Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ? - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ?

Walking
    Thanks

Re: Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe, Convertible and SS-R ?

Looks great! How about "Monza"?

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Want a next gen Cobalt Coupe
    Convertible and SS-R ?

CLICK FOR LARGER VIEW

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
    GMI Contributor – 7 May 2010

Many people have asked for a long time why there is no Cruze Coupe and many have proposed and rendered Cruze Coupes, myself included. However I have wonder for a while now whether a Cruze Coupe is the wrong way to go. So when GMI Member Z284ever asked the question of whether Chevy will soon need a sporty little coupe in the $18-$25K range I started to rehash some old ideas on the concept.

I would be interested in what the members here think of my thoughts on the topic of what Chevy should field in the lower priced sport coupe arena. We all know they are strong in the higher end with the legendary Corvette and Camaro, but GM has not historically done small well. Although one has to say that the Cobalt Coupe has a reasonable following.

So this is why I think there should not be a Cruze Coupe but a dedicated 'Cruze based' SWB coupe with all unique sheet metal called the Cobalt. This would give Chevrolet a three-pronged attack across the sports coupe range with the Cobalt being entry level, then the Camaro taking up the larger muscle coupe fight, with the Corvette as the King Hit against the opposition makers.

I envision this next generation Cobalt to have FWD/AWD with engines ranging from the frugal Turbo 1.4 @ 130hp through a SIDI 2.4 @ 200hp, Turbo DI 2.0 @ 270hp and the powerhouse being a Turbo DI 2.2 with 340hp. It would use a sports version of the Cruze interior and come in coupe and ragtop convertible. AWD would be available across the range but only AWD for the two larger turbo engines, with the exceptions of special order FWD SS-R's with strengthened racing transmissions for club racing in FWD categories.

While the Cobalt Coupe would range from $18K-$25K with various interior and lesser engine options, the Cobalt Convertible could range up to $35K with a full kitted leather interior, AWD and 2.0 Turbo. The 340hp SS-R 2.2 Turbo could range up to a similar price or higher with racing options like full roll cage, carbon fibre racing seats, ceramic brakes etc.

CLICK FOR LARGER VIEW

I think that the Cruze Sedan, while it is going to be accepted and a reasonable success in the market place, is just a little too pedestrian for a simple Coupe version. By separating out a specific dedicated sports coupe based upon the Cruze, Chevrolet can better target its design and appeal to hopefully hit another home run like the Camaro. So should Chevrolet make it a 1, 2, 3 sports coupe punch with Corvette, Camaro and Cobalt? What do you think and why?

BTW. Here's the Cruze Sedan for comparison.....

EDIT: Here's ne_one's posted chop below (I don't know who did it but thanks to them - if anyone knows who they are I'll credit them here) with some quick and dirty changes to show basically what my Cobalt Coupe would look like 3/4's...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS Pewte

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post

As far as introducing another model name, I'm less enthusiastic. Re-introducing the Cobalt moniker would create confusion and rekindle a level of association that hasn't been entirely favorable. I see the Cruze as a family of compacts and one that would easily accommodate base and performance coupes.
    the cobalt was just starting to get street cred...and you want to kill it? why start the process all over again with a new name?

that is a gorgeous compact coupe. it gives a nod to the cobalt, but looks cleaner and leaner.

i'd see a 1.4t, 2.4 sidi, and even the 2.0t. we don't need to proliferate engine choices. if anything, gm should try to get the 1.3 or 1.7 cidi.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The Cruze should have come out of the gate as both a coupe and sedan period with a performance model available. I'll never to this day understand why GM introduces there cars a little bit at a time very slowly over several model year runs. By the time they have all models out interest in the brand dissipates and they are left with slow sales.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I certainly looks awesome! That being said, at the price levels you're referring to, it overlaps way too much with the Camaro LS/RS which makes up the lion's share of Camaro purchases. I don't think GM would create something like this, considering all the money they need to recoup to cover the investment in the Zeta platform (which ironically after all the hubbub will apparently disappear in favor of Alpha after 2013 or so).

That being said, I sure hope something like this gets brought to the market.

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Terrain/99 Sierra/08 Sky RL

It def. needs to be a Cruze. Sales on this car will be minimal and niche and therefore to not show a low volume car, the sales need to be lumped in with the regular Cruze and its variations...
    Kris Creed | Sales & Leasing Consultant | GUS REVENBERG CHEVROLET-BUICK-GMC | Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by 01IntrigueGX Hidden Content
    A position should be made for you in GM Marketing. Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by germeezy1 Hidden Content
    They should have given him the position yesterday! Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

I liked this concept better with the shorter front overhang, and when this coupe concept was a New Chevy Monza maybe even built off of the Kappa platform since its used for nothing now. I think it would be a bigger seller espicially with the Drift guys, and the tuner kidz. IMO.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    Looks really good... great work. I am getting a bit tired of the Chevy corporate grill though... got any other ideas for the grill?
    You and me both. This really dates the whole line of Chevys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by FBODYRULES View Post
    would have to be cheaper than a base model camaro.
    something wrong with the front fender but this is nice...

This car is beyond sexy...

Throw in a 2.0 T with a 6-speed manual and I will be the first person in line...
    Hidden Content

New Aluminum body? GM don't currr

6.2 for life

Walking
    Thanks

looks great. How about "Monza"?

Thanks

Dear Mr. Whiteaker,

I'm asking you to take a good look at the attached designs for a coupe and convertible version of the Cruze.

In my estimation, you should immediately hire the young man responsible for this design as your "Czar of Design". Mr Welburn can be retired with a full pension (what ever the government will allow).

I have to end this letter and go look for my socks. Yes these designs blew my socks off.

Respectfully,

XP300
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I think its a great idea to have the coupe-based Cruze be called the Cobalt. The Cobalt Coupe has a very strong following - the Cobalt sedan did not.

I'm sure they could name it in such a way to have both Cruze/Cobalt be considered under the same sales total.
    Current Rides
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 - 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 5M - 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 3500/5M - 1993 Honda Accord EX 2.2/5M

Old Rides
    1998 Ford Explorer XLT - 1996 Chevy Camaro RS - 1989 Chevy Beretta GTU - 1994 Chevy Beretta Z26 - 1993 Chevy Beretta 3.1 - 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5 "AE86" - 1986 Honda CRX DX - 1989 Honda CRX Si - 2003 Honda Civic EX - 1989 Honda Civic LX

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

It was just a quick and dirty chop that took 5 mins to show the 'look' of the Cobalt. But some people are fussier than others.....
    All I can say is, Get this car into Production and FAST! Before somebody else does... This car, just like that, is GM's golden opportunity to OWN the coupe market. It's just That good... Plain and simple. Talk about getting people into Chevrolet showrooms... Get it Done.

and I'm liking Monaro's Black coupe a little more now after comparing the two. (for hours).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Sweepspeare on a Chevy? Besides that, I really like the Cruze coupe shots. I hope it not only happens, but the production model is similar to these chops.
    Current Ride:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Previous Rides:
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Coupe)
    1992 GMC Conversion Van

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    Sorry Monaro. Yours are nice, but I like this coupe rendering better. Plus, it looks more production ready, as it looks like it shares more parts with the production Cruze than yours. Just my opinion. Do love your convertible, though.
    I like it too, but the only body panel it shares with Cruze is the hood. Not even any glass is shared... So my reasoning is that if you are going to pay to make all new panels then why not make them look more unique.

In a few years the Cruze Coupe, once there are a million shabby Cruze sedans on the street, will be considered cheapened by looking too much like the Cruze. My Cobalt, while using the cheap platform and components of the Cruze would be far more prized over time for NOT looking like the Cruze I think.

Thanks

Like the chops, but I'd prefer GM scrap the "Cobalt" moniker.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information