What if GM still had a John Z. DeLorean? - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What if GM still had a John Z. DeLorean?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Engelman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10ZR1/'13 XTS/'15 Escalade/

Re: What if GM still had a John Z. DeLorean?

He'd be 94 years old.........
    Jake

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engelman For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (11-01-2019),yello430 (11-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    He'd be 94 years old.........
    That's why the thread is titled "What if GM still had a John Z. DeLorean" and not "What if GM still had John Z. DeLorean." Sometimes the smallest words in a sentence carry the most significance...
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,404 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Is there no demand because the products aren't there to spark desire or are there no products which spark desire because there is no demand?
    I think there is LITTLE DEMAND partly because the price of EVERYTHING is so high NOT just CARS but education / RENT utilities ETC that people have LITTLE "discretionary" cash
    and add in the "environment" people drive in now days - USA is WAY more urban than it ever was and traffic is worse not to mention the CONDITION of most roads

taking a "wider" picture I think the INTEREST is still there with young people - just look to the DIESEL "brodozer" pickups OR the "drift" scene both strong in the young MALE demographic
    go on facebook and look up various "car clubs"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-01-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Times change - and so do products and consumer desires, wants and needs. I’m often amazed at the number of posts regarding, “the good old days” - and how things would be better now if we returned to the past. Not going to happen.
    I agree with your first sentence. The second, not so much. I'm not amazed at all that some yearn for the good old days. Defining what they were is where opinions diverge. There was always an appeal (to me) from full size sedans with full size big blocks from the mid to late 1960s. Haul four or five people with you and still appreciate the response when you buried the gas pedal. Not enough appeal to make me actually buy one though.

I have always preferred smaller, sportier cars with a minimum of superfluous options and government mandated features. I was more than happy with manual transmissions (actually faster acceleration back then) manual window cranks, manual seat adjusters, non-power steering, manual choke, and believe it or not, no air conditioning. Such vehicles were the epitome of simplicity and light weight. Have a problem? Well, check fuel, spark and compression and you were back on the road.

Were they superior to modern vehicles? Of course not. Handling, braking, and safety were more of an art than a science in the 60s and 70s. So what's the draw? To me at least, styling and dare I say it? Soul. No, not Neanderthal's car. An intangible feeling of connection to pure, unpretentious simplicity. This is also the reason I've always preferred Chevrolets over other GM brands. Clean styling and no extra clutter. That all began to change in the early to mid 70s. I got to live through the dark era of government mandated bumpers, lower power, and horrific emissions systems that took the fun out of driving.

Fortunately, things began to get better performance wise in the mid 80s and is now at it's pinnacle. Styling? Better, but I don't believe it's possible to reach what was I consider the height of design. Back in the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Yes. And the trend is the trend, what's in is what's in and I don't think even a DeLorean could change that a lot. But a lot of these utes handle pretty well, as well as or better than the sedans of yore. The number of performance drivers has never been a high percentage, at least probably since the late '70s, so you're not going to sell "excitement." You're going to sell utility with very decent to excellent performance.

I have a fun exciting car. You don't need two doors and 20" high seats to make excitement.
    The trend is indeed what it is. No doubt about that. However, I still can't get excited by CUVs. A lot of them perform very well given their constraints but I still believe their main attribute is utility. Everyone and their brother, and my wife, has a crossover so I simply don't need (or want) one. Do I need a Camaro? No. Do I want one?

Perfomance is partly perspective. I'm sure a new Camry would embarrass my past 1967 and 72 Camaros. Probably would win out over my 88 IROC too although that would be a lot tougher fight. But then would a 1967 Camry do as well? I think not, and it wouldn't matter anyway. It's all relative.

Thing about that low ride height. A go kart feels much faster doing 60 mph than a full size pickup. Perception. I don't need four doors since the rear seat will never be used. Except perhaps to hide a nitrous bottle.

I like low semi little cars that look the part. I just can't help it.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-01-2019),The Handler (11-01-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,666 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

IF GM still had a DeLorean we'd have SUV'S and CUV'S with his passion and what he stood for I guess, along with the greats like the new Corvette... maybe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 681 Posts

Cars are increasingly falling out of pop culture favor, especially with millennials.. Simply put, they just don't care.. Those cars weren't relevant to their lives. They didn't grow up with interesting cars, and the Accords, Camry's and Mitsubishi Eclipses they did grow up with simply didn't inspire much passion, at least not compared to the stunningly styled fire breathing iron from Detroit we had from 1950s and 1960s.. They're more interested in the latest iPhone than any automobile, and as a result, car museums are going the way of the dodo bird.

Guys like John Z and Bob Lutz probably have no place in todays automobile manufacturer executive suites.
    Last edited by bmwboy2007; 11-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-02-2019),The Handler (11-01-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    16 ATS 3.6 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    Cars are increasingly falling out of pop culture favor, especially with millennials.. Simply put, they just don't care.. Those cars weren't relevant to their lives. They didn't grow up with interesting cars, and the Accords, Camry's and Mitsubishi Eclipses they did grow up with simply didn't inspire much passion, at least not compared to the stunningly styled fire breathing iron from Detroit we had from 1950s and 1960s.. They're more interested in the latest iPhone than any automobile, and as a result, car museums are going the way of the dodo bird.

Guys like John Z and Bob Lutz probably have no place in todays automobile manufacturer executive suites.
    It will be interesting to see what the collector car market is like in 20 years! Will the bottom fall out?
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,666 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the collector car market is like in 20 years! Will the bottom fall out?
    Or even farther into time. Will they be after these SUV's and things? I think not. Unless it is for the dream vehicle niche products by Porsche and such.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Engelman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10ZR1/'13 XTS/'15 Escalade/

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    That's why the thread is titled "What if GM still had a John Z. DeLorean" and not "What if GM still had John Z. DeLorean." Sometimes the smallest words in a sentence carry the most significance...
    I know, I got it. I was just trying to add a little levity to the thread....and at my age............
    Jake

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Engelman For This Useful Post:

yello430 (11-06-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

What isn't surprising is that most of the buyers want a V8 - some of these trucks are so loaded down with equipment/parts that a lesser engine probably can barely move them.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information