Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ? - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ?

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Re: Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerna View Post
    Sweepspeare on a Chevy? Besides that, I really like the Cruze coupe shots. I hope it not only happens, but the production model is similar to these chops.
    Thanks, but technically it isn't a sweepspear, it's a coke bottle 'hip" like the 67 Impala had...

The chrome accent line below is a true sweepspear, and should be a line that curves 'down' from the front of the vehicle and then curves up and over the rear wheel. If the accent line on my Cobalt curved down to the beginning of the arching curve up over the rear wheel it would be a sweepspear. But as a straight line and then the separate arching line over the rear wheel it's just a 'hip' line

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

I quite like the intermediate 3/4 design with the less-pronounced rear. There is a Lexus IS/BMW/Aston Martin-ish stance about that's uber cool. No one would ever roll up and guess that it's a Chevrolet.

For those pragmatists maintaining that a performance coupe would be low-volume, this design would seem to be a safe bet for the unwashed masses:

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Having wheel flares in the factory design should be a must.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 12’ Infiniti M37S
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Thanks, but technically it isn't a sweepspear, it's a coke bottle 'hip" like the 67 Impala had...
    I don't care what it is... I love it! The 'Safe' design shown above is nice and all... but it simply doesn't screm 'Buy Me' like Monaro's does.. I'd actually be happy to finance one of those and make the payments with interest. The 'safe' coupe for the masses I'd probably just skip on and look for something a little more sophisticated and edgy. Like Monaro's car. C'mon GM, don't let Ford do this first!

The regular Cruze coming out looks like a crappy 90's Chevy by comparison. Unfortunately... I want my BMW inspired Chevrolet!!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I have suggested the same thing before, so I love the idea. I really can't see the Cruze being morphed into a slick looking coupe. I think a separate coupe line with its own unique exterior design is a great idea. I do have to admit that I have never been fond of the "Cobalt" name, though. I think "Monza" would work just fine.

I think the coupe is a must. A convertible might be stretching it a bit, although I remember that a couple of generations of the Cavalier had a convertible version; so it may be feasible. I also suggested spinning off a 3-door wagon or shooting brake version of this car (Monza Nomad), but I doubt that it would go over very well (although I think it's an interesting concept).

If I were Chevrolet, I would expand the Cruze line by adding either a 5-door hatchback or wagon; basically, a version with a bit more utility. The Monza coupe (and possibly convertible) would be a low volume specialty line of its own. The 2 lines would share the same basic platform, but nothing else.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC wilwrk4tls's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely stunning renderings. If that styling was ever put into that segment it would walk away with sales, guaranteed. Especially with a performance model offered. I would just bump the SS nameplate to the SS-R since the SSR has been done, but absolutely beautiful car. I wish I could do such renderings...
    "Quality products create customer enthusiasm"; it should be "Exciting products create customer enthusiasm. Quality products create customer loyalty."

Past
    '84 Subaru DL Wagon, '86 Mazda 626 GT Turbo, '81 Honda Accord, '80 Honda CX500, '84 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk, '83 Honda Accord Hatchback, '93 Saturn SL, '98 Pontiac GranDam, '97 Toyota Camry Wagon, '03 Hyundai Tiburon
    Present
    '00 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (daily),93 GMC Sierra W/T (320K!), '00 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (dead trans)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I quite like the intermediate 3/4 design with the less-pronounced rear. There is a Lexus IS/BMW/Aston Martin-ish stance about that's uber cool. No one would ever roll up and guess that it's a Chevrolet.

For those pragmatists maintaining that a performance coupe would be low-volume, this design would seem to be a safe bet for the unwashed masses:

I think a coupish style 4 door could serve the sporting needs of the masses....

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC andretti2008's Avatar
    Thanks

First off what's the big deal with using SS-R for a car now? that ugly thing/truck didn't sell in mass numbers and wasn't pushed in ads strong enough for ppl to even remember the darn thing!

IMO- if the styling/fit and finish is second to none in this cat. then SS-R would work. It will allow Chevy to further its assault against the R's from Nissan, the Speed's from Mazda, and Honda's Type R. It would be a fresh offering from a brand that is hardly known in this arena. Plus younger ppl IMO younger ppl could care less about a name considering what excitement this could bring.

With that being said I think this is what Chevy needs (we need to stop saying what GM needs we don't say Honda motor company when refering to Acura) allow Chevy to stand own its own as a brand.

I hope this post comes out right cause I didn't proof read, sending from my blackberry?!?
    Buick LaCrosse CXS Hidden Content

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andretti2008 View Post
    First off what's the big deal with using SS-R for a car now? that ugly thing/truck didn't sell in mass numbers and wasn't pushed in ads strong enough for ppl to even remember the darn thing!

IMO- if the styling/fit and finish is second to none in this cat. then SS-R would work. It will allow Chevy to further its assault against the R's from Nissan, the Speed's from Mazda, and Honda's Type R. It would be a fresh offering from a brand that is hardly known in this arena. Plus younger ppl IMO younger ppl could care less about a name considering what excitement this could bring.

With that being said I think this is what Chevy needs (we need to stop saying what GM needs we don't say Honda motor company when refering to Acura) allow Chevy to stand own its own as a brand.

I hope this post comes out right cause I didn't proof read, sending from my blackberry?!?
    I happen to agree with that. I don't think the target market for the Cobalt SS-R would even think about or care about the SSR truck. Chevy needs to get on the radar screen of new young buyers who unfortunately are mostly into sporty Japanese FWD coupes and AWD rally cars. And now with ‘Drifting’ the older RWD Japanese coupes are still trendy.

But if Chevy used the Haldex AWD on this, with it being able to send all the power to the rear wheels, then it could be a drift coupe too. The fact that it has more weight over the front wheels than a typical RWD only is actually good for Drifting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walkerna View Post
    Sweepspeare on a Chevy? Besides that, I really like the Cruze coupe shots. I hope it not only happens, but the production model is similar to these chops.
    Didn't the 1969 Camaro have 2 sweapspears on each side?
    1966 Corvair Corsa

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

My thoughts:
    Wow! Monaro SS has hit it right on the mark. I could go on, but Wow sums it up.
    The car should be considered a Cruze for reporting purposes just as Toyota rolls Solara numbers in with Camry when reporting sales and,
    SSR would be a good model designator. Few people know of the truck like original and, even those who do will "forgive" its use here.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    Oh - one more thing - thanks for including the Buick Skylark photo. Now, that's a Skylark!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    Using the SS-R name will never work. People will always associate it with the retro-styled GMT370 based roadsters.
    But before the SS-R roadster-pickup, GM made the SS concept --- a 4-door coupe-like concept Chevy vehicle ---- that many of the luxury brands have seemed to aped in overall styling?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post

I think a coupish style 4 door could serve the sporting needs of the masses....

I wish the actual production Cruze sedan looked more like this picture. I would actually consider it if it looked like that.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masospaghetti View Post
    I think its a great idea to have the coupe-based Cruze be called the Cobalt. The Cobalt Coupe has a very strong following - the Cobalt sedan did not.

I'm sure they could name it in such a way to have both Cruze/Cobalt be considered under the same sales total.
    i second that
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 12’ Infiniti M37S
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Walking
    Thanks

I'll take mine with a turbo!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information