarket and give some breathing room for buick?

Why isnt buick what acura is to honda? (I'm sure its more a more profitable set-up...want to get exclusive platforms, move up to caddy)

Can you just kill Saturn already?

How about a fire sale for Saab while your at it?

Why havent you figured out customers love the heritage nameplates?

Did you really have to destroy Pontiac?
    gone but not forgetten: 77 grand prix, 70 buick estate wagon, 90 eldorado, 07 si sedan

no manual = not on the shopping list...Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

When will the Aveo finally be replaced by an allnew car?
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

ahhhh MING! How long I've waited for someone to ask that question. Off the top of my head here are ten very blunt questions.

1.) Why are you just NOW getting back into serious design of interiors? My 97 Sunfire is a Tupperware extravaganza (lets not even mention the radio/hvac controls). Why did it ever get that bad in the first place? People spend more time IN a vehicle than looking AT it!

2.) Why did you so heavily invest in Saturn if you had NO IDEA to do with the brand? And while we're at it, why did you change direction with Saturn? You had a good thing going. People knew what Saturns were supposed to be about. Opel products could have been swept to other divisions... Astra to Pontiac, etc.

2 a.) Why didn't you ever release a Saturn Aura Red Line - a real shame

3.) How much longer until you do something with the Colorado/Canyon? They need help now inside and out.

4.) I know this one won't fly with our current economy, but are you going to do a Z-28 package on the Camaro? If so when?

5.) Why weren't the "triplets" considered for American markets when you clearly aimed advertising dollars at us, and let Michael Bay use them in Transformers 2?

6.) Why was the Astra de-contented for US delivery? Do you think Americans won't spend more money on an import even if it is GM?

7.) Explain why we won't be seeing a Camaro rebadge/sheetmetal change for a Pontiac Firebird / TA - something the brand desparately needs to keep street cred....

8.) Why don't you invest in adding navi and other "next gen technologies" to more GM products (even if it has to be at a higher price point and completely optional to recoup your costs)? It makes GM look considerably bad to the entry level demographic. P.S. - only offering Onstar isn't going to cut it.

9.) Does China now dictate design to Buick NA? Why are we not seeing future Buick vehicles that look more like the Enclave and Velite (one of your best concepts ever done)?

10.) Was bringing out a crossover for SAAB really the smart thing to do right now with that brand? Shouldn't the focus have been on the core vehicles? All of that development money have should have gone into revamping the ancient 9-5. It is embarrassing.
    Last edited by camaro_freak; 01-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 nascarnate326's Avatar
    Thanks

Will the Z/28 name return to show rooms in the next 3 years?

Will you just kill Pontiac...please?

Why was the EV1 program ditched?

What is your favorite muscle car?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Why has GM dropped the ball and not even shown up late to the game in offering AWD in many of its "popular" sedan models (G6, G8, Malibu, Impala, etc...) when all of their competitors have been doing this type of thing for the last few years?

Or in other words, Why is GM so afraid of AWD in their car-based vehicles?

Why has there been a switch in corporate views of how Pontiac and Saturn are viewed? When Saturn began the models were identified in an alpha-numeric moniker and Pontiac was name based. Saturns were known for cheaper made vehicles that had no pizazz while Pontiacs had their "excitement". Today, Pontiacs are blatant rebadges and identified by a "G" and number while Saturns have interesting names and sporty looks. This just seems like a monumental waste of advertising and marketing resources in a world that has not been kind to the auto industry for a little over a year now.

Why can GM not see the potential of the Hummer brand competing when Jeep has an extremely strong backing?

Does GM REALY need Saab that bad that it isn't sold off immediately?

Why has GM outright and openly given up on brands in North America like Buick and Pontiac?
    Last edited by PontiacBixler; 01-04-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 96_impala_ss's Avatar
    Thanks

When will the current Impala be replaced with another body style, and what wheels will drive the car?

Why hasnt the Opel Insignia made its way to the States?

Why hasnt the Saturn Astra been advertised?
    Hidden Content

The price of having hope is sometimes disappointment, but the price of having no hope is always failure - Immortal Technique

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Can I have a job designing and approving car designs? Could do a much better job than they do now.

Thanks

I think some may have missed this in the opening post, but as Ming has stated, GM won't comment on future product, so there's no point in asking.

Ming, when will you close this thread? I'd like to think about this some and come up with more solid questions.
    Family garage:
    '06 Nissan Altima 3.5SL (me/dad)
    '04 Nissan Maxima 3.5SL (mom/sister)
    '09 Buick Enclave CXL FWD (grandparents) Hidden Content
    '95 Cadillac DeVille (spare)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    When will the Aveo finally be replaced by an allnew car?
    I can answer that. June 2011 ive read, right after cruze in april
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "I used to drive a Toyota, I gave it to my mother-in-law"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by jmlee0695 View Post
    I can answer that. June 2011 ive read, right after cruze in april

Really thats news to me, I hope not more Korean crap.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information